1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we sleeping on Will Levis?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

It was like checking out the horse racing form. He was in my trifecta box.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Echoes my thoughts. Justin Herbert, Daniel Jones, and Josh Allen all went and competed at the Senior Bowl, but not Will Levis. Even Hendon Hooker with a torn acl is at the senior bowl. Major red flag to not want to compete and be evaluated against other prospects when given the chance.

primtim24, whag00, oelman44 and 3 others like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah. Not a fan of this, at least do the workouts

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree, this is a major red flag for me as well. If the old GM is right and he doesn't do the combine either, then I think he's probably trying to hide some type of injury that may change his eval.

#224 Shark44, Jan 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure about injury but him not being as good

primtim24 and whag00 like this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He is hiding something.

whag00 and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s had a lot of injuries, maybe something thats long term

Shark44 and whag00 like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4254238/2023/02/28/colts-will-levis-nfl-draft/

[…]

With that in mind, I asked Jeremiah and three members of The Athletic’s college football staff: Nick Baumgardner, Seth Emerson and Chris Vannini — who’ve watched Levis a lot more than I have — these two questions:

1. What is your general evaluation of Levis?
    2. Besides Allen, which current NFL quarterback would you compare Levis to?

Here’s what they said with the NFL Scouting Combine beginning Tuesday:

Jeremiah’s evaluation: “You start with the sacks and the turnovers. I mean, that’s the cause for concern. That’s the flag. So, you’ve got to navigate that, and you’ve got to dig into that if you are a team and talk to him and sit down and watch the tape and go through it and see if you can learn some things. Not all that stuff is going to be on him. When you look at some of the turnovers, there’s a good number of tipped throws. When you look at the sacks, the offensive line wasn’t very good in front of him this year, and there’s some blown protection. I would want to sit there and go through all the sacks and turnovers when you sit down with him because it is a big number and it needs to be explained. I don’t think that’s all on him.

“The injury thing is another one. I mean, I don’t want to go through and try and excuse away some issues, but when I watched him, I did not like when he was working to the left side of the field. I thought he was closed off. I thought he threw against (his body). Then I come to find out after I’ve watched the tape that he had a messed-up toe, he had a messed-up shoulder, and I think that impacted that to a degree. But the things that you can’t refute, he has a strong arm. He is a really good athlete. Especially the year before when he is healthy. You can see him as a runner. You can use him on some design quarterback run stuff as well as him just organically making things happen.

“He is tough. He hangs in there and takes shots. There are some times where I wish he would feel things better on the back side. Every time he gets hit, it’s a surprise party. I wish he just had a little bit better feel to get up and get away from some of those things. But toughness is not an issue at all. He can make every type of throw you want. It’s digging in on some of the issues to figure out what the deal is with him and why some of those things happen in terms of the turnovers and the sacks.”

Jeremiah’s NFL QB comparison: “As an athlete, I think there’s some comparison to Ryan Tannehill when he was coming out. I think you look at his frame, Dak Prescott is one. I think that’s a fair comp for him. Same conference, same build, same toughness. The stuff on Dak, when you talk to the coaches there — worker, intelligent, tough, winner. You’ll hear all those exact same things said about Levis. They rave about him. As I think about it, that might end up being the best comparison.”

Baumgardner’s evaluation: “Levis’ arm is as good as it gets in this class, perhaps the best. He can rip it from pretty much any angle, which often gets him into trouble— but can also get him out of trouble. His inconsistency as a passer mostly stems from inconsistent footwork and way too much reliance on his howitzer of an arm. Footwork can be coached and honed and improved upon. Levis’ inconsistencies take ownership for a share of his miscues last season. But Kentucky’s offense was also a mess compared to the year prior, and Levis was a bit banged up. There’s risk, but the reward is obvious when you see him throw.”

Baumgardner’s NFL’s QB comparison: “Athletically, I think he’ll wind up testing somewhere close to what Geno Smith registered when he came out about 10 years ago. Levis is in the 6-foot-2/6-foot-3 range, 220-230 pounds. He has good speed and foot quickness at his size and is a capable runner, though he needs to remember he’s better from a pocket.

“Smith is probably faster in the 40, but Levis is probably bigger and won’t have many athletic holes to his game (be it agility or explosion). He needs to be more disciplined with his feet, though. In and out of the pocket.”

Emerson’s evaluation: “I saw Levis against Georgia twice. The first time in 2021, he made zero impression, positive or negative. I actually had to look back to make sure he was Kentucky’s QB in that game. (He was, attempting 42 passes but only for 192 yards.) But given all the hype over Levis, I was well aware of him going into last year’s game, and was expecting to dismiss him. And yet, while his stats weren’t eye-popping (206 yards, one TD, one interception), I was actually somewhat impressed. In a swirling wind, Levis made some good throws. Now, was I impressed enough to think he should be the No. 1 pick? Heck no. Even a first-round pick seems a reach. But he seems a decent prospect, even if overrated by the scouts.”

Emerson’s NFL QB comparison: “Mitch Trubisky is the one that jumps to mind, not even so much in measurables, but the situation. Trubisky was the No. 2 pick the year after he played Georgia, and I also found that confounding. I get that this isn’t a science, that evaluating and projecting quarterbacks is hard, especially guys like Levis who haven’t had a lot of talent around them and have played in several different systems. But as a jaded college football writer, I look at a lot of these prospects and say: ‘Wait, shouldn’t how they perform in college mean something, especially when it’s at the highest level of college?'”

Vannini’s evaluation: “It really is wild to look back on the start of Levis’ college career, when he was basically only used as a battering ram, run-only quarterback at Penn State. The coaches never let him open things up, so he went to Kentucky and finally got to do that. While he was pretty good and certainly showed raw tools, he was never a quarterback who put a team on his back to win a huge game. If you asked me for his standout performance in college, I couldn’t tell you. He only once threw for more than 250 yards against a Power 5 team. Accuracy was an issue, and he got hit a lot.”

Vannini’s NFL QB comparison (unsure but not Allen): “It’s easy to see the comparisons to Allen, who only once threw for 300 yards against an FBS team. But Allen was a far less accurate quarterback in college than Levis was (56.2 percent versus 64.9 percent), and Allen had horrible performances against the few Power 5 teams he faced. Levis, while lacking standout performances, had plenty of solid-to-good performances on teams typically much less talented than the opponent. But the thing to remember about Allen is that he truly was a unicorn. College quarterbacks never get more accurate when they get into the NFL. Allen’s improvement in the NFL was basically unprecedented, and I wouldn’t make a top-10 draft pick thinking you can find that same kind of luck.”

9. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

To me these were the parts that stood out the most.

That's exactly how I feel. The Josh Allen comparisons are somewhat meaningless to me considering Josh Allen is 100% a unicorn, and not the rule. But as far as Levis is concerned, he's never really flashed any major performances that just stood out as amazing. (not talking about against cupcakes), I'm focusing on him putting in the unexpected performance as a big underdog or something. Unless he gets drafted by the Giants, I just can't seem him being anywhere other than the average backup range.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Saying Levis is inaccurate and Stroud is accurate is disingenuous. They have virtually the same completion percentage and one has elite talent to throw to and protect.

raining threes likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Levis is at worst the second highest upside and arguably the highest upside out of any QB in this draft. He isn’t as fast as Richardson but a hell of a lot better passer.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yes, he's hiding the suckage.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Will Levis is just another backup QB in a backup QB heavy draft.

14. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

This is why people watch tape and don’t just parrot stats. Stroud’s ball placement is far superior to Levis’. It’s also interesting that none of these draft experts thought any of Levis’ games were elite the way you do. At this point it’s clear that you just love Levis despite any of his flaws.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I watch more tape than you. That’s a guarantee. Levis is still rated high by a ton of scouts, many have him going higher than Stroud.
    Also, Stroud throws to more open wide receivers than any QB in this draft. It’s obvious you have no idea what you’re looking at when it comes to sport. So sit this one out kiddo.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Stroud will bust. And the fact that this shoulder thing with Young isn’t alarming any of you shows how biased and truly blind you are.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Levis career comp% is 64.9. Stroud is 69.3. That is NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Omihall23 likes this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

66.3 for Stroud this season
    65.4 for Levis this season

With one having elite talent around him. Keep making stupid comparisons and excuses.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Go suck off Levis, that will be the closest he comes to be a Texan.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t get mad fella, Stroud will suck whether you let him diddle you or not.