1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we getting closer to a civil war?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by roxstarz, Jul 16, 2021.

1. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

These observations of complacency provide reason to be concerned at the current political environment we are going through. If we do enter into a literal civil war it will be horrific. All it would take would be an event that would totally disrupt food supply for a couple of weeks and our way of life would descend into chaos. Because of this complacency, I think there is a very real possibility that we are closer to a civil war than we might think.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

We do not want hollywood types ruining Texas.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Short answer is no

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

NOPE

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No he cannot easily win again.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I find it funny that TX is always talking about seceding, but the large Democratic cities are the reason the state is even relevant

nobody wants to live in Lubbock and all these small towns in the middle of nowhere

take out Houston, Dallas, and Austin, and TX might as well be Alabama or Kentucky…a flyover state that has absolutely nothing going for it

7. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

He lost by 40k votes… that’s less than Hillary’s narrow defeat in 2016. If its Trump vs Kamala I think you’d have to put Trump as the favorite. Joe ain’t gonna be running in 2024.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He lost by more than he won and he has done nothing to gain any more voters, besides that he will not run unposed in 2024 there will be more choices.

This has nothing to do with Joe its the fact that everybody who voted against Trump will still do so, now if we are talking turnout I think those same people and more will vote against him.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Maybe it's like War of the Worlds where the aggressor dies from a virus their tech should've been able to prevent.

London'sBurning and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Where did you get the 40k votes from?

In Michigan alone it was like a 150,000 vote difference. If you tally up the margins from each swing states in pretty sure it's at least 300,000.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Minorities and marginalized groups would never support it. All of our rights come from federal case law, federal marshals and federal troops on the day of enforcement. Even progressive communities are still owned and run by wealthy white conformists, and middle and working class white families will always align with them at the local level on issues like public safety, property values and schooling, symbolically maintain that bond by populating all the armed enforcement entities such as the police and military, and reinforce shared cultural identity through mainstream Christianity and historical patriotism. We are always a guest in someone else's house; and if you change political sovereignty and take away the one set of legal and contractual paperwork that enumerates racial, religious and sexual minorities' rights the white hostess will cancel all of our work, education and housing RSVPs before brunch. Speaking of the still predominantly white police and military, they are infinitely more armed and better funded, organized and trained at the local, county and state level than they ever were federally during the Civil War or even before the second World War.

#51 Dairy Ashford, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes the total margin in the swing states in 2020 was much greater than in 2016. In AZ and GA Biden only won by about 11,000 votes in each and WI by about 21,000 votes but even if those states had flipped Biden still would've won the electoral college.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. Major

Major Member

Barring health issues, I think Biden will run again in 2024 - though that's obviously a long time away. But if he doesn't, I do think Trump is probably a favorite against Harris. I suspect she would not win a primary though. I think she's a higher end version of Yang in the sense that a lot of people like the idea of her, but when it comes down to actually voting, people don't vote for her. Even her California elections were closer than you'd think they should be given the composition of the state.

For the past 40 years, the single most determinitive thing deciding elections has been authenticity. People like authentic candidates, even if they are crazy or psycho. It seems to be more important than economics, cultural issues, or anything else (see Bush v Gore, and Clinton v Trump). And of all the adjectives you could use to describe Harris, authentic will never be not one of them.

jiggyfly and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm not so sure Trump beats Harris in 2024 if that is the match up. While Harris may not be "authentic" this isn't 2016 and more than enough people know what Trump was like as President. Trump being who is won't make this a referendum on Harris but will make it about himself. He will likely make this about a second Trump presidency than a rejection of a Biden / Harris presidency.

If the economy isn't terrible or that there isn't some sort of other crisis weighing down the Biden Admin. I think if Harris runs in Biden's place I think she still wins. She would have the power of incumbency (being the heir) and that carries a lot of weight. I would put it as one of the reasons why Trump did better in overall vote totals in 2020 than he did in 2016.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Only reason he got more votes than in 2016 is because the Republicans dumped a lot of illegal votes, tore up Democrat votes, had people vote multiple times and paid illegals to cast votes while poll watchers turned a blind eye.

Did I do that right, @dachuda86?

#55 bobrek, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    jiggyfly, superfob, Andre0087 and 3 others like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Aren't those hallmarks of a successful civilisation where people think they have more to lose than to burn it all down?

Too lazy... Too fat... Too rich and greedy...

What's there to be angry enough over to raise the pitchforks?

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

Wisconsin Georgia and Arizona was about 40k I believe.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe but the first thing that can be seen as a gaffe by Harris will result in a Trump induced nickname. Right wing pundits and mainstream media will pick up on it and the label will hurt her with the majority of voters that don't pay much attention

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I have no doubt that will happen and that will happen no matter who runs against Trump, and I'm talking about both parties as I'm pretty sure there will be a few Republicans who will take him on in the primaries.

This isn't about what Trump will or won't do. It's about that Trump isn't running as an outsider but he's also not going to be running as an incumbent. Trump is a known quantity and while he has a large devoted following there is a even larger group of people out there who despise him. If it's Harris this will still likely be more about Trump than it will be about Harris simply because Trump can't let it be any other way.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If we are talking doomsday scenario it is a scenario in which other countries essentially duke it out for control of America by aligning with factions in the US. Are we really that far away from Russia essentially being an arm of the Republican party?

I don't think that's likely to happen though cause I think if the Republicans and 40% of Americans finally just come out and say we are done with Democracy, and we don't care about fair elections, I think they'll get their way. I don't think Democrats will choose violence with their own neighbors and will ultimately act the way that pro Democratic people act in Russia.

The autocratic takeover will be death by 1000 cuts of Democracy. Nobody is going to snap their fingers and just decide it's time to call the Canadians and go to war against the Russian backed Republicans. It'll be a continual erosion of trust of elections, and the courts. Making elections not matter anymore is the obvious gameplan. Only violence I think the right thinks they need in order to project strength is some beatdowns of BLM protestors. As long as they can sell those protestors as violent themselves, they got the propaganda narrative they want.

I don't think we'll go to war with each other at all. As long as Republicans continue to be hellbent on setting up an autocratic evangelist police state, the rest of us can fight it, but it'll ultimately be a losing battle, and one not worth everyone you know maybe dying over. The choice is really up to the Republican voters & propaganda consumers here in the US. If they decide they want to be like Russia there's little we can do to stop them from taking a wrecking ball to our country, but that doesn't mean we should give up the fight to try and break down the lies, and bring mom, dad, and your piss ant cousin back to earth where Democracy actually isn't so bad. It's worth the effort to at least try.

Phillyrocket and VooDooPope like this.