1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are we sleeping on Will Levis?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Three seasons prior and same bowl win too! :)

Herbie finished his career 10-2. Both also had better peak seasons than Will but yeah need to take into account the turf toe.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Sooty

Three seasons prior and same bowl win too! :)

Herbie finished his career 10-2. Both also had better peak seasons than Will but yeah need to take into account the turf toe.

3. Sooty

Shark44, J.R., whag00 and 1 other person like this.
  4. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Watch the Colts get their guy for the next 10 years while the Texans kick the can to the future.

Shark44 likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Well we know Levis is used to subpar olines - but not at #2 please.

primtim24, Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I've been hoping for a scenario similar to what LZ mocked, but I'm starting to believe that Levis is likely #2 QB on many boards and maybe #1 on some boards. If we don't take him at #2, he's likely not going to be available unless we trade up to #3 and that will be expensive.

I don't remember a QB feeding frenzy as rampant as it seems to be this year. Maybe it's the media hype or perhaps the pressure on teams to get "their guy"--in any case I'm getting the irrational exuberance feeling.

I initially wanted to take Carter or Anderson, then Anderson or trade back and now I'll be happy with Anderson, trade back or Levis. What a rollercoaster this year has been!

Wattafan and whag00 like this.
  8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Nor at #12

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Levis at 12 would be a much better option than Stroud at 2.

10. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I’m not sure he makes it past 4…so if the Texans want him they need to just go ahead and grab him at 2.

Two Sandwiches and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

12. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Yeah I feel ya.
    Just when I think I have my personal draft board or mock set, something comes to light or I discover another exciting prospect.

raining threes and Shark44 like this.
  13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

No, what will happen is Stroud will go first, and we’ll take Levis saying that he was always our number 1 choice. Because we are the Texans and always have to act like we met the smartest in the room. He’ll have a trubisky type career and we’ll be just as far set back if we took Bryce and he got hurt.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Levis has the edge over both Young and Stroud in size, physicality, arm strength, and smarts. He'd be a great pick if we traded down from #2.

15. Sooty

Regrettably, the individual in question falls short of expectations both in his college portfolio and on-field performance, despite their potential for high achievement. There have been several instances where he has appeared overwhelmed and unprepared, like a deer in head lights.

Interesting data comparisons reveal:
    • Similar pressure rate for both QB's 28% and 33%
    • Levis had 2x the Turnover Worth Play Rate than that of Bryce
    • For big pass play percentage they're very similar 4.73% and 4.92%
    • However, here is the interesting piece, Levis' average depth of play is 20% less than that of Young
    Despite being endowed with impressive physical attributes and possessing a powerful throwing arm, the individual's collegiate statistics are comparable to that of Drew Lock, who is acknowledged for his "prototypical size," "strong arm," and "gunslinger" style, yet was also deemed a "classic boom or bust" candidate, and faced challenges with handling pressure.

houstonstime likes this.
  16. raining threes

How did these numbers look when he had a more talented team in 2021?

17. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

I'm glad you posted this because it's a perfect illustration of how casual fans rely on highlights and stats to make mistakes when evaluating talent. Bryce Young had all the talent in the world around him - from playmakers to linemen. Will Levis did not, yet he still performed and elevated his teammates. Alabama underperformed versus expectations and compared to the talent they had. Finding a QB who elevates their team DESPITE not being surrounded by talent is highly predictive of future success. Quoting stats from when a QB lined up behind an All American OL to face Austin Peay and Vanderbilt... well, that's not real useful.

GOOD DAY

Wattafan likes this.
  18. Sooty

[PREMIUM POST]
    How can a midget (in your words), out perform someone who is prototypical and has ALL the best physical traits in the wild?

- Mentally we’ve seen Levis, outscored in a cognitive function test.
    - We’ve seen Levis stand still, not knowing where to pass
    - At 24 years of age this year, he’s did a lot less than someone younger than him against the same competition. He’s older than Trevor Lawrence who has been in the league 2 years. You would expect a 24 year old tearing up the SEC not making excuses for him with his size
    - Amazing you actually haven’t seen him, coming out as a prospect he is still RAW
    - Very vanilla. Plays well against poor opponents and terrible track record against great opponents.
    - Couldn’t start at Penn State in front of Sean Clifford, despite being their highest rated recruit.
    - Turnover prone, poor processing.
    - Levis choose to go to Kentucky, Kentucky also have minimum 4 star rated OL recruits across the board.

I mean ALL the traits in the world, and he nearly put up 110 yards against Vanderbilt and they almost did win. Great performance. First class.

I love how you spin this narrative against Bryce but then use it for Mac Jones. Also so, 100% didn’t complain when Joe Burrow had Chase or Jefferson. Chase and Jefferson are worse than all star WRs like Burton, Brooks, Latu.

Realistically speaking he’s somewhere between a Lock/Trubisky and a Jay Cutler as a player. Josh Allen is the exception not the rule.

GOOD DAY

houstonstime likes this.
  19. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

[Philosophical Question]
    If your grammar is this deficient, then how can we trust your football talent evaluation? Grammar is much easier than football talent evaluation.

GOOD DAY

20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Sooty - FYI, Will Levis is 23. He doesn't turn 24 until June 27th. In contrast, Hendon Hooker is already 25, his birthday was Jan 13th. For what it's worth I think both have the potential to be pro-QBs, as well as AR. Just not sold on BY long-term and not a fan of CJ.

Sooty, whag00 and cmoak1982 like this.