1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we having a bit TOO MUCH talent?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by liu1107, Dec 9, 2005.

1. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

consider we doing pretty good since T-mac's back and everyone's getting pretty fair playing time, and chemistry getting better. so after Sura, alston and JB come back, i think its gonna be a pain in the @ss to divide the play time. :) :p
    alston/sura/wesley/head/anderson/JB they are all pretty decent players... how 6 of them gonna share just 48x2 of minutes of play time. 96/6=16 minutes for each? :D

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Too much talent? No. Instead, we have too many role players not playing up to their billing, and not meeting expectations/fulfilling their roles.

We don't have much talent, just compare our roster with the elite teams in the league (heck, even some of the crappy ones arguably have better talent on paper).

We're still a middle-of-the-pack team despite our horrendous record. We can compete with T-Wolves, Clippers, Grizz, Kings, Sonics, etc. But we're not close yet to the top echelon, which is what we're shooting for (Spurs, Heat, Pistons are the standard I like to use, especially the Spurs/Pistons).

We still got ways to go, but as things stand right now, we're depending on two guys (T-Mac & Yao) to basically do the job of five players, and then the rest are mostly bench players on any elite team.

The only stars that have it worse than ours are Kobe and to a lesser extent KG.

3. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

so that's what our problem is .....

I knew it.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

LOL...too much talent? are there hot chicks at a Dungeons and Dragons convention?

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its' not too much talent. it's too many role players who deserve minutes.

sura probably wont be back. that leaves alston, head, wesley, da at the guards. tmac and either bowen or barry (depending on matchup) at the 3.

that's not a big deal. considering how many injured players we have i would think it's a good idea to keep all that we can because you never know when someone will go down and leave you short handed.

6. run-bdp

run-bdp Member

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

If you have to ask that question then you haven't been to too many.

Arguably one of the hottest chicks I have ever dated took ME to a D&D convention, then just about f***ed me in half in one of the gaming rooms.

8. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

too much talent on THIS team??? no.

other than tmac, we only have one other player who can drive to the hoop and break down the defense with his dribble and create open looks, and he's a rookie that JVG isn't going to give more than 20 min. a game.

upfront i would say we have a lot of talent but they aren't producing like they should. swift is still inconsistent despite his freakish athleticism, howard hasn't been very consistent either. yao has been very good but has turned the ball over a lot and has nights where he just doesn't play like he should.

despite the last couple of wins, the front office needs to make some changes with this roster. get some athleticism and speed in the backcourt and a banger at PF.

9. abrocketsfan

abrocketsfan Contributing Member

hahhahhaahahahahah

are you just being too sarcastic?

we have 3 or 4 players who are B or B- players and when TMac is out we except at least one to be an A player and instead they get an F that day

10. Toast

Toast Member

A team that starts Ryan Bowen has no need to worry about having too much talent.

11. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Having T-Mac back certainly makes it seem like it doesn't it...

And when he's playing defense like he was in the fourth last night, and the rest of his teammates feed off that, he's almost Jordanesque.

12. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

LOL.........yeah we have to much talent on our team and JVG has to much hair on his head...

13. lalala902102001

Yes, we have too much talent...

of suckiness.

14. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

we have way too much talent, we should trade TMAC :confused:

15. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Good one. Wait, your being serious....

16. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

you guys don't understand... when we got T-mac...everybody's out there tap dancing like Sammy Davis Jr.

17. New Jack

New Jack Member

Our depth is pretty good. A bench with Head, Swift, Mutombo, Barry, DA, and Alston (when he returns) is decent. The problem is outside of Yao and Mcgrady, our starters are very weak. Howard, Wesley, and Bowen would be bench players on any other team. Talent-wise, our starting lineup is probably in the bottom 10 in the league.

We have a lot of quality bench players, but really only 2 starting caliber players (Yao/T-mac). So our talent level (at least in the starting lineup) definitely needs to be improved.

18. GrapeJuices

GrapeJuices Contributing Member

Too much talent? Liu I don't mean to be a straight up a$$hole but if you don't want to get flamed and look like an idiot, don't post up stuff that you haven't thought through.

THE ROCKETS TEAM IS BUILT AROUND MCGRADY AND YAO. All offense goes through Mcgrady and Yao period. Everyone's main role is to either stop the enemy in defense or make it easier for All-star player Mcgrady and yao to score. Alston plays in a different position as Mcgrady and Yao. Therefor if he sticks to his roles (breaking the defense, execute good passes, and bring the ball down the court) and if he does it well, it will not take shots away from Mcgrady and Yao; only make it easier for them to make score. The same can be said for other players.

There WILL BE NO DIVIDING OF PLAYTIME! When it comes to Yao and Mcgrady, they get ALL the play time they want provided they aren't tired.

19. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

i feel bad and i apologize :(

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Trust me, this team does not have too much talent. If we did, the record would be far better.