1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we second round bound yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NewYorker, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I happen to think the same way regarding Bonzi and Tracy. We honestly don't know which Bonzi will show up... the one from 2 or 3 seasons ago, or the mad waste of space we had last season. Those who have been penciling him in for major minutes and big contributions are indulging in as much fantasy as I often do this time of year with rookies that look good in the summer league or in Europe. Can't help doing it, but that doesn't make it a smart thing to do. Again, we just don't know what we'll have with Bonzi.

With McGrady, regardless of how healthy he is when the season starts, the history with his back makes it imperative that we make the game easier for him. Adelman himself has said that's high on his list of priorities. Having McGrady play most of his minutes at the 3 does just that, IMO. If he's healthy, the man is a matchup nightmare for the other team. We all know that. It doesn't matter if he plays the 2 or the 3. If more minutes at the 3 spot gives us more games from the guy, and a McGrady in better shape at the end of the season, it's a win-win for the Rocks.

See, NewYorker, we agree sometimes... outside of D&D. ;)

2. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Manu Ginobli was the 6th man because he brings instant offense, which is what a 6th man is suppose to do, and you have already said Battier isn't the greatest scorer. So, Battier being 6th man is not the answer. I have a strong feeling this will be our rotation... (if there isn't any major trades)

1) Rafer Alston
    2) Tracy McGrady
    3) Shane Battier
    4) Luis Scola
    5) Yao Ming

6) Mike James

3. Ashes

Ashes Member

Wait, so every team needs someone taking charges? A charge or two is nice every once in awhile, but Rockets players like Chuck Hayes and Shane Battier try it a little too much. Sometimes I'd rather see them go up there and contest a shot rather than trying to slide in at the last second and plant their feet. If you just want to see people taking charges how about we watch good ole' Varejao falling down ten times a game.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Take last years team...4th in the west.

Subtract JHoward.

Add Mike James, Luis Scola, Aaron Brooks, and Bonzi Wells.

Adding 4 solid players to an already very good team.

Yes, we are most definitely 2nd round bound.

5. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

thats what we said when the playoffs began.

let's just see them do it b4 proclaiming anything.

6. Adelman

Adelman Member

taking the charge is a key part of defense. It makes the opposing penetrators think twice before driving in for a easy layup.

people that take charger and block shots are ESSENTIAL parts of good defense.

your positioning as a defender is what makes you Great vs Good. Taking the char is essential to a good defense because it makes it so much harder for penetrating opponents.

when you are a sf or a undersized pf and you go to contest shots, alot of the time you have fouls called on you. Taking the charge is completely different.
    Yao, deke should do the contesting.

varajao must really suck in your opinion, since he is getting the MLE+ right? also why he is a fan fav right?

good defense is a VARIETY of things put together. not that you would understand anyways...

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

By playoff time, here is my prediction: Starting for the Houston Rockets at PG, Aaron Brooks, at SG, Mike James, at SF, Tracy McGrady, PF, Luis Scola, and at Center, Yao Ming. Scorers all. A bench of Battier, Bonzi, Hayes, Deke, Rafer, etc. Yes, we should make it out of the first round.

I know he is a longshot, but I just got a feeling about the Brooks kid. When he sees the big boys, he won't get scared, he will attack. We'll see. I see something in his eyes. I like it.

8. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

6th man isn't about instant offense but more instant energy. Shane brings that....

With Shane, Wells, Rafer coming off the bench, I think it will give us a much more formidable bench then we had last year. I think head needs to start because he's the only one who can really hit a three for sure.

I see Mike James as a starter over Rafer.

9. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I'd love to see that, but it's definitely a long shot.

10. bluesinsoul

bluesinsoul Member

Moving your defensive expert to bench to play against your opponent's 2nd unit is not a good idea.

11. Ashes

Ashes Member

Not that I would understand? I've been playing basketball for 14 years and have always been noted for good defense. Thank you for your amazing explanation of defense to me, I am completely enlightened now. See, I can be an ass too.

Revisit my post please. Please do. Of course taking charges are a key part of defense. But trying to slide in under a player to get a call isn't smart defense, hell, it's a good way to get both players injured. A charge is when you HAVE position already. People that slide in at the last second and try to play that they had position the whole time aren't playing good defense. Battier gets his charges when he has position, those are the ones he should take. But he also has his fair share of trying to slide in under defenders as opposed to manning up and trying to contest the shot. Naturally that brings up fouling issues, but good defense is learning how to contest rather than foul. Look at Detroit, they do an excellent job of that. I vividly remember Battier trying to slide under Boozer during the playoffs, not only giving Boozer an easy lay-up, but giving up a blocking foul as well, sending Boozer to the line. At least a contested foul would've led to a higher chance of missing the shot.

Now that we've learned to think before we speak, you go back to coaching Adelman, I'm finished.

Oh, and as for Varejao, the man is a KNOWN flopper. Anyone in their right mind can tell you that.

12. YaoFanatic

YaoFanatic Member

In forming the starters and rotation for next year's squad, people seem to be forgetting that Adelman and JVG are very different coaches-- almost diametrically opposed philosophically. Therefore I could see Shane coming off the bench. I don't see Head starting though. Wells will probably get the nod with his previous Sac ties and eagerness to redeem himself. Scola of course will start over Hayes. So right now it will be:
    Yao/Deke
    Scola/Hayes
    TMac/Battier
    Wells/Head
    James/Alston
    This will allow everyone to play their natural positions and optimize the team's offensive firepower without compromising defensive integrity. I could see this rotation topping SA, PHX, and DAL, so definitely at least 2nd round bound!

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You can't put Battier on the bench on this team! That's stupid! He takes some of the defensive load off of McGrady and is tailor made to hit threes off of Yao and McGrady kick outs. Look, I love James and Bonzi (when his mind and waist are reasonable), but those guys would be perfect off the bench. They can come in and add a quick burst of scoring, attitude and energy when the Big Two are off the floor. Bonzi can run those post up plays and James can shoulder starter minutes at the point. Brooks should also have a role. Maybe he can give us something like Speedy Claxton used to do for the Spurs and Bonzi can give the team a bit of toughness like Stackhouse has given the Mavericks. This team is still molded around being compliments to the superstars and Battier does that perfectly.

Suddenly, it sure seems like the Rockets got a whole lot deeper. It's funny how there is no room for Luther Head on this team anymore. Snyder will also take a deep cut in minutes this year if Bonzi is truly back. I would be reluctant to trade Head, or Snyder unless you are really upgrading your roster, or getting some awesome trade exception, or picks. I don't trust McGrady's back, or Bonzi's stomach to ship them off for some scrub like Brian Cook. I think the Rockets should hold back and see how the season develops and see what's shaking at the trade deadline.

As for the original question of the thread. I think the Rockets got better the moment they got James and dropped Howard. Yao being back at full strength and speed would also make them better then they were last year. Adding Scola, Brooks and a rejuvenated Bonzi means we've definitely addressed the three biggest weaknesses on the team- the point, power forward and bench. So....yes, I think they will make it to the second round and probably beyond that. It's not like they are going to forget how to play defense overnight and the new offensive wrinkles can only help them. I am in the optimistic camp!

14. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

we could've been second round bound last year

but we didn't have the right system

Lets see how Rick Adelman does with with this group of players..we have more talent than ever, I think anything less than 2nd round would be a disappointment, unless serious injuries to our star players occur again

15. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Doesn't Bruce Bowen (their battier) start ahead of Manu (their better version of mike james being instant offense)

I think thats sums it up best~ Battier starts

16. Jd1

Jd1 Member

The coach said it. you guys are arguing with him?

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We are a much stronger team with Battier starting.

The guy is one of the best defenders in the entire NBA - we want him out there guarding their best scorer (be it Kobe, Lebron, Carmello) - Battier is a GREAT matchup for us on those guys.

I concur with everyone who suggests that Mike James be used off the bench - that's where he will be lethal, coming on, forcing the pace, being the spark plug. And I'm also hoping that Bonzi can join him!

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Are you crazy? Shane hit 42% of his 3s last season, and he shot a high volume of long range shots. He was nearly as good as Head during the regular season, and, unlike Head, his shooting touch didn't vanish in the playoffs. Oh, and he plays D.

You must be related to Luther Head, or maybe you went to Illinois. Because Head is a 1 dimensional gunner who doesn't bring enough of anything else to merit a starting spot in the NBA. He's best as a spot shooter off the bench.

19. cavevato

cavevato Member

Battier had two off games in the playoffs, the first game and the 6th game(which was our first chance to send Utah home).Luther struggled the first three games(ok he completely stunk)but his percentage was good for the remaining games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3516
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3950

Rafer also stunk it up for a few games
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3282

Thats two of our 5 startars with terrible games.Add an offensively challenged Chuck Hayes(dont get me wrong, I really love Chuck) and our 6th man (Luther)also having bad games its no wonder the Rockets didnt make it to the second round.Poor Yao and Tracy :(

20. Ashes

Ashes Member

Look, I love Battier's defense, but be realistic, he's just an energetic body when guarding players like Kobe, LeBron, and Carmelo. He never shuts them down, not many do, much less can. He doesn't match well with them, considering they are all bigger (Except for Kobe), faster, stronger, and more talented than him.

To put it simply, Battier doesn't star players down, he never has. I love the guy, but he can't stop other star players, he isn't gifted athletically to do so. We need him because he plays hard, hits the open 3, and is a high-energy guy. Could he be replaced or could there be better options? Of course. If Ron Artest magically stopped being a mental-case, he would be THE perfect fit for Houston. Better defender, can play with just as much passion, bigger, stronger, more athletic, and a better scorer. Oh, I can only dream.