1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we sleeping on Will Levis?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Dec 31, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And look at players like Josh Johnson, Dwayne Haskins, Jamarcus Russell, Josh Dobbs, Jacoby Brissett, Josh Freeman, Jason Campbell, EJ Manuel for comps to Stroud. Big average QBs that can’t read a playbook.

And Seneca Wallace, Tyrod Taylor, Troy Smith for small QBs like Young.
    Keep up the stupid stereotypes

raining threes likes this.
  2. raining threes

I dont just look at white QB's, I look at all QB's.

The only talent you can say that has Levis talent out of your failed list is Locker and his heart wasn't in football. Yes Lynch could throw a ball a mile and was mobile. But he played in a gimmicky offense and had accuracy issues. The rest of the guys you listed were one year wonders.

I see Levis as a Mahomes/Allen type talent that needs a couple of years development. Do I trust the Texans org to develop Levis properly? Not a chance, if Kubiak (And I'm not a fan of Kubiak the HC, too conservative for my taste.) was the HC and picked Levis I would be on board with the pick, because I know Kubiak was a great developer of QB's.

Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Levis is not even a one year wonder. There is nothing special in his production on the field. NOTHING.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There’s nothing special about Stroud at all. He put up the same numbers a bunch of other Ohio St busts did.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Go look at the PRODUCTION on the field for Stroud and Young. Those QBs you listed did not produce career numbers like Stroud and Young. None of them.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um, No one at Ohio State is even CLOSE to CJ Stroud's numbers. 85 TD, 12 Ints (69.3 comp.%, 9.8 yards per att.) in 2 years. Fields was 63 TDs, 9 INTs in 2 seasons with limited time in a 3rd season. Fields did not throw the ball like Stroud. Stroud is probably the best QB in OSU's history.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You know this isn’t accurate right?
    Haskins had way better numbers than Stroud

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Look at single season instead of using career.

9. raining threes

2 yrs ago he lead Kentucky to their best season in their modern day history and looked very good leading them, he helped make WanDale Robinson a high 3rd rd pick and Robinson should've gone higher. IMHO

Last year he had a bad year, where yes he made bad decisions, but how much of that was because of playing behind a bad ol and being somewhat shell shocked? In addition to having lesser weapons around him. Do I want Caserio to draft Levis? No, but make no mistake Levis has gifts that few QB's have. I just dont trust the Texans org to develop him properly.

#109 raining threes, Jan 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Haskins threw for 4800 yds 70% and 50/8 td/int ratio.
    Stroud hasn’t put that up

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Also if you’re going career, JT Barrett is better than Stroud. How did that work out?

12. raining threes

I can name QB's by the dozens who had great college careers with less talent around them than Stroud has had and didn't amount to much in the pro's. Look at the top 7 QB's in the NFL right now and their college production.

Mahomes- Good numbers but not great numbers

Hurts- Above avg numbers but nothing to write home about.

Burrow- Had one of the greatest college seasons ever, but was thought he might be a one year wonder, who was only good because he had Chase/Jefferson/Marshall to throw too.

Brady- you know his college history

Rodgers- Good but not great numbers in college

Herbert- Same as Rodgers. Was said to not be a leader in the draft process.

Truth is if you go strictly by college numbers then you're going to draft more busts than not. (A long list of Ohio St. QB's before Stroud comes to mind) Using your metrics (College stats) Case Keenum should've been a high draft pick and an all pro level player.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Strong arm over numbers. That is all Levis has. He hasn't produced in big games. "He can make all throws"...so? If you can't make a completion, who cares? It is numbers against the BEST competition. That is what Young and Stroud has. And it is not just "numbers", It is some of the best numbers by QBs in college football history against Big Ten and SEC competition. We are not talking about Timmy Chang against the WAC or Keenum against CUSA competition.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

2021: 4435 yards, 44 TDs, 6 INTs, 71.9 comp.%...10.1 yards per attempt.
    2022: 3688 yards, 41 TDs, 6 INTs, 66.3 comp%...9.5 yards per attempt.

Dwayne Haskins had ONE year. There were question about his work ethic. He never faced a team like Georgia.

CJ Stroud doesn't have those questions. The fact Stroud produces 2 seasons very close in numbers to each other make him different than Haskins.

Will Levis:

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG
    2022: 185 283 65.4 2,406 8.5 19 10 70
    2021: 233 353 66.0 2,826 8.0 24 13 79
    2020: 33 55 60.0 421 7.7 1 0 74
    2019: 28 47 59.6 223 4.7 2 2 44

#114 Mr.Scarface, Jan 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  15. raining threes

I just showed you a list of the top 7 QB's in the NFL and their college production. You can choose to ignore them if you wish. Fact is the NFL QB position is about talent level and the ability to develop that talent physically, but most of all mentally. I dont think the Texans org can develop a raw guy like Levis, so I dont want them to pick him. Stroud despite his numbers is behind on the mental part of the NFL game just like all of the other OSU QB's due to the gimmicky offense he played in. Young is NFL ready tomorrow to go out and win games to bad he's so small and would be a one in a million QB to win a SB at his size. With that said, I wouldn't pick a QB in this draft, but if I had to pick one it would be Young. Less development is needed with him.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Stop with the excuses. Haskins was better than Stroud in individual season.
    They’re both average to below average athletes that put up big numbers in a similar system with elite talent. Specially Stroud.

One game against Georgia doesn’t change the fact he hasn’t produced against good competition and struggles under pressure.

Also, if one game against Georgia is enough. Levis had a good game against them and LSU.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Stop it. Young and Stroud are not the same.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Also, Levis has more than just a strong arm.
    There’s not another QB in this draft with his arm talent and athleticism. He also put up better numbers than Richardson who is the only physical comp in the draft.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Behind? Stroud against Georgia had one of the best games in history on the CFP.

Brady's college numbers were down because he split time at QB with Drew Henson.

Everyone of those QBs in college, you listed, LOOK 100 times better than Levis in college.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Richardson is a raw talent. He is not in the same class as Young and Stroud. Levis is Jake Locker, Blake Bortles, etc.....