1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are these Superbowl Ads Racist?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 31, 2013.

?

Are one or both of these ads racist?

1. Both are racist

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. The Coke one is but not the VW one

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. The Coke one isn't but the VW one is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Neither are racist

30 vote(s)
    88.2%
  1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was going to post this in Hangout but since it is about race figured the threads would end up here.

The first ad is a Coke ad showing a race of various groups through the desert to a giant bottle of Coke. Viewers can vote on who wins the race but the Arab is not one of the choices that be voted on.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/business/arab-american-groups-say-coke-super-bowl-ad-racist-1B8191874

Arab-American groups say Coke Super Bowl ad is racist

Arab-American groups have sharply criticized a Coca-Cola Super Bowl ad depicting an Arab walking through the desert with a camel, and one group said it would ask the beverage giant to change it before CBS airs the game on Sunday before an expected audience of more than 100 million U.S. viewers.

"Why is it that Arabs are always shown as either oil-rich sheiks, terrorists, or belly dancers?" said Warren David, president of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, or ADC.

Advertise | AdChoices

Coca-Cola released an online teaser of the commercial last week, showing the Arab walking through a desert. He soon sees cowboys, Las Vegas showgirls and a motley crew fashioned after the marauders of the apocalyptic "Mad Max" film race by him to reach a gigantic bottle of Coke.

In its ad, Coke asks viewers to vote online on which characters should win the race. The online site does not allow a vote for the Arab character.

"The Coke commercial for the Super Ball is racist, portraying Arabs as backward and foolish Camel Jockeys, and they have no chance to win in the world," Imam Ali Siddiqui, president of the Muslim Institute for Interfaith Studies, said in an email.

"What message is Coke sending with this?" asked Abed Ayoub, ADC's director of legal and policy affairs. "By not including the Arab in the race, it is clear that the Arab is held to a different standard when compared to the other characters in the commercial," he said.

CBS declined comment. Coca-Cola spokeswoman Lauren Thompson said Coke took a "cinematic" approach with the ad, employing the characters as a nod to movies of the past.

"Coca-Cola is an inclusive brand enjoyed by all demographics," she said in an email. "We illustrate our core values, from fun and refreshment to happiness, inspiration and optimism across all of our marketing communications."

Ayoub said ADC intended to contact Coke and CBS Corp on Thursday to "hopefully start a dialog."

"I want to know why this happened and how can we fix this if possible before Sunday," he said.

The ADC garnered attention back in 1992 when it complained that lyrics in the Walt Disney animated film "Aladdin" were racist.

Ronald Goodstein, professor at the McDonough School of Business at Georgetown University, said he was surprised by the image as well. "If Coke's vision is to be an arm's distance away from every customer, why would they want to offend the Arab world?" said Goodstein.

Ayoub said the commercial could harm Coke's business with the Arab community.

"Coke should understand and respect their consumers and have a better understanding of the market they are sharing," he Ayoub.

The company has a large market share in the Middle East and North Africa, he noted, and many convenience stores and other retail outlets in the United States that offer Coke are owned by Arab-Americans.

<object width='420' height='245' id='msnbc6615295' classid='clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' codebase='http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0'><param name='movie' value='http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640' /><param name='FlashVars' value='launch=50637657&amp;width=420&amp;height=245' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='wmode' value='transparent' /><embed name='msnbc6615295' src='http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640' width='420' height='245' FlashVars='launch=50637657&amp;width=420&amp;height=245' allowscriptaccess='always' allowFullScreen='true' wmode='transparent' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash'></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 420px;">Visit NBCNews.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.nbcnews.com">breaking news</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy</a></p>

The second ad is for VW and features a white office worker from Minnesota talking like a Jamaican. This ad has gotten some coverage in local MN news over the controversy. Note the Jamaican minister of Tourism has come out in support of this ad.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/20877381/super-bowl-ads-is-volkswagen-ad-of-minn-office-racist

SUPER BOWL ADS: Is Volkswagen ad of Minn. worker racist?

Read more: SUPER BOWL ADS: Is Volkswagen ad of Minn. worker racist? - KMSP-TV http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/stor...swagen-ad-of-minn-office-racist#ixzz2JZQhlS1Z

Super Bowl ads are always a topic of conversation, but Volkswagen's new ad is causing a already causing a stir after showing a white office worker from Minnesota speaking with a Jamaican accent.

The advertisement begins with a group of groggy coworkers stepping into a packed elevator. They begin to grip about Monday when Dave shares the positive outlook he evidently achieved through appreciating his new, 2013 Volkswagen Beetle.

Dave urges several coworkers to buck up with phrases like, "No worries, man -- everything will be alright," and "turn that frown upside down," through a thick Jamaican accent during the minute-long ad. About halfway through, he is asked to confirm that he is from Minnesota. He does, in that same accent, to the bewilderment of his colleagues.

After a "dismal" meeting, Dave suggests the room really needs a smile. He, his boss and a coworker climb into the car and go for what is presumably a joy ride. When they arrive back at the office, they are chastised for being 3 minutes late, but now all of the car's occupants have adopted the accent too.

The ad, Get In: Get Happy, has drawn some harsh criticism already, with some describing the ad as offensive. New York Times columnist Charles Blow told CNN's Soledad O'Brien he saw the ad as "blackface with voices."

"What happens in this ad is that the culture becomes a punch line, and that is offensive," Rochelle Newman-Carrasco, marketing strategist with Walton Isaacson -- an African-American, Hispanic and LGBT agency, told USA Today.

Yet, those accusing the ads of being racist have also been accused of being too uptight -- even by Jamaicans. The country's minister of tourism and entertainment, Wykeham McNeill, described the ad as a "complement" and is currently speaking with Volkswagen about co-branding.

In a second super bowl ad pre-released on YouTube, Volkswagen brought reggae legend Jimmy Cliff together with several characters in need of cheering -- from a cat-hugging Internet persona to a screaming politician and hurricane-beaten meteorologist -- to tell them, "we'll make you happy."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9H0xPWAtaa8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My own opinion is that neither ads are very racist especially the VW ad. I think the Coke ad though is slightly insensitive regarding not letting the Arab have a shot at winning. Since it is a viewer's poll it is most likely the Arab won't win in a US vote but Coke should've at least put that option up. Anyway just posting these for discussion.

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

This is really news??

Insensitivity is insensitive.

3. JD88

JD88 Member

I wish the world would stop looking for reasons to complain.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The first one is hard to figure out without watching I guess. From what I read it sounds like you can't vote for the Arab to win because he isn't actually in the race? Sounds like he might be more just shaking his head as a bunch of foolish characters run by him.

The second one is not racist at all. The NYT guying calling it blackface is a moron. The ad is easy to figure out and I don't see how it would offend anyone that isn't looking to be offended.

5. Classic

Classic Member

Holy ****. This country, really the media, is on sensitivity overload. I think the douche in the article complaining about the cultural punchline of the VW add needs to take a vacation to Jamaica & just chill for a couple weeks. That or he could buy a VW.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da was a racist song.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

In the Coke ad the Arab is trying to win but his camel isn't cooperating. What some Arab and Muslim groups are complaining about is that it makes the Arab look stupid as he can't even get his ride into the race.

8. Classic

Classic Member

The camel wins the race. Better suited for the desert vs a horse and a fuel inefficient bus.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Ah. Have to see it. Are movies, cartoons, commercials that have throughout history shown a cowboy struggle with his horse racist against white people?

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The VW ad isn't racist, IMHO, but it isn't as funny as it could be.

They chose the wrong guy for the lead part, I think, and his voice isn't that funny. Maybe to completely and obviously dub it with a real Jamaican voice would be funnier, and choose and older, balding employee with glasses? IDK. Meh.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My guess on the Coke ad is that they have a special role at the end of the commercial in mind for the Arab character. They wouldn't have put him in the poll because if he somehow won it, it'd mess up the storyline. It's unfortunate people are criticizing it before giving it a chance to show.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If they weren't planning on doing that because of the outcry it wouldn't surprise me if they have quickly reshot an ending involving the Arab.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Or people will think that they did to cover-up their racist commercial. I say he's got a role at the end because it makes compositional sense. He opens the teaser, they spend a couple of seconds with him, and then spend all the rest of the commercial on these 3 other parties, and we never see the Arab again. It would be bad storytelling and artistically unbalanced if he never shows up. And Coca-Cola produces high quality advertising material; I'd be surprised if they left an element just hanging like that, especially in a Super Bowl commercial. The Arab will be back in the end. I'd stake my life* on it!

* By "life" I mean a box of Life cereal.

15. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Both commercials are pretty good, I think, and aren't particularly offensive.

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

my white Jamaican friend (yes there are white Jamaicans) loved the VW ad. it portrays the islanders as easy going and laid back. most Jamaicans really like the ad.

17. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

so now they have to make sure the Arab wins to satisfy all the whiny bi***** complaining about racism/sensitivity. Hey rocketsjudoka! you suck!

18. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

All this just seems like a ploy to get me to watch commercials. I avoid all Super Bowl out of principle.

19. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

**all Super Bowl commercials

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Who do you think I put money on to win the Coke race... ;)