1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we sleeping on Will Levis?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Processing is the most critical attribute. Plenty of strong armed, winners of the underwear Olympics flameouts in the NFL.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, but we don’t know his processing ability yet.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly I haven't even seen Bryce play. I didn't watch the game today. I'm not a big college fan except for local teams. I caught the end of the TCU game and loved seeing on a Texas team win. I did root for Ohio in State to beat Georgia though. That backfired, but I'm hoping TCU wins the Championship. I'm torn on who we should pick, because I really want the best defensive player in the draft vs tiny tot Bryce. Pip squeak quarterbacks worry me, because the NFL is so much different from college. Stroud or Bryce would be better than what we've got, but a great defense is what I want, with a good QB, and not a risk of the dice player.

4. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Great defenses and an okay can win championships agreed, but the way the NFL is set up these days, it seems that high powered offenses (think Chiefs, Buffalo, Bengals) and an okay defense can win championships.

Fulgore and Two Sandwiches like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Lmao.

Can't believe you've never seen the kid play but you trash on his size every chance you get.

Would you do the same with Drew Brees? Russel Wilson? Those guys can't possibly be good quarterbacks, can they?

Fulgore likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

So two guys in over 50 years?
    Drew Brees was a rare exception, and an inch taller, so of course I am hesitant about getting excited over a short QB. I hope he is great if we draft him, but the odds aren't making me comfortable in the big league.

I look at two guys 5' 11 like Bryce, and compare their college stats.

PCT. YDS. TD / INT. RTG
    Young 64.5 3,328 32 / 5 163.2
    Murray 69.0 4361 42 / 7 199.2
    Wilson 72.8 3175 33 / 4 191.8

Now I look at their NFL stats this season

Murray QBR (51.7)Rank 19
    RTG (87.2) Rank 23
    Wilson QBR (35.6) Rank 27
    RTG (82.5) Rank 28

So, you can laugh all you want by me being hesitant about all the hoopla, but you can't name 5 players in 50 years who were top tier quarterbacks at that height. Like I said, if we draft him I hope he does great, but it's a pot shot.

#26 deb4rockets, Jan 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    raining threes and Verbal Christ like this.
  7. raining threes

I've seen all of those guys play for yrs.

You g is very good. But I think it's dumb to place your franchise in the hands of a guy that's an inch shorter and potentially 20 LB's lighter than Wilson, . Winning a SB would make Young a true unicorn.

8. Two Sandwiches

Billy Kilmer, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Theisman, Russel Wilson, Drew Brees.

These are all super bowl QBs within the last 50 years. A few under 200 lbs. The first three from the days of great exaggeration. All played in eras where the NFL was at least less protective of quarterbacks.

If we're going to say, yeah, but which ones actually won the Super Bowl, then I'll question what your metrics of a successful number one pick is.

You should watch his tape. It's pretty good.

ROXRAN and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Russel Wilson is the only one of those guys under 6 foot like Bryce. Anyway, like I said, if we do draft him I hope he can do well as a little man. I just hope he doesn't get injured by some defensive beast tackling him, or have balls tipped by offensive linemen that are much bigger than the ave college guy. Our offensive line isn't exactly something that comforts me protecting a QB.

#29 deb4rockets, Jan 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    raining threes likes this.
  10. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

And I think this is the problem. The reasons a lot of us want Bryce, is because aside from size, his processing and anticipation are ELITE. He has so many traits that pop on film. He succeeded in destroying what many believe to be the best conference in the country.

Levis on the other hand, played the much weaker side of the vaunted SEC and played terribly. And before everyone starts digging into the "supporting cast". I agree with what other have posted, that Levis had what should've been a more than adequate supporting cast. Last season he looked bad too, and his starting 2 WRs are both in the NFL now, so I don't wanna hear it. And before we start looking at Rivals ratings, let's just make it simple.

His numbers against the SEC East were terrible.

Averages vs the SEC East: 157 yards passing/1TD/1.2 INT's per game.
    Bryce's numbers against ranked opponents this season (not including injured Arkansas game): 312 yards passing/2.6TD's/.2 INT's per game.

This doesn't even tell half the story, but it definitely tells a lot. I'm out on Levis, he's looked terrible when he's played against average competition, compared to B.Y.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t disagree with any of this, but there really isn’t a comparison between the talent level of Alabama and Kentucky.

It is stupid to minimize the elite levels and depth of talent that Bama has.

12. primtim24

I get it, but this isn't like evaluating Mac Jones throwing to DeVonta Smith, John Metchie, and Jaylen Waddle. Bryce Young's highest rated WR (Jermaine Burton) is projected to be drafted on day 3 if he's lucky (#25 rated WR prospect or worse). And somehow with this, Bryce threw for a ton of yards, and didn't make many mistakes. I just think that despite the size concerns, Bryce is one of the safer prospects in this draft IMO.

oelman44 likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That isn’t true, Burton is ranked anywhere from 1st rd to 4th rd. But that’s not even mentioning the depth in underclassmen

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Deb, we usually agree on sports but Bryce Young has zero negatives in his game besides size. Drew Brees had the same negative thrown his way…if you watch highlights of both about same age (when Drew was young) the similarities is uncanny

15. Two Sandwiches

I think Bryce is somewhere between a Deshaun Watson (scary as that is) and a Drew Brees, in terms of play style.

16. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Can you show us a ranking from this month or last month that shows him as a 1st round receiver?

primtim24 likes this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You can find them for next year right now, because he’s already said he’s staying.
    You know this already, yet you want to make unsubstantiated claims that he would be a 3/4 rounder this year……..before he lights up the combine.

18. primtim24

I understand you're trying to hammer the point home that Bryce should be graded on the "Alabama curve", but I haven't seen any reputable Draft sites (Yahoo, ESPN, WalterFootball, USA Today) that have him throwing to even a top-20 WR. Everywhere I've seen has best WR as a 4th rounder if lucky. Good combine pending of course, to get him to sneak into the 3rd.

By next year, he may be much better and be in those top rounds, but the fact remains, that in the 2022-23 season, Bryce Young threw to one of the worst (and youngest) WR groups Saban has had.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Burton and Brooks had first round grades on them going into this season. They had average seasons, the offense as a whole did. The talent is there. It’s funny that Young gets the benefit of the doubt with having “less” but the receivers don’t get the same?

20. primtim24

1.) Not to be disrespectful, but I couldn't find anything that showed they had 1st round grades. Please send a link if you can.

2.) Why would the WR's get the benefit of the doubt? They're playing with the reigning Heisman trophy winner. If you can't perform in a pass first offense, with a great QB and all the coaching in the world, then you deserve to lose that "benefit of the doubt".