1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we sleeping on Will Levis?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Dec 31, 2022.

1. BballFacts

BballFacts Member

Bryce Young is the #1 overall pick, that's all that matters. Houston always overcomplicate plain things. Every other fanbase and team owners in the nfl know Bryce Young is a no-brainer#1 except houston fans and owner, it's quite amazing actually.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jermaine-burton-wr-alabama-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/.amp/news/jermaineburton

57377886-8FFD-406C-90E5-5392C67578F5.jpeg

3. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Oh ok cool. I see that both of those lists had him there precisely for the reasons we're discussing; the thought was being the #1 guy for the Heisman winner would propel him to greatness. And it didn't really. Watching Bama this season, it was obvious that he was a very good player, but I still feel comfortable believing that Bryce didn't have the awesome top-notch talent around him that people associate with Bama QBs.

Not to mention, no one seems to mention this as a knock on CJ Stroud, when OSU has been PUMPING out top-notch WR's for the last few seasons. But definitely thanks for the info.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t want to knock Young, the kid is literally everything I look for in a QB. I care far more about arm talent and processing/reads than mobility or size. But fact still remains, he might end up being the smallest QB to ever start in the modern era. I have real doubts he’s even 5’10

5. raining threes

What were Allen's numbers in a much weaker conference?

I'm not a fan of Levis.

I just don't think college numbers translate to the NFL.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. raining threes

Doug Flutie?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Just as I thought. Nothing recent because he didn’t have the success that people were projecting. They thought he would transfer in like Jameson Williams did and get vaulted up to the 1st round. He just didn’t perform that way. The running back had the most targets for a reason. Burton and Brooks struggled to get separation throughout the year. Only towards the end of the season and especially in the last game did they start to look better. If either of them entered the draft this year they would go in the 4th round or later which is why they’re not coming out.

primtim24 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

2-3 rd is where they were projected before the combine for this year. Don’t need to exaggerate to try and prove your point.

Point still stands that this “talent” deficiency you claim at receiver isn’t even remotely true, and if Young needs top 10 receivers every year to be successful, he’s not worth number 1 pick.

9. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I’m not exaggerating. There are legitimately 15+ receivers in this draft class that performed better than both of them. You can’t keep reaching for preseason projections when draft projections are fluid and based on performance on the field. Their current projection isn’t that great compared to their expectations. That’s a fact.

Young was still successful this year despite Alabama’s defense not performing that well and the offensive inconsistency with BoB’s play calling and drop off in receiver talent. Ultimately, the lost games had much more to do with the defense than the offense. The same way that Drake Maye’s and Caleb Williams losses are usually much more on the defense. The drop off in receivers is just a data point to help explain the lower numbers for Young compared to last year.

10. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I think people should examine this as well. Josh Allen's numbers were terrible against extremely weak competition. But I think his NFL success has been the exception, and not the rule. Because Brian Daboll is just that good of a coach to make Josh Allen what he made him. But we've seen guys with the size and big arms come in and play terribly. The Texans alone have their own list of big armed guys who didn't work out... Ryan Mallet, Brock Osweiler, David Carr (to a degree). But outside of our franchise, we're all familiar with Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, etc.

I just feel like Levis has a lot of the tools on paper, but he doesn't seem like a guy who will elevate his team around him. He seems like the guy you need All-Pros everywhere for him to remotely succeed. To me, I'd comp his career expectation to a Ryan Tannehill type mold. Lots of tools, average in college, but with good coaching, can be good, without it, will be out of the league in no time...

11. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Post makes some good points but I still would be pretty disappointed if we land with Levis. Never been a fan of the high-rated QBs on physical attributes that stunk in college. If you can't figure it out against college competition, you're just supposed to magically develop the instincts/processing of a good QB in the pro's? Is Josh Allen the only player like this that has panned out?

Don't overcomplicate it IMO. Young and Stroud are good football players. Will Levis has not proven that.

primtim24 likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The problem with this sentiment is Young didn’t elevate his teammates, if the receiving talent was as bad as some say he still should have had them in the playoffs. Specially considering how much talent is on the team as a whole.

Also, Levis has some elite tape against elite competition. He also has had tape against bad competition.

The real question is, with a good coach like Daboll. Who’s he getting more out of between the top 3 QBs? Levis has more tools than Stroud or Young, by an extreme amount

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t know where this terrible numbers thing is coming from. He had good numbers, specially in rating. Just not elite.

Stroud is not the guy, he would be the most disappointing. Besides his last game he had some of the worst numbers against pressure and elite competition

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

really every other fan base and team owner? Hell he isn’t even the first pick in the majority of mock drafts. If he was such a slam dunk there wouldn’t be so much conversation about stroud, anderson and others

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I don’t get it. Some fans have talked themselves into believing he’s a generational no doubt number 1 prospect.
    He’s not. He’s a very good to elite prospect but he has warts. Warts he can’t fix

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

he may be great and I’ll be excited if Athena Texans draft him, but to pretend he’s a slam dunk is silly. His size is a no go for me at 1.1.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Right, and I don’t get why that is looked at as a negative opinion.
    He has all the skills to be great. But doesn’t matter who you are, barely 5’10 and 185 is not going to take many hits and survive

18. showa13

showa13 Member

Levis started off hot, then the things he needs to work on got exposed(his decision making is atrocious). He has all the physical tools, but I question if he has the QB tools(processing, reading defense). He needs to sit a year and have a good QB coach/OC to help with his development.

As to the Bryce Young thing, he’s going to be polarizing. His QB tools are elite to generational, he has the ability to make every throw that will be required of him, he stays calm under pressure. His size is a huge knock though, he would be the smallest/slightest QB in the NFL(Kyler is short but more stocky, Brees was also more stocky than Young).

Personally, I would take Young. In the NFL in 2023, you need an elite QB to be successful. Will Anderson is a freak, Carter is a freak, but Young has the ability to be the unicorn(call me biased but I think playing in the SEC helps)

Deep Steel Truth and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It sure seem to me, if Bryce Young were 6'2", there would be Trevor Lawrence-like certainty with his status.

He's not, and he's not going to grow so you can't just dismiss it - but I think you roll the dice and figure it out. To do that, it requires a REALLY smart, progressive offensive mind being in the building.

20. showa13

showa13 Member

If Bryce Young was 6’2, he’d be compared to Mahomes. It’s not that he’s just small, he’s historically small, hence the polarization, and it’s a completely valid knock in this case. But I agree, roll the dice and figure it out. The last thing you wrote IMO is the most important factor in the case of all of this years incoming QBs.