1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we second round bound yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NewYorker, Jul 15, 2007.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

On offense and defense.

:D

2. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

good point

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Interestingly, there is something called "player pair stats" that shows how two guys seems to do with each other:

TMac spend 2539 minutes on the court last year, the Rockets outscored the opponent by 402 points while he was on the court. The Rockets outscore the opponents by +7.60 points per 48 minutes during this time.

TMac spend 1978 minutes with Battier on the court, the Rockets outscored the opponet by 357 points during these minutes. The Rockets outscored the opponnet by +8.66 points per 48 minutes during this time.

TMac and Head spent 1020 minutes on the court together, the Rockets outscored the opponent by 36 points during these 1020 minutes. That comes out to be a mere +1.69 points per 48 minutes.

http://www.82games.com/0607/0607HOUP.HTM

There are, of course, other factors out there, but given the season-long sample, it is fair to conclude that the Battier/McGrady pairing has performed better than the Head/McGrady pairing.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If Tracy doesn't suffer from Menstrel Cramps in the playoffs . .the rockets will make it to the Western Conference Finals
    I joke. . I joke

But really .. With Mike James and Bonzi giving us some toughness . . .
    I feel confident we will make the Western Conference Finals

Rocket RIver
    SHOCK THE WORLD!!

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

is this a AOF - Adelman Only Fan!
    *grin*

Rocket River

6. Ashes

Ashes Member

Ok, so let me get this straight. You cited an example of Battier excellent defense by bringing up a game that Kobe dropped 53 on him? Wow.

7. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

We should trade Head for a PG who can makes his own play.

8. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

:D
    Exactly

9. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

A team that can play better defense will win play off series.

10. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

44 shoots are exactly half of the total Lakers' shoots. 53 points are 1 point more than half of the Lakers' points in that game. While Yao & TMac shoot 42 times in combine and scored 69 points totally, much more efficient than Kobe.

11. Ashes

Ashes Member

Nov. 8 - Hou vs. Mil – Michael Redd drops 34 on Battier. It’s ok, Battier answered with 2 points of his own.
    Nov. 12 – Hou vs. Mia – Battier does a solid job, holding Wade to only 24…
    Nov. 14 – Hou vs. Sas – Battier holds Manu to 19, but can only muster up 5 himself.
    Nov. 16 – Hou vs. Chi – Battier is torched by Ben Gordon, who drops 36.
    Nov. 18 – Hou vs. Det – Richard Hamilton drops 30 on Battier.
    Dec. 2 – Hou vs. Cle – Battier does solid job, LBJ only scores 21.
    Dec. 12 – Hou vs. Lal – Battier does solid job, Kobe gets 23.
    Dec. 15 - Hou vs. Lal – Battier hangs his head in shame, Kobe drops 53.
    Dec. 22 – Hou vs. Sas – Manu scores 23 against Battier.
    Dec. 27 – Hou vs. Njn – First shut down, holding VC to only 12 points.
    Dec. 31 – Hou vs. Mem – Mike Miller drops 32 on Battier.
    Jan. 3 – Hou vs. Sea – Allen drops 32 on Battier.
    Jan. 8 – Hou vs. Chi – Deng drops 20 on Battier, then Gordon drops 24 on him off the bench.
    Jan. 10 – Hou vs. Lal – Solid job by Battier, Kobe held to 20.
    Jan. 12 – Hou vs. Den – Melo still suspended, if Battier guarded AI, then AI dropped 28 on him.
    Jan. 13 – Hou vs. Sac – Artest drops 34 on Battier. I remember this game, Battier just cannot stop the man, he’s too small to.
    Jan. 20 – Hou vs. Den – Melo still gone, if Battier guarded AI, then AI dropped 36 on him.
    Jan. 31- Hou vs. Sea – Allen drops 36 on Battier.
    Feb. 13 – Hou vs. Sac – Once again, Battier is manhandled by Artest, who drops 39.
    Feb. 21 – Hou vs. Mia – Dwayne Wade drops 27.
    Feb. 26 – Hou vs. Bos – Paul Pierce drops 26 on Battier.
    Mar. 2 – Hou vs. Den – Enter Carmelo. Melo drops 30 on Battier.
    Mar. 5 – Hou vs. Cle – King James drops 32 on Battier.
    Mar. 7 – Hou vs. Bos – Battier holds Paul Pierce to 20.
    Mar. 9 – Hou vs. Njn – Battier hold Carter to 14! But let’s Boki come off the bench and drop 29 on him. Come on.
    Mar. 22 – Hou vs. Det – This time Battier holds Rip to 14.
    Mar. 26 – Hou vs. Mil – Redd drops 26 on Battier.
    Mar. 30 – Hou vs. Lal – I guess Battier likes giving up 53 to Kobe, since he did it twice. 149 pts allowed to Kobe in 4 games.
    Apr. 8 – Hou vs. Sac – Yes! Battier holds Artest to 10, but Garcia comes off bench and hits 16. I wonder if some of these are more bad shooting then defense…
    Apr. 9 – Hou vs. Sea – Lewis’s only game against Battier. He hits 20.

Keep in mind I only chose the games where we faced a top scorer, who knows what may have happened in other games. (Hou vs. Min where Ricky Davis went off on Battier comes to mind). But if you review it, Battier, well, really didn’t do that great. I don’t know, just an observation.

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

No way in hell is Luther Head going to start over Shane Battier - keep dreaming, NewYorker, on that one.

I think the Rockets are second round bound because unlike last year, they actually have some other players who can create their own shots other than McGrady and Yao in Mike James and Bonzi (who was never given a fair chance by Gumby but he, Bonzi, played a big part of that).

If Scola is as good as the scouts say he is, that is another player who can shoulder some of the scoring load off McGrady and Yao. And I think all of us will be seeing a big season out of Bonzi as he is 1) playing for his next contract and 2) playing for a coach in Adelman who knows how to play his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. With him and James coming off the bench, it is like others have said, our depth has gotten very good in a hurry. And as much as I despise Alston, I think it is better for him to start and have Mike James close games out in running the point. Rafer will be fine now that he is no longer the 3rd scoring option. All he has to do is get the ball to McGrady, Yao, Scola, Bonzi (when he is in the game), even Battier, make a steal here and there and hit the occasional (note that I said OCCASIONAL) three pointer and he will be fine.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. What's the TS% of each of these players in each game?
    2. How many of the points scored were against Battier? How many were when other players (Bonzi, McGrady, Head) were guarding him?
    3. What's the TS% of each of these players during the possessions when Battier guarding him?

If you can't answer these questions, your observation is worthless.

4. Which Hou vs. Min. are you referring to?

11/28/2006 when he scored 7 points on 3-8 shooting and had 4 TO?
    12/8/2006 when he scored 6 points on 1-8 shooting and had 4 TO?
    1/7/2007 when he scored 16 points on 6-12 shooting and had 2 TO?
    2/5/2007 when he scored 3 points on 1-5 shooting and had 6 TO?

Or was it some game you imagined and decided to pull out of your ass?

Here's a link to all of the games by Ricky Davis:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3264/gamelog;_ylt=AjTmJacI.s2TsPlLcg31xb6kvLYF

Please find the game where he "went off on Battier." Thanks.

14. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

So the originator of this thread is suggesting the Rox start Head over Battier because Head is a better scorer than Shane is a defender. Im more amazed at the fact that this thread is still going than the ridiculous suggestion that started it.

So I continue reading down all the replies and find that some people think that Luther would match up better because Shane doesnt matchup well against opposing teams best offensive players. :rolleyes:

WOW!

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Ouch. Ashes has a pretty strong case. Battier is a team defense kind of guy but is far too slow to be a 1 on 1 defender like a Bruce Bowen.

16. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

does anyone here ever learn? last year everyone said we were championship bound. we arent even conference finals bound with this lineup. no way we'd beat the suns, spurs or mavs just because we added Mike James and a foreigner who has yet to prove himself in the NBA.

17. Adelman

Adelman Member

rofl hahahaha
    i completely agree :D

some people dont know what they are talking abt >.>

18. Pocket Rockets

if ashe can't provide how many of those points were actually on battier, those stats are pretty worthless.

also kobe took a ton of shots and what are the shooting percentages as well?

battier is a defensive player...to say he is not doesn't make any sense. If people bash his offense and now people bash his defense, what good is he?

19. Pocket Rockets

this is what i was referring to new yorker.

i do agree with you in that mcgrady should move to the 2, however we cannot just dispose of battier. He is a 3 and thats pretty much the majority of his minutes. Unless battier gets traded for an allstar he should be here at the 3. Dont forget our starting 5 was the most efficient in the league.

Head should not start. We still need a better starting point if rafer will still start.

20. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Well the easy answer is Utah, Denver and Golden State.