1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we second round bound yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NewYorker, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Every argument you make can be turned around. You cant just say because Battier scored 15 points it was a blowout, but if he scored 5 points it was a close loss. It is just as likely that he only scored 6 points cuz we won in a blowout and he didnt play at all in the fourth quarter as it is he scored 15 points in a game where we blew the other team out and didnt need his points.

Looking at his games from 2006, only 24 times did he not score within at least 7 points, not including the last game of the season where he played 10 min. That means in 57 of 81 games he scored at least within 3 points of his average or much higher. More importantly the Rox were 14-10 in those 24 games he didnt score at least 7 so it is hardly his lack of scoring that was costing the team victories.

Lastly, the longest strectch he went without scoring at least 7 points was three straight games. So basically, he was able to score consistently at or around his average.

2. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I don't put much stock into the team USA thing. But anyway, let's move past that.

Did he really get in the top five for DPY voting? But odd he didn't make even second team. I think he's a solid defender, but he's no Bruce Bowen.

And while Bruce Bowen is so good defensively you can afford to start him, I'm not sure Shane is.

Notice I said I'm not sure.

I do think Head is far more explosive offensively, and as a guy who only has two years experience in the NBA, he's got upside for sure. And he's honestly our best bet right now.

Look, we need Luther Head to play well and be confident if we are to make some noise. That can't happen with Tmac at the two and Battier playing the 3. Head isn't an effective point guard. Now, stats whatever, I know what I saw. He just wasn't comfortable like he was at other times.

Starting Battier - well, that's a likely outcome, and one that I won't say defies logic. But I'd like to see Head given the chance to continue blooming and I think if he got the starting 2 job, he'd make some noise.

That's my opinion.

3. Pocket Rockets

yes he finished 5th behind marion
    marion didnt make the 1st 2 defensive squads either
    we can make some noise without head playing well, especially now that we have james and brooks in the backcourt.

fair enough about your opinion, as i respect it.

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

You may question my mental and visual acuity to your heart's content. The coming season will render your judgment of athleticism astute or asinine...methinks, the verdict shall be the latter.

5. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Brooks is unknown, and James needs to show he can rebound from his atroicious season last year.

Say what you will, but I think Head is our best guard right now (not counting T-mac) and the job should be his to lose.

Head was tearing it up in April, and we were rolling. Clearly he had trouble against the Jazz, but again, it was his first playoff series, and he's young, and I'll cut him some slack.

But we'll see I suppose. If head improves, then he'll get more playing time and others will begin saying he should start. But who knowns, if we upgrade at the 2, everything changes any way (wink wink to SF)

6. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

NewYorker, who is going to make life difficult for Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter, Rashard Lewis, LeBron James, etc.? Luther Head? I think putting Luther on them will only serve to make their scoring more efficient.