1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we just going to ignore the play of Garrison Mathews?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by {icebox425}, Nov 17, 2021.

1. {icebox425}

{icebox425} Member

Can't believe the ignorance went on as long as it did.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Great game from him!!!

This guy's going to be an excellent 6th man for us for years. One of those 6th men who might as well be a starter, but unfortunately we will need a defense-first guy starting at the 3 like Tate to guard the best wings in the league because our SG is our future star scorer first and foremost. Excellent rotation though with Green, Tate, Matthews, JC. All of them willing to play defense, and Matthews is not a bad defender himself. Can see him and Tate covering all the backup 4 minutes too, so there's no shortage of minutes.

verysimplejason likes this.
  3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I still can’t believe we have Garry Bird locked up until 2025 at 2 mil per.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Tate and Matthews are really good glue guys on your team and are best suited to come off the bench for a contending team. Tate is just too short to be a starting PF and not good enough shooter to be a starting SF on a contender. Glad we have both of them.

raining threes and DaDakota like this.
  5. verysimplejason

I just hope no other teams is paying attention to him much so that Rockets can retain him. He's definitely making a case where he's playing better than his current contract.

Mathloom likes this.
  6. MystikArkitect

Not a huge fan of those heat check 3s he shoots but when Garry is on the Rockets win.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Oh I don't believe this at all. PJ Tucker was the exact same at shooting in his 2nd season when he was already older. Tate looks like he will be a fine shooter in 2 years when we will need him to be. There's no rule that one particular position has to be good at shooting in the NBA anymore, it's just your overall spacing.

You just need your guy to hit near 40% of his open catch and shoot corner 3's. Tate is hitting 30% overall, so he is very close to this already.

Also if you can't shoot then the only way to play in the NBA is to keep setting picks. No exceptions to that rule, even if you're a DPOY calibre defender or can put up triple doubles every night.

Also, Tate will not be a PF I don't know why this keeps coming up. He's a SF, can play some SG and PF in short stretches. Equally important as all this, everyone is going to look better when the 19 year olds develop. Right now Tate is taking shots he will not take when we get into playoff contention again.

#647 Mathloom, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    No Worries and AlperenSengun like this.
  8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I agree, remember his role is just to shoot. After some misfire he gets pulled he is a decent defender, but with no shot blockers behind him it’s not fair.

9. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

ya'll are welcome. Friend and I recently went to a Rockets game and talked trash openly to Mathews regarding his lack of shooting, instead opting to keep driving and create nothing. He got pretty mad but after that started being more aggressive with his shot. Get it dawg!

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think he’s the exact type of role player you want in your rotation. He can guard multiple positions, he’s 6’5” so not undersized for a guard, and yes he can be streaky but his over all shooting efficiency from long range is solid. Most of all he’s an “effort player” who can really 3&D. I’m excited we have him locked up for 4 yrs; not every guy on your roster has to be a superstar but there will be nights (like the other night) when Matthews will be your savior. I see him as part of our core, not untradeable, but just like Tate, Matthews should be in our longer term plans.

Corrosion, DJ and Hank McDowell like this.