1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we second round bound yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NewYorker, Jul 15, 2007.

1. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Now that the power forward problem has been addressed for the most part, and we have brought in Mike James to solidify the point - what needs to happen with this team to get us to the second round?

Personally, I think the point is still to weak. As well as the 2 spot. I know, what about t-mac? I'll explain.

First, regarding t-mac, he needs to move to the three. He's a step slower in my eyes, and his jump shot was never awesome, and it's clearly not there. This might be a result of his play-making duties last season, but I am not convinced. More likely, his hops are not there, his back is not as pliable, and he's having a harder time with his jump shot.

Move him to the three.....

I think Head will regain form playing at the 2. With T-mac and Battier playing the 3 (and Battier playing the 4 potentially at times especially against small teams), with Yao and Luis - our front court is more then solid.

But Head in his 3rd year needs the starting assignment. He's not a play maker, but he's our best long range shooter, and we're thin in that area. Plus, he's our only prospect for filling the 2.

Rafer should be moved to the bench, and hopefully by the end of the season, deep into the bench. He's not getting better, and he's not worth developing. I think Rick Adelman will recognize this.

Still, a Mike James and Luther Head back court is not strong by any strech of the imagination. I think it will be tough now to get more help in the back corut, and Brooks is just an unknown at best. With Rafer and Lucus, an expiring Sura contract, it may not be easy to get a quality 1 or 2.

But one thing is for sure, trading Head away probably won't be a good idea at this stage, but unless we can somehow figure out how to get someone even better.

2. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

you're judging a guy THE FIRST YR off of a major injury. tmac never worked on his game last ofseason. all he did was rest his butt off then ran the treadmill.

let's see how he responds this yr b4 saying he lost a step or lost his J.

although he often shot 44-45%, his perimeter is arguably the best next to kobe.

3. sbyang

sbyang Member

Tmac Battier and Yao are our 3 best guys. Obviously Tmac and Yao need to be on the floor, but so does Battier to defend the other team's best 2/3. You are not going to see Battier on the bench in favor of James/Head.

4. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Shane Battier is a starter on this team. The only way Luther will start at the 2 is if Battier moves to the 4, which I don't see happening. I personally think Luther is going to get a lot less minutes with the addition of Mike James and the return of Bonzi Wells. Though I really like Luther, I see him being the 3rd guy off the bench.

5. NewYorker

I disagree. Shane's glaring weakness is his scoring. And it's clear we're better off with T-mac and the 3 and Head at the 2 versus Shane at the 3 and T-mac at the 2.

With Mike James able to penetrate at the one, it should open up things a bit for T-mac (If James will dish). T-mac has never been a great jumper shooter, but he has been clutch at times. That hasn't been there. Clearly, his best part of his game is taking it to the rim now and his shorter mid-range game.

That means we move him to the 3, let him be a scorer at that position with some playmaking. Bring in head and let him score. The guy is a scorer and he needs the shots and the confidence of being handed the starter reigns now that he's a third year guy.

Shane is a great guy to bring off the bench and bring some energy and draw fouls and such, but he's not good enough to start. Let him be a sixth man, let Bonzi and Rafer be 7th and 8th.

6. NewYorker

JVG isn't the coach anymore.

7. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Now that the Bonzi-JVG conflict is over and Bonzi has won by default, our best players are (in order) Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady, Bonzi Wells, Mike James and Shane Battier. I know my opinion won't be popular but I am looking at the overall offensive ability, defensive ability and athleticism of each and what they bring to the table.

T-Mc is a SF who can play SG. Therefore, since Shane can't play anything but the SF position, he gets the nod. I'd really like to acquire an athletic SG who can shoot lights out. Rudy Fernandez would have fit very well, but fortunately shooting guard is the easiest spot to fill -- still difficult -- but easiest.

The team is best served IMO by starting Yao, Scola, T-Mc, Bonzi and James with Shane as Sixth Man. Adelman can mix and match off those basic six with Deke/Butler, Snyder/Head and Butler/Hayes and Rafer providing relief and mismatches.

8. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

If Bonzi and Mike James play up to their potential and Tmac doesn't continue to age at the speed of light, I would say yes.

9. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Basically I hope you will just go away. Far away! Trashing Mac, why dont you just go be a fan of your stupid (exactly like this thread) Knicks.

10. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

We've already lost JVG and now you want Shane to come off the bench. If this happens, our defense is going to become really bad.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i think yao makes a lot of people shut the f#$k up and remember how good he is. his post injury game created a whole bunch of haters. i think that alone makes the rockets a force.

12. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

I don't think anyone in the West is 100% second round bound. We have the big 3, then Jazz and Rockets, Nuggets with AI and Camelo for a year, the Mavs killer Worriers, the Tanking Grizzlies will come back while Kobe still in the West. I think Jazz, Rockets and Nuggets have a chance of beating the big 3 in a 7 games series.

#12 ccjj, Jul 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  13. Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder Member

Along way off from playoff predictions. The point is this team is much better suited to make a long run. The depth in this offseason has increased 10 fold. Just look at the players. We are going to add Wells (who will be a different human being), James who is still a viable guard in this league and played well the first stint with us, and Scola who gives us a tough inside presence who will block, shots and rebound. Plus you throw in Aaron Brooks into that mix. Your team depth is starting to be among the best in the league from top to bottom of a roster. Adelman just needs to do a better job of meshing it together.

Also it would be nice if he got a consistent rotation, and Brooks was a part of that. I'd like to see them cut Lucas and Rafer loose. Play James and Brooks at the point consistently and get a backup 2 guard.

14. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

15. NewYorker

I'm not convinced Wells will be different. Maybe he will be, but I leave that as a question mark. He took the money as it was his only option - let's see what sort of shape he shows up in.

I'm not ripping on T-mac here, I'm only making observations. Tmac is still a big part, and I'm only suggesting moving him to the 3 where I think he will be more effective both offensively and defensively.

Battier is a great 6th man, but he's not a starter. There's nothing wrong with that. Many Genobli (who is better then Battier) came off the bench and it was very effective.

I'd love to get another 2 guard, I think that's a big key.

And I'm not making any predictions, I'm only saying that do we have enough that we should optimistically think we are legitimately able to get out of the first round.

I think the answer is yes if we start head or if he isn't deemed ready find a 2. Or a one that can hit the three consistently and distribute the ball.

16. Adelman

Adelman Member

you have got to be kidding me. Championships arnt won with 5 players that all score and no true defenders. See SPURS.

Bowen does the same thing as battier, defend and shoot 3's.

You have no idea what ur talking about.

17. Adelman

Adelman Member

ur 6th is supposed to be the spark off the bench when your starters are out. Battier cant score, and is not fit to be a 6th.

See spurs, they put ginobli as a 6th for that exact reason, that spark.

If the rockets went along with your starting 5, DOOM IS NEAR.

18. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

we always are... too bad we can never cross the line...

19. Ashes

Ashes Member

You make valid points. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. Luther is a deadly shooter, and he has the athleticism to be able to drive hard if he works on it. I wouldn't mind seeing how making Shane a 6th Man would work, considering like you mentioned, Manu Ginobli does it for San Antonio.

20. Adelman

Adelman Member

Ginobli is NOTHING like battier stop dreaming.

Battier is a defender, takes the charge, shoots the 3.
    ginobli, drives, dishes, shoots, and is not a defensive player like battier.

where do you get this ginobli = battier stuff from?

if battier is on the bench who takes the charges? YAO? TMAC? LMFAO

Have you ever watched the Houston Rockets PLAY?