1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we just going to ignore the play of Garrison Mathews?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by {icebox425}, Nov 17, 2021.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Completely different players.
    Herro is balling this year. If KPJ or Green become the player he is that’s a win

2. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

I believe Jalen Green should come off the bench. Maybe him and Apli can form a tandem. I think a lot of his struggles have to do with playing with other ball dominant players.

D-rock, Ghost5Horse6 and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I think those two should play together as much as possible.
    Jokic/Murray type duo

D-rock likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Saying Green should come off the bench is hysterical.. this year is about developing young players. It’s not about winning. That reality has already gone away with the 15 game losing streak.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Most people suggesting Green coming off the bench are also about developing him. Player development does not necessitate starting, especially if the starting lineup is not the most ideal for his development.

Personally, I don't advocating Green coming off the bench. But there is some merit to the idea. It's not a "hysterical" proposal like you say.

Zen Tabak, xaos, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  6. tmacfor35

You aren’t going to develop playing less minutes and ruining a kids confidence but I’m open to having my mind changed.

7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kobe came off the bench… for two years.

8. Ghost5Horse6

Ghost5Horse6 Member

With hustle and defense as well.

D-rock likes this.
  9. tmacfor35

Kobe’s work ethic is unmatched. That’s a ridiculous comparison.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am almost certain that very few people thought Kobe would turn out to be "like Kobe" during his rookie season.

To say that Jalen Green has NO CHANCE to achieve what Kobe did is as ludicrous as to say that he WILL BE the next Kobe. These people seem to think either 0% or 100%, when reality is nowhere near that certainty.

Zen Tabak, xaos and D-rock like this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U can get mins as sixth man, it all depends on how silas staggers the mins. The thought that green cant developing coming off the bench is funny considering how many rookies before him was about to do it.

tycoonchip, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. j@amc

j@amc Member

How can it help Green's confidence to give him a role that may be slightly bigger than what he can adequately fill right now?

The returns are in. Green is a flat liability on D against starting SGs. His turnover rate and shooting percentage are also off the mark. I'd rather Green come into the game and be successful with productive minutes. Won't that lead to greater growth down the road than playing a larger volume of mediocre minutes?

As maddening as it is, having Sengun come in and play 18 great minutes has helped his play. He's improving and his stamina for the whole season looks like it will hold up.

Interestingly enough, once KPJ got to sit on the bench and mend from an injury, he's been able to return to the rotation with a lot more focus. But I think physically his body can handle to the toll of playing day in and day out.

I wish there was an easy way to fast forward, but this physical/emotional/mental growth process is going to take patience.

theDude, xaos, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  13. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A work ethic that may have been inspired by coming off the bench. And it wasn't really a comparison. I was just saying that coming off the bench doesn't automatically equate to poor development or ruined confidence. I would argue that seeing his team reel off three straight during his absence is more likely to cause those things. Watching the game unfold, talking things out with teammates and figuring out where you will fit in once you enter the game could be very useful. "Sink or Swim" doesn't work with everyone.

14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

There is nothing wrong with being a 6th man while focusing on conditioning. 2nd hamstring injury in a 2-3 months time frame should be a red flag that he needs to beef up before we throw him out there. If he tears that hamstring or gets something that becomes a reoccurring injury, that'll stunt his growth even more. A strain is one thing. If he tears something, are looking at hell and truly a wasted 2nd pick.

D-rock likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Coming off the bench does not equal fewer minutes.

EGo came off the bench for Rockets but his minutes were equal to starters minutes.

Same with Iggy and GSW.

theDude and tycoonchip like this.
  16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

It's almost as if some of these people forgot what it was like dealing with Yao Ming's nagging injuries. Yes China worked him to the ground but playing 82 games and JVG's practices couldn't have been easy either. I want longevity with our investments.

D-rock likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

The Green only fans don't want to hear that.

Their agenda is both blind and tone deaf.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'd try him with 2nd unit first.

alethios and vlaurelio like this.
  19. xaos

xaos Member

@Easy just wanted to give you props on your style of debating

Easy, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Thunder Dan was a 3× All Star and 2× All Defense.

Heady praise.