1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we hurting the game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Feb 26, 2018.

?

What do you think about the Rockets style of play?

1. I don't care how we play as long as we win.

48 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. I would like to see us limit the ref baiting a little.

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. I hate watching games played at the free throw line.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm worried about our reliance on the refs hurting us come playoff time.

22 vote(s)
    29.7%
  1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Do you think anyone would care what style of play we have if we were the 9th seed?

They are only beatching bc we stacked and we rollin and we number 1.

Any complaints is nothing more than losers whining.

The only thing we're hurting is people's feelings.

topfive, D-rock and Deckard like this.
  2. MONON

MONON Member

Our style of play is fine for the regular season. It's going to be interesting to see how we do when drives to the basket results in TO's instead of FT's, because the refs swallow their whistles in the POs.

kjayp and 1Deep like this.
  3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Let's face it. NBA tried to neutralize Harden and the Rockets but we just one upped them.

I think we are the most entertaining team in the league.

topfive, vince, Hakeemtheking and 4 others like this.
  4. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Overly sensitive? Ok, you win.
    Going forward I will be sure to clear any thread I intend to create by you so I can ensure that they are on-topic and indeed relative.
    Once again I apologize.

5. The Greyhound 33

We ARE the game.

Tfor3 and Swiss Roll like this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

idk... I think the 4th option has merit... in the past we have been too reliant on getting fouls called - and its hurt us come playoff time when refs swallow the whistle...
    Personally, i dont like 'playing for the call'... it puts the outcome in the hands of the ref - which is never a good thing...
    I hate flopping - period. I'm thankful we've seen less of it than I expected...
    I believe you should try to score. If someone fouls you - you still try to finish because you might not get the call... but dont go in content to forfeit the possession bc you think the ref will blow the whistle - cause he might not...
    I actually think we are less reliant on calls this season than in the past... previously when James would drive the lane and basically throw up his arms and flail at the first slightest contact was really annoying - and counter productive in the playoffs...

7. And1redux

And1redux Member

Why isn't anybody pointing out the obvious fact that, on average, the Rockets don't even go to the free throw line that much? We are 'only' 2nd in the league in terms of FT attempts per game, and the gap between us and the average team isn't that big. Four more free throws than your normal, regular team. Big, f'kin deal.

The thing that really stands out about this team is how much more 3-pointers we take, not the free throws. We take 13~14 more threes than the league average, so if anything that should be the point of the discussion.

I think people are just being prisoner of the moment because last night against Denver we did get many foul calls. Not every night is like that, and the stats bear that out.

#47 And1redux, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    vince likes this.
  8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

the game's been hurt for awhile so who cares

9. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Warriors moving screens and cheap shots are hard to watch and 100% illegal and they "play da gaem da rite way!!!!"

**** em, Harden still leads the NBA in scoring without free throws. Even in the postseason his FTA go down by a massive ONE per game.

If others are still mad, don't hate the player...

Tfor3, Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  10. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

If someone beats them off of raw talent, then you simply concede that they won the genetic lottery and there was nothing you could do about it. When someone outsmarts you, you think of the mistake that you made that led to your downfall, filling you with regret and distain that someone toyed with you like a puppet. Its like losing a hand of poker because you had bad cards vs getting bluffed and losing to someone with a trash hand.

Soneca likes this.
  11. Soneca

Soneca Member

If by "hurting the game" you mean "hurting the feelings of the bandwagon Warriors fans by beating them in the upcoming playoffs", then my answer would be yes.

D-rock likes this.
  12. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Harden averages 10 FTA's per game in the playoffs. His FTr is a bit lower, but he still gets a lot of fouls regardless.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Free throws ruining the game??

Let's put this in historical perspective:
    • Charlotte is #1 in the league for FTAs/gm at 26.5. HOU is #2. We'd be #1,,,except Dwight plays for CHA
    • Not one year in the '80s was the league AVERAGE fta/GM below than CHA this year
    • For the entirety of the '90s, the league AVERAGE was higher than CHA
    • ...and at a much slower pace.
    • Not one year in the 80s and '90s did a pace adjusted league average fall below CHAs.
    The NBA does not have a FT problem in this era, comparative speaking. The advent of shooting threes started a steady reduction of FTs when the arc was moved in from 95-98.

bottomline: The increasing use of Spacing strategies, dating back to temporarily moving the arc in, actually reduces FTAs, despite the narrative being league rules has made this a p***y era of protecting stars via liberal foul calling. MDAs 7SOL Space and Pace reduced it even more.​

Hippieloser, topfive, bro2044 and 3 others like this.
  15. MystikArkitect

Harden can score whenever he wants. So they have to guard him close. When this happens he can get the foul whenever he wants.

It’s an advantage not necessarily unique to Harden, he’s just the only basketball player with the skill set to take advantage of it. Lou Will, Kevin Martin and Durant are others.

Is there a part of the game of basketball from an offensive perspective that Harden hasn’t mastered?

16. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I'm confused, is this in reference to a different year of Rockets basketball?

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

a true back to the basket game, not sure if its actually necessary though with the way harden scores the ball without it and with all the flopping that goes around these days

18. vince

vince Member

National sports media called, they said yes...

If the same Rockets team was playing for Boston, New York, or Los Angeles, they’d lead every sports show related to the NBA.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*sigh*
    MFers always looking for the Tin lining

Rocket River

20. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just a reminder...
    NBA changed the rules after the Rockets second championship. Our iso style of play was considered boring and a determent to the game.
    I guess everyplace but Houston.