1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we just going to ignore the play of Garrison Mathews?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by {icebox425}, Nov 17, 2021.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I love his quick release and swagger.

hongxingli, NewAge and D-rock like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Who's the future at the 5 ? Wood or Sengun ?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nice tangent, but I'll play along.

We hope Sengun.

But Sengun doesn't need to be paid for another 3 years.

And he is struggling to stay on court due to Silas trust and/or foul issues.

I'd rather keep both and get a coach who understands and can implement true positionless basketball.

You're stuck on the money (which you've admitted) while I'm stuck on the wins.

Wood is the Rockets best player right now, and its not even close.

harold bingo, NewAge and hakeem94 like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

FYI, Hawks drafted forward Jalen Johnson last draft and he exploded in SL and preseason.

Should they trade John Collins now?

Between the 2, who is the future at PF???

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clearly, Sengun is going to be a god damn monster of an NBA player.

Sell high on Christian Wood...

6. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Incorrect opinions. Billups was better on defense than both of them, and delivered in the playoffs year after year.
    While the '04 Pistons weren't the typical title winning team, Billups was the best player on a title winning team. Advanced stats have him as a top 5 player though the mid-2000s, peaking as the second best player on earth in 2005-2006.

Billups was Chris Paul before there was Chris Paul, who was an improvement on Billups in nearly every way.

NewAge likes this.
  7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

no hop, slow, unathletic... just to name a few more

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , I'm a numbers guy. I see numbers in my sleep ..... I also want to WIN but not only win , but do so at the highest level - Championships.

I'm not really "stuck on money" , what I'm stuck on is .... in Morey terms financial flexibility & Allocation of assets also comes into play.

This is a league where finances matter , especially at the top. Just look at how Morey had to pull rabbits out of his hat year after year to duck the tax and field competitive teams - Until he couldn't anymore because he'd run out of future to mortgage .... I'm afraid of another Westbrook / Wall type contract that cripples the franchises and that forced us to hit the reset button while we had arguably the best player on the planet on our roster..

I completely agree - Right now Wood is the teams best player , maybe KPJ is in the conversation ....

I don't agree that he is a max player.

What we have to consider is the timeline of Sengun - when do we see him taking over the starters spot ? Once that happens Wood's days are numbered here knowing you can't play them together.

I really don't know what kind of return you might expect for Wood .... one mediocre pick doesn't really intrigue me but several picks over multiple seasons (see Harden trade) has huge potential.

What I'm really trying to picture is where we are in two years and I don't really care about wins in the short term ..... The goal is Larry O'Brien trophies.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Collins is the future at the 4 .... and they can probably play Johnson at the 3 spot.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Over Heurter, Hunter or Reddish????

Jalen johnson is a natural 4 anyway.

But Hawks also loaded at 4 spot:

JC, Gallinari, Okungwu, Hill

Maybe Rockets should be looking to acquire him instead.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I am sorry its Sengun and its not even close... wood playing 15 minutes a night in 4 minutes spurts would be trash...

you couldnt recognise him....RHYTHM(and opportunity) IS EVERYTHING...and vice versa playing 30 minutes a night sengun would have won roy and put historically precedent numbers
    however your idea to keep them both with a positionless basketball coach is genius!

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sengun would foul out if he played Wood's minutes.

But I'm all for playing him until he does.

He would learn better IMO.

13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I hope this isn't construed as me not liking Sengun, because I do, and I think he has an incredibly bright future, but to call him the best player on the team right now is overstating things. He shows flashes on a nightly basis, but he has a looong way to go. At this point EG and Wood are our horses. I think we could rely on Tate more to get buckets, but I am biased, I love Tate.

14. NewAge

NewAge Member

agree. Sengun has absolutely spectacular plays, but I don’t get the feeling that the team is pulling forward when he’s on the floor. Still not that “I got that" feeling that you get with the top dogs that can carry a team on their back.

D-rock likes this.
  15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You lost me at EG.

16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Why? EG is having a great year. His FG% is up, he’s shooting .434 from three, and his TS% is like .6.

harold bingo, jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Everytime I see him it's a dumb sporadic 3 or turnover bounce pass. He will giveth but he will taketh.

hakeem94 and DaDakota like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Playing him at PG due to no reliable backup PG on roster.

EGo normally does not facilitate this much.

Nor should he.

Would use Sengun more in this role but for whatever reasons, Silas is very hesitant to do so.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol its because either house or ego or some other players dont want to give him the ball and start doing stupid **** like a clockwork....we look godly whenever we dont refuse to run things tru him and it looks effortless....

also would like to see steph curry durant or wood or whoever playing in 3 minutes spurts 15 minutes a night... yeah you wouldnt even recognize them were it not for the name on the shirt

RHYTHM IS EVERYTHING

LOL the best of sengun is not his spectacular plays but everything.... all the little things he does.... almost every freaking thing he does right
    [​IMG]

raining threes and NewAge like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You can take tons of betrayal, 94.

raining threes likes this.