1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we the best team in the league?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sane, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Sane

Sane Member

Assuming we actually sign any of Fisher, Snow, Arroyo, Barry or trade for anyone in that class.... Do you guys think we're the best team in the league?

Looking at Minnesota, I didn't know they'd be that good. I always knew they'd improve a lot, but best record in the league? Conference Finals? Then during the finals, I realized how good they were. Garnett led 7 crappy teams in the playoffs, but now had Sprewell, Cassell, and Szerbiack playing with him. Suddenly, Garnett is hte MVP.

So now I look at the Rockets. I think to myself, Yao is EASILY the 2nd best C in the league. Closest players to him? Ben Wallace and Brad Miller. If Shaq comes back from this summer out of shape, I think him and Yao will be neck and neck for best C honors. I really do. Yao's gotten 2 months of rest, and will have a couple of weeks before training camp. He's also getting NBA-style coaching this sumemr from Del Harris, so that should help. The difference between him and Shaq last season? Kobe Bryant. Of the 9 games we played against the Lakers, Kobe was the most important figure on their team. Can Yao make his mark now that he has his man on the perimeter as well?

As if anyone could forget, then there's T-Mac. before last season, T-Mac was considered by many (probably not the majority though) to be the second best Guard in the league behind Kobe. He went downhill last season as his ppg and % took a hit, not to mention him sitting out the end of the season for basically no reason. But at just 25, it's ludicrous to think he's "lost it." Is it safe to assume he'll be as good as Kobe now that he has a damn good C and a damn good team to play with?

Yao was second to Shaq, when Shaq had Kobe. T-Mac was second to Kobe when Kobe had Shaq. Now that they've found each other, can they be the best tandem, and in turn the best team in the NBA? I'm generally not an optimistic person, but I really don't find this far fetched. Only Pat Ewing has eclipsed 20ppg under JVG. This coming season, both Yao and T-Mac could eclipse that. TWO 20+ppg scorers on JVG's team? Can you say unstoppable?

I don't think it's that far fetched. I think that if we get a PG and a backup C, we are the best team in the league, regardless of what Shaq, Kobe or anyone else does.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wait and see.

3. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Spurs will be pretty good.We haven't seen what they're going to do with their money. Indiana could do something exciting this offseason. Detroit looks to stay strong.

But yeah, I like this team. I like the way we should play. I hope JVG is ready to coach a team that shoots really, really well and plays team d.
    They OUGHT to be the most fun team to watch in the league.

Deliver the product, Jeff! Don't bog them down.

I like our team much better than LA, Sacto, Dallas, Phoenix, Memphis. All teams that we trouble for us before.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

We are getting better. I think adding Barry and then perhaps adding a few more defensive bench role players (Eric Williams, Brian Skinner) would definitely put us up in the elite category.

Keep in mind though, this team is going through a total transformation. There are going to be a TON of new faces on this roster this season. It will take time for this team to mesh as a unit.

5. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, at that time people were mostly saying that he and Kobe were equal or McGrady was better. This past season tarnished his reputation a bit, but the more serious writers out there are still saying that he is or is close to the best player in the league.

Having said that, it is way too early to say how well they will do this year.

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Pistons are still the best in the league despite Losing Okur!.

1:pistons

2:Indiana ( imagine if they get shaq:eek: )

3:Spurs

4:Wolves

5:Rockets

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I just can't see the Pistons and Pacers being ranked number 1 and 2 respectively, especially if the Pistons can't keep Rasheed and/or the Pacers really trade Harrington.

Anyway, it'll all be about chemistry (and who we sign in the offseason) with us.

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I went to La Porte high school. We were ranked "the best" in Texas 5A football while I was there. We lost embarrasingly early in the playoffs that year.

I don't want to be the best. I want a championship.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

never seen them play, so i can't say. a team is more than names on paper. sometimes a team is less than names on paper.

10. MadMax

what year?? 78??

11. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

That would be ideal for this team if we could somehow snatch Williams+Skinner and a starting guard. No that wouldn't be ideal that would be a dream. I wish there were some way we could make it happen. Even though I don't like Fisher if he were willing to split the mle with Eric Williams and if Skinner accepted the veterans exception that could happen. At least I wish.

As far as us being the best team, I still think San Antonio is the team to beat. Year in and year out they put a team out there that is capable of great things. But if they were to lose Ginobli (Who always kills us) to free agency I don't think there is any way they could replace that guy. I think that could put us over the Spurs. Otherwise the championship is theirs to lose.

12. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Pistons will retain sheed( 10 mill a year) while the Pacers who might trade harrington, will obviously get something in return. Pacers had the best Record last year and if they do the Artest harrington bender trade for shaq, they'll be awesom. shaq and J O'neal front line would punish anyother teams Period.

13. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Shaq isn't going to Indiana. The onlyo options are Sacramento and Dallas.

14. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Unless Cuban does a U Turn and says Dirk is on the block forget dallas. that leaves the kings, who are they gonna offer?. i saw an article where it said Pacers, Memphis( west says not interested) Hornets are the teams he wants to get Traded to.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

7'6".

Gentleman, I' believe you'll find these exact same measurements for Yao at our gym in houston.

82-0.

16. Bruce

Bruce Member

17. MadMax

how do you feel about dallas??

i have to say...as a rocket fan...i PRAY that cuban is dumb enough to move nowitzki out of our conference. i don't think shaq has a ton of years left...and it seems to me he's getting worse, not better, at this point. so.....i welcome a mavs deal. i hope the excitement of making the deal gets cuban to make a dumb move.

18. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I agree with you, moving Dirk for shaq would cripple the mavs in the long run.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Kings can offer Webber, Christie, and Bobby Jackson for Shaq. If they do, I'm willing to bet the Lakers would have to strongly consider that.

20. PXZ

PXZ Member

No way we are the top 5, let alone the best. Yao is the 2nd best "center" (IMO, two Oneal are better) but he is nowhere near dominating. Center in the league are so pathetic that Malguir(sp), B Miller were making all-stars. T-Mac is a top 10 player but YM is hardly a top 20.