1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we sleeping on Will Levis?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Dec 31, 2022.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Even Trevor Lawrence has prototypical size but in college was nowhere near the processor that Young is. He had trouble in the NFL reading defenses but seems to have figured it out. That won't be an issue with Young.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We better start looking for new coaches quickly then! We also need to sign at least one WR who has the type skills we lost with Hopkins.

Two Sandwiches and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed on all points

Hey Now! likes this.
  4. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Tbf I'm no expert on college football at all. And that was my impression based on reading about Stroud, I had pretty much written him off as an option for the Texans but he seemed to be making very good plays against the pressure and improvising in his last game against the best defense in football. He was faster than I expected as well

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. texans1095

texans1095 Member

You're right to be wary of Levis' college production. He couldn't get the starting job at Penn State, transferred to UK and had one really good year with a McVay disciple as his OC (running an extremely QB friendly style of offense), then the OC leaves and Levis goes back to being average statistically. Count me out on Levis no matter what his measurables are or how far he can throw a ball or whatever crap reasons some executives will come up with to rank him higher than Young or Stroud.

javal_lon likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He has ok build up speed, similar to Mills. But not elusive or quick, he’s a plodder.
    Honestly he’s a polished Mills, which in theory would be ok but not when he has Quincy Avery and Mulugheta in his corner

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Bahahahaha you just used Wilson’s stats from THIS SEASON? What about the back to back super bowls he went to?!

STR8Thugg, Sooty and Two Sandwiches like this.
  8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

She was also very loud in her backing of Davis Mills coming into this season. For some people, my sister included, height means everything.

Sooty likes this.
  9. oelman44

oelman44 Member

i mean

red5rocket and Fulgore like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, that’s not much different than what Mills has been doing mobility wise. He’s not a guy that’s going to make a ton of plays off script

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  11. oelman44

oelman44 Member

maybe fair on mobility, but I’ve never seen Mills make plays like that in college tape against far inferior competition.

I was completely sold on Young before this game. All I had heard coming in was Stroud is a great pocket passer, makes great on tempo reads, strong arm and good accuracy, all great except one glaring weakness - struggles mightily under pressure and can’t improvise at all if plays break down. First full game I watch him all season in the biggest game of the year against the best defense in the league and that weakness was just non existent.

I’d be happy with either Young or Stroud. I think both are very likely to be good NFL quarterbacks with elite upside potential. Levis seems to have the highest ceiling but a much lower hit-rate.

ROXRAN and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Shows how a bad team like ours makes a QB struggle. We have no great offensive line or wide receivers and our defense is in the bottom tier of the league. Even with all his experience he isn't good playing on a weak team.

13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Ok, had to weigh into this debate, because Alabama is virtually always in the Top 5 for recruiting. Let's look back over the last 4 years to see how they compare with the rest of CFB...

2019: #1 https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/
    2020: #2 https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/
    2021: #1 https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/
    2022: #2 https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

I think trying to drive any narrative that Bryce didn't have the benefit of one of the best recruiting machines in the Nation is inaccurate. Note that Ohio State was in Top 5 in 3 of those 4 classes. Meanwhile Kentucky was 34, 25, 35 and 14 from 2019-22.

All of these kids are talented and each come with some great credentials. Looking at the 2020 Class (staying with 247 rankings) Bryce was #2 overall player and best QB , CJ was #42 overall and #3 QB https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/ .

Will Levis was 2018 class and was like #652 overall and 49th QB just ahead of some kid named Brock Purdy... https://247sports.com/Season/2018-F...?InstitutionGroup=highschool&PositionGroup=QB

No point to those individual rankings for me, I just find it interesting to look back as they came out of HS. For reference, arguably best QB in NFL--Mahomes was #398 Nationally and #50 in Texas in 2014 class. He certainly blossomed as a pro.

Bigearz and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I would still rather have Wilson while I build the team up than Davis mills. Bryce young had an o-line averaging 6’5” so we know seeing over them isn’t a problem. He also didn’t have any serious injuries due to getting hit by players that will be drafted in the NFL. Also, forget looking at who is or isn’t successful in the NFL, what’s the last player that got hurt because they were too small and got tackled too hard? Considering the fact that he is damn near elite in every other category, I’m willing to roll the dice.. but hey, I remember how much you loved giving prototype mills a chance and how did that work out?

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I always root for giving guys a chance on our team. I wasn't one of those hoping Mills would fail like so many others. I knew he barely had any college experience and was hoping another year would make a difference. Of course I rooted for him, just like I would root for any QB we have to do well.

Nobody, including me had him picked as some elite QB to draft that year to take over this team. We didn't risk a top pick on him. Our hands and money were tied up from Watson sitting his sorry ass out while perving during a pandemic and stalking the internet for victims to get off on by luring them to town. We had no choice, so I rooted for the next man up. I would rather have any good QB while rebuilding this team. Make no mistake about that, even if it's a free agent.

If we draft Bryce I hope he's great. We have a LOT of rebuilding to do. It can't all happen at once, so I want the top picks at every chance we get. We need defensive studs big time too. I don't think we will go wrong drafting Will Anderson, another defensive stud, or any other top draft pick at QB. This team needs some elite talent added. We need better coaches. We need better wide receivers. Our guys have defenders stuck like glue on them. Our defense needs HUGE upgrades. That's why I was leaning towards the top defensive pick Will Anderson, and the best QB after him or a free agent while rebuilding.

It's a coin toss for me. I understand a top defensive pick won't make as quick of change as a QB, but in the long run it could, with more additions and a great QB prospect added. I also believe we need the best coaches we can get for any team we rebuild, and I've lost faith in Lovie and Pep being the ones of our future.

#75 deb4rockets, Jan 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Definitely agree on the new coaches. In fact, if we don’t fire them, then I’m fine with not picking a QB. No reason to waste a year of development with these coaches. As for defense, I agree, the front 7 needs major work, but I’m not as high on Anderson, and seeing how Clowney faired scares me too. We have a ton of picks and a ton of holes. I would go QB/WR with first 2 picks. Then OL/DL with 3rd and 4th picks. We also have a lot of money and I would rather sign a vet DL than a stopgap QB.

Deep Steel Truth likes this.
  17. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Everyone knows and believes that Alabama has one of the greatest recruiting runs in history. The point I (and many others are making) is that the guys that Bryce were throwing to this season weren't as good as the past, or the rivals rankings showed. At the end of the day, Bryce had the season he had with a RB leading the team in targets. 6 guys that had at least 25 catches on the season. Compared to Ohio State that had 2 ELITE WR's who both cleared 1100 yards Receiving, Yet CJ Stroud played 1 more game than Bryce, and threw for only 300 more yards.

The entire crux of this argument, is no one should try to take away Bryce's accomplishments or skills because "He quarterbacked Bama....anyone could do that..."

cmoak1982 and Omihall23 like this.
  18. raining threes

That Clemson coaching.

I'm hoping Dabo doesn't screwup Klubnik.

primtim24 likes this.
  19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'd love to be the team that gets Sean Payton to come out of retirement, knowing we can pick up a franchise QB and more. I know Denver is interviewing him and he could even come back to New Orleans, but I wish we would make him an offer.

houstonstime likes this.
  20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

A qb that is only 6'0 ain't the end of the world. If he has all the tools, I'm sure he will b fine.