1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we underrating Kevin Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wikiwiki, Sep 9, 2010.

1. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

It seems like when we first got Kevin, people were really excited, but nowadays a lot of people are for some reason very down on him. What's changed?

In the Carmelo trade talk, I've seen Kevin bandied about as less important for our team than AB ( :confused: :eek: :confused: ). So anyway, when I saw the latest RR video, *deep announcer voice* "One of the most efficient wing scorers in the history of the NBA" */deep announcer voice* I decided to look up the efficiency stats and see where he actually ranks:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ts_pct_career.html

In true shooting percentage (taking into account free throws and the extra worth of 3 pt shots) he is ranked 19 all time. On top of that, a lot of those guys in the top 18 are naturally more efficient positions (like centers/forwards). In his position I see maybe 5 or 6 guys ahead of him. :eek: :eek:

Some people have complained that his efficiency has dropped off in the last 3 seasons. But even if we take his numbers from last season with the Rockets, he is ranked 34th all time.

Who is ahead of him at the guard position? Guys like:
    • Reggie Miller
    • Magic Johnson
    • John Stockton
    • Brent Barry
    • Steve Nash

That's some pretty damn elite company!

P.S. Looky who's at #21 (and played with astronomical efficiency in his last season with us)!!

This is seriously going to be a sweet season, as long as we stay moderately healthy.

2. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

I like him, but he looks like he would break in a strong wind....I wouldnt be upset if we just kept the team the way it is...

3. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

[*]Reggie Miller
    [*]Magic Johnson
    [*]John Stockton
    [*]Brent Barry
    [*]Steve Nash

I would rather have everyone on that list except Brent Barry over Kevin Martin.

I do believe K-Mart is underrated by NBA Fans and Clutch Fans. He is the all star on your team who doesn't care if he gets any credit or recognition. He doesn't mind taking 8 shots in a game, and when teammates want him to create a shot he is not shy about it.

Landry was good, but Martin will take the Rockets from a top 5 team in the west to a top 5 team in the NBA.

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

The people who were really excited about getting him are probably not the same people who are very down on him.

Personally, I see him as the 2nd best player on this team, a perfect complement to Yao on offense (as in, I don't think there's another wing player in the entire NBA who plays a better 2 man game on offense with Yao than Martin), a poor defender, and lacking in clutchness and intangibles. He's a valuable member of this team.

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Simply put, yes we are underrating him...

but only on his health....

6. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i heard he was working on putting on some weight over the summer. i wonder if he actually did.

yes, i think he is very underrated *when healthy*

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Yes many people are underrating him for his body and his health, his health and his body are effy but his scoring ability and IQ are very high, we are lucky to have this guy.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I just don't think people have watched enough of him yet. A full season with the Rockets should really establish his value on the current team.

9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

"We" aren't, they are.

1 person likes this.
  10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Don't put me in that group, I love Kevin Martin. In a theoretical Melo trade I wouldn't want either him or AB to leave, but if need be I would trade Brooks first.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yes, big time.

DD

12. bj2flyy

bj2flyy Member

He is very underated it's prolly cuz he never gets in the playoffs to get credited for..but this year he should get more noticed around in the NBA..becuse he's with the rockets the most famous team around.. Instead of the ****y kings

13. jfidd11

jfidd11 Member

no way he's 6'7

14. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I'm not. He's a proven scorer, very efficient, and obviously tough. I was blown away when I first saw his free throw attempts per game. I forsee a so-so 20 or so game start, say 10-10 with people calling for Adelmans head or threads we need to blow up the team. We have to remember Yao will need time to get re-acclimated and in NBA shape and for Martin to learn to take advantage of Yao's presence. I think the two are going to perfect together. Morey knows exactly what he's doing. Once this team starts rolling, which as been after the All-Star break the last 4 or 5 years, I can see us winning 75% of our games.

Barring injury.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I know Morey doesn't underrate him and that's all that matters.

He is going to be fantastic this season with the return of Yao and the passing of Brad Miller to get him even better shots.

16. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Personally, I love Martin's game. He's the kind of guy that will look for his shot, but if it's not there he wont force a bad one like a t-mac or Ariza. Not to mention he's the absolute perfect 2 if Yao's at the 5. Martin's game is at it's best when defenders are trying to close out on him, and hopefully that will happen a lot when Yao passes out of the double teams he's inevitably going to face.

17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

25 ppg is not a stretch.

18. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Cause his defense stinks. For all the good he does on the offensive end he gives up the points on the other end.

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Love the guy, his uncanny ability to draw fouls is way too much fun to watch.

This team is well balanced and as always *if healthy* should compete for a ring.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm one of those that are underrating him.

I don't want him gone or anything, nor do I dislike him. However if we were to trade for Melo, I would not mind too much if He or AB were traded.