1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we assuming the old Motiejunas will be back next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, not really, Jones is not only a mediocre rebounder but he's also just an awful defender AND he doesn't ever bother boxing anyone out.

I'll take a high energy player that boxes out and doesn't come down with many rebounds over that any day of the week.

2. basketballholic

Gotta get another big time rebounding/defending big so the D and rebounding are no longer an issue.

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I agree Jones is really bad this year, but he has rebounded better than Harrell. I know the sample size is small for Harrell. I'm just disappointed, b/c I didn't think that would be a problem for him.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah the sample is really small for Harrell and he's a rookie, but I like the energy he brings and I like the fact that as JBB said, even if Harrell doesn't get the rebound, his guy sure as hell isn't going to get it. On a team that has effort problems from time to time, a guy like that helps out a lot.

5. oakdogg

Yes, you are right. You have called that from the beginning, and I give you credit for that. I also concede to you on that Jones' value discussion we had the other day. I looked up his RPM for this year thus far, and he was actually like the third worst PF in the league. I didn't realize he had slipped that bad. And then, the same day, he gets benched. So, I believe you are right that he doesn't have much value at all. Thanks. I have always preferred DMo and Josh Smith in my defense, I must say though.

6. oakdogg

That is good for sure. It's also cool that he's been working on his 3 point shot in the D League. It would definitely be great if he works out.

7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

DMo is in the Rockets' long-term plans. It's obvious. Capella should be, but I'm not nearly as high on him. You know who would be great for rebounding/defense? Nerlens Noel... love his upside. Can we bring back Hakeem, too? Just a thought.

One game at a time.

I wish it were Thursday already. I hate playing a team back to back, especially when it's the Jazz.

1 person likes this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

One thing Dmo has that makes me trust him as a player is work ethic. He is always working on his game. Not posing in Instagram pics like Jones. Half of Dmo's pics are him with a sweat drenched shirt on the practice court.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

To be fair, T Jones is a big sweater. Lol

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's funny how everyone has their favorites, and DMo foremost among them.

Ideally, I'd like to keep both DMo and Capela. Will DMo return to form (and then some)? Capela has shown great improvement.

Or is there some power forward upgrade that may cost us one or the other?

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

For now....Dmo has issues leveraging himself against players..too much strain on his back. I dont know if that can be corrected, although he does have room for improvement, but it could just be due to his dimensions working against other bodies. Im afraid this means this is going to be a chronic issue for him...Rockets really need to pinpoint this before giving him a deal. His offensive talent is unique, that won't mean much, if he's hurting.

12. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Looks like Something brewing for a late Christmas present, an exchange of tall timber with Rox & 76ers...definitely have a thing going on.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Please do not assume anything until you see it on the court performing!!

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

People do give 7fters or guys above 6 foot 10 too much credit.

Guys like Millsap are balling their hearts out and are worth every dime.

There are good undersized players.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure it can happen, but when it comes to NBA big men, size really does matter. There are exceptions, but let's not forget that they really are exceptions and that they are rare. If Chuck Hayes was 7 foot tall, first of all he'd probably still be in the NBA, and secondly he'd have been a household name that would have made many times as much money as he did.

When it comes to Millsap, he's doing damn good for a 6'8 PF, but you're fooling yourself if you think that he wouldn't be a MUCH more dominant player if he were a bit taller.

At the same time, make Dirk 6'8 and what happens?

Make Shaq 6'8, does he even make it to the NBA?

If you have a talented 7 footer, you have NBA gold on your hands.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There are tons of 7ft stiffs or 7ft softies, are they an exception to the rule?

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ok, again nobody wants to discredit a talented player. Yes.

But Dmo has shown he is inconsistent, commits too many fouls and should be given more time.

He hasn't proven to be the Euro bruiser, he is skilled like many Euros, but I think the most important thing does he have an ego and the mental makeup to do what it takes?

He has proven to be cocky on Twitter but on the court he has been bullied by NBA players before.

I think if Harden and Howard did work out better, Dmo's job would be secure.

But now blowing up half of the roster awaits, nothing against Dmo but it is really time to start from scratch.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, not really, most of them wouldn't even be in the NBA if they weren't 7 foot tall. That said, give them a bit of talent, and they are quickly one of the best in the NBA.

Hassan Whiteside was so terrible he couldn't get minutes on the RGV Vipers just a few years ago and now look at him. He learned how to play the game of basketball just a little bit and now he's doing all kinds of crazy things. If he wasn't as tall as he is, he'd have never been in the league at all.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to DMo, I don't really think he's been all that inconsistent, in fact, he was a huge part of why the Rockets did so well last season. I see that some have forgotten about that already, but in time I think you'll remember.

As to blowing up the roster, I think about all that happens is Jones and Brewer get moved.

20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Well, we do love dealing with the 6ers when we need close to 7ers. Just gotta be patient. ;)

Too bad Royce was such a dud. Sam Stinkie owes us for a few things.