1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we assuming the old Motiejunas will be back next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jun 3, 2015.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

1) Dwight is no longer in his "prime". Prime Dwight brought a team that had no good defender all the way to the Finals (or is it ECF? I forgot). Dwight is still really, really good, but as we saw vs GSW he's no longer "Prime" Dwight so the Rox shouldn't mortgage everything to maximize his window.

2) PFs along with SFs are the most common players in the league, in fact on our team we have Capela/DMo/Brewer/Kpap/Ariza all these guys can play PF in some sort of capacity. It's also unlikely that the Rox will somehow lose TJones in a trade and then suddenly find out that Smith is going to another team and that Brewer isn't kept and DMo is still injured. So many things have to happen for the Rox to lose out one of their PFs.

3) Dwight got injured and started breaking down after 9+ years of heavy contact in the NBA. DMO is only 24 years old and his game isn't based on athleticism. I have every confidence he'll be back to 100% after a couple of months of the NBA season.

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

1) 2009 NBA finals... Unfortunately didn't do a lot at that stage and it was in Leastern Conference... Still it was finals appearance though with him as the main guy is pretty good.

2) covered good, but on 3) while I think DMo will recover I'm just concerned because it's like the injury kind of surfaced from nowhere... Definitely can be scary if hereditary or something. But I think with his game he'll be fine and after few months be back to his awesome hook shot game. I like him on the floor with Howard because the defenders have to respect either Howard or DMo, and since DMo has actual range if players move to cover or help it leaves Howard open and not having to use post moves.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Meant through Eastern Conference* ,but still not bad with who he had around him.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

This...i hate this :p

Dwight's advantage is in that his muscle fiber distribution is different than Dmo's...geared toward more explosive movements. That doesn't mean the other aspects of athleticism are automatically superior in Dwight. In fact, DMo is more athletic in other ways. He's got better flexibility, balance, and likely better coordination. So, that being said, all of those things can regress, if his rehab doesn't go well.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Even if DMo does come back 100% healthy, you still want to get better at that position.

What are the options?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

DMo coming back 100% completely solidifies the starting spot, if Smith comes back, the bench spot is solid. I don't think we should be worried about the 3rd string PF spot.

7. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

This is a good concern to raise, but there are some differences with DMO. Yes he had the same procedure as Dwight, but Dwight had the procedure done in the summer, and he was nursing other injuries. DMO also is an extremely hard worker, so seeing that he is going to give 200% to the rehab process, I honk he will be good as new come November

8. brooksstephens

Nope... he dead.

9. craguin

craguin Member

Well, now I see where Dwight was quoted as saying his condition was worse...

4/9/2015

10. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

People have said it takes about 2 yrs after back surgery to become normal again.

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

If Smith doesn't come back they need a veteran PF for sure, DMO has 5 minutes of NBA playoff experience and no one knows how he'll fair when the physicality, speed and aggression gets ramped up 5 fold. I love his offensive game but the team needs to add a veteran who can knock down the mid range jump shot and make his free throws to help the cause.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Disagree.

Smith and TJones are WAY to inconsistent, even for backups. I don't need A+ games from them all the time ... But need to know what to expect consistently. Have no clue with them (or Brewer for that matter).

DMo last season was still in the bottom half of the league as a starting PF. and that's giving him credit for being a pretty solid defender.

So that's if he's healthy.

13. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

He doesn't really rely on overall body strength when he posts up. Old Dwight was sound in using his size for balance when he posts up. But since his surgery, I remember reading an article where the Rockets trainer said his body was completely unbalanced after the injury. You can tell he has NO balance or control when he posts up on a consistent basis.

Dmo used his footwork mainly when he posts up which shouldn't suffer.

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

He needs to get his lower body much much stronger and hopefully he can this offseason back permitting.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Balance and coordination doesnt get lost with injuries, you habe people on one leg moving with balance and coordination. Unless this procedure results in him walking with a limp his whole life I dont see how he suddenly loses all the coordination flexibility and balance he's had his whole life. C'mon now he just having surgery not cutting off his leg.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he will be fine and probably better. Dmo is young, and it looks like he is really working hard with the rehab which includes things that should prevent re-injury.

17. OpenLayup-Why3?

Wasn't the surgery just in case? In case that nerve didn't go back to normal itself. Longish rehab does make it look serious though. On the other hand DMO is already working out every day while others are resting, he also mentioned to be working on free throws a lot this summer. I am pretty sure DMO will return even better than he left. 80% FT shooter is doable, it's all in his head.

18. elainas

elainas Member

DMo with one leg last his month shot +.450 from 3s. Nevertheless in winter (assume back wasnt as bad) he play a lot and great especially rebound(by this standarts). Hes work hard, he will be prepare for first train camp day

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

This isn't just any injury or any surgery.

There's a reason why he still can't pick up a basketball and just started swimming yesterday. He could do either of those with an ankle sprain.

He's not going to lose it all, but it could take time to regain, especially if he has a mental block and loses confidence. If there is a setback, then he could have trouble with it too. Not likely..but it's still not as much of a sure thing as rehabbing a mild ankle sprain over the summer.