1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you against objecting to fantasy deals in your league?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Clutch, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Two teams made a deal last night in our fantasy baseball league:

Xavier Nady for Ben Sheets.

Our league is also dependent upon pitching. Both of these team owners are great guys and I know they're doing this legit, but the current owner of Sheets (in my opinion) isn't thinking clearly. Maybe I'm crazy, but seems like a terrible deal.

Would you risk speaking up to object it, knowing it could cause problems down the line? I already voted against it, but I feel I need to say something.

2. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

If two people make a legit trade and you don't think anything fishy is going on, then I wouldn't object to it. Let them do their thing. Perhaps the guy getting rid of the better pitcher has some sort of insight that the guy will get hurt, or get busted for roids or something.... who knows, but i'd let it fly if it were me. You just never know how it will turn out until it turns out.

3. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

That trade is whack, to be sure. But vetos piss me off, so I'd probably let it go. Kudos to the Nady owner for selling high and getting a strong return.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

That's a moronic trade and I'd definitely voice my opinion on the league message board. VERY unbalanced and eyebrow raising trade.

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

A couple of years ago I made a trade in our league that everyone decried, but my team improved as a result and it turned out to be a great move in the long run.

I definitely espouse the laissez fair approach.

6. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

It's hard to determine that kinda stuff. Usually, I try to find every reason that the trade is legit in closeness. However, in your case, Nady's destined to fall, and I'd probably think twice and maybe even veto it. Then again, Nady's been hyped up for so many years ... but it's Ben Sheets....

7. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I agree with Longhorn, that trade isn't even close. The reason I would speak up is because, even though he may have insight, he could get so much more for Sheets than just Nady.

Pugs

8. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I'd veto a trade like that as soon as I saw it in any of my leagues.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I only veto trades in my leagues that are ABSOLUTELY INSANE.

This one, as much as it pains you to see, really isn't on that level yet.

Yes, I agree Sheets could have brought in more. But you can't penalize someone for taking a deal.. maybe he's too lazy to figure out what all he can get for Sheets and would rather take a deal right now because he wants to get rid of Sheets?

Yes, I agree that Nady won't keep this up. But you can't penalize someone for analyzing current statistics as opposed to ones that haven't occurred yet.

You have to realize that people make deals for so many reasons.. of course I don't know the makeup of the guy's roster who dealt Sheets, but it could make more sense with that. Regardless, strictly looking at the players.. if he thinks Nady will continue this all year, it's not a bad trade obviously. Projects out to somewhere in the neighborhood of 40+ HRs. In a loaded lineup where he could score a bunch of runs if he eventually moves up in the order.

And Sheets..first of all, has a bit of an injury history of late. 2nd, as good as he is, he's only really had 1 incredible season (2 years ago). And he's never won more than 12 games in a season (though that was obviously the Brewers fault that year). Last year his ERA jumped again a little bit, and this year he started out on the DL.

I'm just pointing out factors.. I think Sheets is obviously the better player, and I wouldn't make the deal. But I wouldn't veto it either.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Don't know the rosters, but the guy trading Sheets must feel he has enough pitching, and Sheets is pretty unreliable when it comes to staying healthy.

I think he could probably get more, but I wouldn't veto it.