1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we buyers at trade deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Landry's Tooth, Oct 3, 2023.

1. Landry's Tooth

If we're looking good to take the division, do we make a move and give up picks to accelerate rebuild?

I would love to get Tee Higgins opposite Nico. Would only do it if extension worked out ahead of time and not a Tunsil situation...

Hard to imagine teams are equipped to handle 2 WRs of their frames... maybe worth a #3 if the extension isn't unreasonable.

Would also like another d-line run stopper or edge rusher...

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I’d keep an eye on anyone from the Commanders Dline. Whether DE or DT. They’re loaded and can’t pay everyone.

vjohnson, hlmbasketball and Boii like this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm not interested in acquiring anyone who doesn't play on the line of scrimmage.

Even then, no reason to rush things. A division title is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

4. Landry's Tooth

I would normally agree, but it's an opportunity for a young team to get playoff experience even if it's 1 and done.

I think if the pick is minimal (not a 1 or 2) and it's not a rental while also being a younger player, it's worth considering...

One less hole to fill in the offseason.

red5rocket likes this.
  5. Landry's Tooth

Chase Young opposite Will Anderson could be interesting but he's hard to evaluate. What is his market value with so much missed time?

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I came here to say this. I would buy Chase Young to discount every day of the year.

Him and Will Anderson with Greenard also, could take us to the next level.

hlmbasketball, Boii and eliefor3 like this.
  7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I don't value regular season experience differently vs playoff experience, especially in a non-series format like the NFL.

If you can win a trade, get it done, but there is absolutely no need to get out over our skis and start going Billy O Brien on the credit card because we're 2-2 and our division sucks.

Nook, sydmill, raining threes and 2 others like this.
  8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Agreed. The piece needs to be foundational and long-term - which is unlikely to be available. You don't - or shouldn't - rent players in the NFL. And while anything can happen, you certainly don't rent players on a team that is likely light years away from KC, Buffalo, Baltimore, possibly Miami.

9. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I support most of the comments above.

If we do trade, I definitely think IOL (Owenu from NEP?) or Edge (Chase? Browning from DEN? Ossai from CIN?).

When I think IDL, I think mostly FA or PS players like Trysten Hill or Timmy Horne.

I would not give up capital for a WR seeing what our offense is doing right now.

Edit: Owenu would require a new deal and I think he may be a UFA target. Would likely mean our FRP Green is gone tho.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Buyers for sure if we keep winning. Who would be available at the trade deadline is anyone's guess - I would love a pro bowl level DL.

11. conquistador#11

Any 1 of the following:
    A LG, backup CB, a back up DT for now, and if a team wants to gift us a star LB, I'll take one . Check the CB apparently Tavierre coming back to practice.

All position groups are playing very well. Stay healthy.

12. Landry's Tooth

I'm not suggesting giving up a 1 or 2 at all. Also, wouldn't do it for a player that won't possibly be here 5 years from now.

If Laremy cost a 3rd and a new contract, you would do it right now if we had a need.

I wouldn't give up what we did for him.

If it's a guy you want to sign in the offseason and can get him early and not be at the mercy of a market, then fine... if it's a day 2 or 3 pick..

They could sign Higgins and save a pick. What if he signs with the Titans instead?

That's what you're paying to avoid in addition to the help this year.

13. Landry's Tooth

Yeah, I look at what Roquan did for Baltimore... if there's a similar game changer out there I would be interested... not for a 1 or 2 though...

14. Landry's Tooth

My thinking is Woods isn't here long term and two 6'4" above average receivers is a lot for a secondary to handle.

I think it helps ensure teams can't game plan Nico to take him out... not sure if Woods or Tank are enough to do that.

I like Tank, but we do have to factor in injury risk at his size.

Think also about red zone having 2 big targets on opposite sides...

jch1911 likes this.
  15. Landry's Tooth

I will say exception is if it's a 5th or later and you're filling an immediate need due to injury or something else that could hinder development.

If Tunsil goes out for the season, trading for Duane Brown for a 6th isn't awful...

Just an example...

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Then you aren't trading at all, because the odds of any player making it 5 years on a team are very low.

Yeah of course you would, because that's a ridiculous trade nobody would offer.

You're living in la-la land. We're not pushing our chips in the middle of the table half a year into a rebuild, and neither is anybody offering us an all-pro player for peanuts.

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

B/R Trade Block Board

8. Chase Young, Edge, Washington Commanders

1. Pass-rusher Chase Young will become a sensible trade chip for the Washington Commanders if (when?) they fall out of the playoff race.

Young, who has recorded 2.5 sacks and sevenquarterback pressures in three games, should bring a quality return. He's also not guaranteed to return in 2024, as Washington declined the fifth-year option on his rookie contract, setting him up for free agency.

Washington still looks like it can make noise in the playoff race. The Commanders are 2-2 and gave the Philadelphia Eagles a real scare in Sunday's overtime loss. Upcoming games against the Chicago Bears, Atlanta Falcons and New York Giants will give them a chance to stack more wins.

In other words: Don't expect Washington to actively shop Young in the next week or two. If he does become available, though, the Detroit Lions should be interested.

Detroit's defense has played well over the past two weeks. However, it's still without standout pass-rusher James Houston, who is on injured reserve with a fractured ankle.

The Houston Texans could also be interested in Young after rattling off back-to-back convincing wins. However, getting to the opposing quarterback has been an issue for the Texans, who have only seven sacks through four games.

Potential Landing Spots: Detroit Lions, Houston Texans

Plowman and everyday eddie like this.
  18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

3. Danielle Hunter, Edge, Minnesota Vikings

1. The Minnesota Vikings finally got in the win column in Week 4, but at 1-3, they still have work to do to reach the 2023 postseason.

If the Vikings fall further out of the playoff race before Oct. 31, they should be open to moving standout pass-rusher Danielle Hunter. They considered trading him early in the offseason, according to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, before they worked out a revised one-year deal with him.

It could be difficult for the Vikings to retain Hunter beyond this season, as his new deal prohibits them from using the franchise tag on him in 2024, per ESPN.

Hunter, who already has five sacks and seven quarterback pressures this season, would net Minnesota value in a trade. Virtually any team in need of pass-rushing help should have some level of interest.

The Texans could look to add Hunter to help spark a surprise playoff run. The 2-2 Jacksonville Jaguars may also want to consider boosting their pass rush before the deadline.

While the Jaguars started to find their groove in Week 4, they did not look like legitimate contenders over the first three weeks and have struggled to pressure opposing passers. Jacksonville ranks in the bottom 10 leaguewide in both sacks (nine) and quarterback hits (21).

Potential Landing Spots: Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars

Plowman likes this.
  19. Landry's Tooth

I wasn't suggesting all pro. Tunsil wasn't months from free agencynon a team out of the playoff race.

The cost would be less.

I think if you're signing a 26 or 27 year old to a 4 or 5 year extension the odds are good they are still here in 5...

Don't get hung up on a name I pull out of thin air and act like I was being literal.

20. Landry's Tooth

Just so we clear what you're saying...

A 3rd round pick is "our chips", implying no others...

You think Tee Higgins is a top 2 WR in the NFL...

Right?