1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are We Just Going to Ignore the Monster Improvement of the Greek Freak

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jbasket, Nov 23, 2014.

?

Career High Fir Giannis

1. MVP

6.7%
  2. Superstar

11.7%
  3. All-Star

36.7%
  4. Star

13.3%
  5. "Super Batum"

18.3%
  6. "Batum"

8.3%
  7. Battier

1.7%
  8. Meh

1.7%
  9. Journeyman

1.7%
  10. Bust

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. what

what Member

who made the trade?

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Carroll Dawson. Morey wasn't the GM.

3. what

what Member

oky, lol.

Chris Wallace was the gm of the grizzlies, but Jordan Adams was clearly a Hollinger pick.

It's also well known that Mike Heisley forced Chris Wallace to draft Hasheem Thabeet.

I think you are reaching with the Carroll Dawson claim.

4. NotChandlerParsons

Umm I think Morey's most famous trade at this point would be trading two bad draft picks and a guy named Lamb for James Harden.

5. what

what Member

Yeah, you are right. That's probably the best trade. But the Gay-Battier trade was more shocking, because of the circumstances.

Morey was making the trade with the king of the draft- jerry west, and getting back a player, who at the time, seemed more like a good role player.

I think that trade shocked the world. Also, jerry west, it was well-known that he didn't appreciate Shane Battier's skills, so if there was any ushering in of a new era of basketball, from the jerry west(old guard) to Morey (the new guard), it was this trade. Batttier for Gay.

It's a very important trade for the legitimacy of analytics. The james Harden trade was more of an old guard trade.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It wasn't Rudy Gay for Battier. It was the pick for Battier.

And Rudy Gay is terrible so who cares

7. what

what Member

It was an important trade. People will look back at that deal as a pivotal moment for analytics. IMO, this could be a subject for a 30 for 30, in my opinion.

We really don't know everything that went on behind the scenes but I am sure that more than a few gms were laughing at Daryl Morey for this deal.

8. Mr. Clutch

Yeah and Battier became an important player for playoff teams (including the Heat) while Gay gets passed around to the dumbest bidder

9. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

If Giannis hits his potential, he could be a top 5 player in the NBA.

The Seattle Bucks are shaping up to have a very bright future.

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_acquire_Battier_in_tra-184447-822.html

Morey influenced, but really, it is still the head GM's final call. Come on.

Since this thread was about Giannis...

Giannis is shooting over 50% this year, with a nice 57% TS. Gay had a 55% TS as a career high. It is really refreshing to see that he is developing a "drive first" mentality, and not a mid-range chucker like Gay. In addition, he is already looking like a better defender than Gay. Giannis is 19. Gay is on the wrong side of 28.

I see what you did there :grin:

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

Sorry for not adding a poll. That was my bad.

I tried to organize from top-bottom. Really, there are many different classifications of how good a player is, even for role players (hence "super batum", "batum", battier). Super Batum is better than Batum (duh), Batum is a starting two-way SF on a championship team (with some ball-handling), while Battier is missing the handles, but is still a great role player.

Also, I consider Giannis a two-way player; hence, there is not a no-defense option.

Edit: Journeyman, aka "meh" bench player, for clarification. "Meh" is like, say, Delfino. Solid bench role-player/fringe starter.

#51 jbasket, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  12. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Can you imagine if we somehow got him in the 2013 draft? The guy would be huge for us.

The lineup would be Beverley-Harden-Giannis-Jones-Dwight. That's a really sexy starting 5.

13. Mr. Clutch

Imagine also if we got Bosh

14. what

what Member

A guy that announced his retirement in 2007 made a major decision that affected the entire structure of the houston rockets for years to come.

I don't buy it.

Wasn't Carroll Dawson just like a figure head by that time? You ain't going to convince me that a soon to be gm and a coach was going to defer to a guy that was announcing his retirement a year later.

Carroll Dawson had no say in this deal whatsoever.

15. Mr. Clutch

I think you're right generally, but some said that Morey would have gotten a better deal, even though the overall idea was Morey's

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I still have no idea how 14 teams passed on him in one of the weakest drafts of all time. There were no sure things in the entire draft and barely any players with even all-star potential. This is why bad teams stay bad.

There were plenty of us who saw his potential

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=235689

17. what

what Member

I actually am trying to give credit to Daryl Morey for laying the gantlet down. With the battier deal, and with so much on the line, he made a deal which I doubt many other gms would have the balls to make.

And to a certain degree, he won that deal. Think about it: battier was this no athletic kind of albatross: everybody knew he made winning plays, but nobody really was willing to put a value on that kind of basketball player till daryl morey came along.

Daryl Morey put his money were his mouth was in that deal and he did it against the best evaluator of talent of our time: jerry west.

To me this deal will go down as a historic deal.

18. Mr. Clutch

You could be right

19. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Don't want to. It hurts when I do

20. Mr. Clutch

Then imagine if we drafted Kawhi