1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we a contender?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Feb 2, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is the first game of Christian Wood in single digits scoring.

D-rock likes this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

Nope. We have a bunch of near all stars or just barely all stars, yes, but that's not enough. It's a playoff team, but little more. Wood is like Shawn Marion. Awkward shots that tend to go in, but he isn't establishing dominance. And really, only Wall is capable of that. Nobody on the team is an alpha player and we need that. plus we have an achilles heel in Tucker. So we will make a little noise, but likely get squashed in the end.

burlesk, pr0wler and tycoonchip like this.
  3. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

How about we actually establish ourselves comfortably in the playoff picture before touting ourselves as a playoff team? Because as it stands we're still in track for good old 9th despite our recent success with just a few losses every now and then.

burlesk, pr0wler and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I blame Silas.

The lack of touches he gets is criminal.

burlesk, Magicsaint and Rocket_ph like this.
  5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I was exaggerating of course to highlight how absurd it is to expect a significant amount of teams to be tanking at the same time. Let's be more realistic and say there are 15 teams that are really in the process of rebuilding or should be since they're going nowhere (btw, I'd say I'm being conservative on that number). If the only correct way to rebuild is to get a top 4 pick, then how do you reconcile the impossibility that all 15 of these "mediocrity treadmill" teams should be tanking at the same time? That's what I've never understood.

Easy likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Of course not.

7. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

I somewhat agree but cannot fully blame Silas. The lack of true PG does not elevate Wood's game at times. John Wall is needed for Wood to showcase his game. Dipo and Gordon dribbled their way out all night and were not setting plays for others to be effective. Wall when he sets up plays for Wood he usually is able to throw high arching passes to Wood, tilt the defense on one side for Wood to go 1-on-1 inside against his defender, or able to give wide-open looks for Wood to shoot 3s. We saw none of that tonight. Missed Wall's playmaking ability tonight.

burlesk and MettaWorldPete like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

This is not the 1st game Wall has missed and it will not be the last.

Ever since Dipo was acquired, Wood has become the 3rd wheel, sometimes the 4th wheel. That is unconscionable if your words say he is our best player but then your actions say something else.

And Silas is responsible for roster construction AND rotation deficiencies because the buck stops with him.

burlesk and MettaWorldPete like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

According to some in here, if u make playoffs = instant contender status.

The team is a feels good story, teamwork and the power of friendship which is a turn on for dem "I hate superstar centric team" fans. To me at best we can upset someone in the playoffs if we get in, but we aren't scaring anyone.

Props to hc Silas and gm stone if we make it into playoffs even after trading harden.

burlesk, MettaWorldPete and sydmill like this.
  10. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

True Wall will miss many games but it still does not take away the fact that he is the best playmaker on the team and we saw how playmaking was missing tonight. But I agree, Silas will need to adjust when Wall is out and I simply just do not know how he will. Dipo will really need to step up big. Last few games he looks completely out of energy.

burlesk and D-rock like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

but u brought up Philly, Denver, and Boston...neither is an example of a team that should tank so your post didn’t highlight anything

an example of a team that should tank is Orlando...their ceiling is barely making the playoffs, they have no one worth building around, don’t have the assets to trade for a player like that, and no star wants to go there in free agency

I am only concerned with what the Rockets should be doing...a lot of franchises are content with just being a run of the mill playoff team with no hope of ever winning a title

burlesk and D-rock like this.
  12. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

You're new to this NBA thing I see.

13. SunsRocketsfan

Definitely not a contender but we were not going to win with Harden so I'm glad he's gone. The team is more fun to watch and the players seem to enjoy it as well. We are most likely a first round exit but we can make some noise.

You are being way too generous comparing us to the Pistons. They didn't have a superstar but they were talented 1 thru 5 with a balance between scorers and defensive playmakers.

Billups
    Hamilton
    Prince
    Rasheed Wallace
    Ben Wallace

If Wall is healthy he can maybe be Billups and Oladipo can slot in Hamilton's spot. Woods might be equivalent to sheed but sheed was a bit more physical.

We don't have anyone on the roster that is equivalent to Ben Wallace and or Prince. Wallace was key to their success being that crazy defensive physical presence and Prince was the long defensive wing.
    That team won 54 games by being extremely physical and wearing teams out. We are probably two pieces away to be comparable to the 04 Pistons and that's a big gap.

sydmill, daywalker02 and TWS1986 like this.
  14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Hell no but doesn’t mean it’ll be any less enjoyable to watch. I think the ceiling is getting to where Utah and Denver are with their talent leading to successful seasons. Even then we don’t really have the talent of a Jokic or Mitchell. Maybe close to it enough to be just as competitive though.

With all the picks we now have and ability to sign some other young players in free agency like Wood, I like the path the team is on though. Nothing wrong with enjoying a retooling young team while they build over time.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True, they were the epitome of defense.

16. Le$$

Le$$ Member

It will be a big accomplishment if this newly look team makes the playoffs. It is just too early to put that much pressure on a young team. I think if this the crew they are trying to build around... Possibly John wall, Woods and a future rookie star. You need to evaluate your team in the future and see what you can draft around, what player makes sense, and if you want to let go of old team players.

Pj tucker, Gordon, House are players from the old team, and i say you try to find them homes this deadline , or what not to bring in newer players. If Victor is a guy worth keeping, you need to see if he take a Capela type contract, if not then you move him at the deadline. If he is looking to just play out the year, id assume he will leave. He is not a cornerstone player, but maybe a 3rd option. Rockets still need to have money for a first option around Woods.

So i think next month is when you get the contract nego going. But there is still a lot of time, next year would be the year you shoot for the playoffs, and you got to put the table on the direction of how your going to build this team around Wood, if he is a player you want to truely build around.

sydmill likes this.
  17. Brown Juice

Brown Juice Member

Maybe in a decade.

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  18. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Given that we got stomped by a glorified G-League team, I'm guessing not.

However, Eric Gordon now averaging 18 PPG on 61 TS%? I guess he's not done after all!!

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This is still a fun ride. Those 9th sead Goran Dragic teams were fun too. I don't know if this team is better or worse than those.

Verbal Christ and burlesk like this.