1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are there too many scorers on the team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nono, Nov 28, 2013.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Sigh. It is a new game in the NBA. It is being run by stats guys like Morey. Last season Houston was by far and away the leader in not taking inefficient mid-ranged shots. Miami was fifth in that department, the Spurs were ninth in the league. You all can b*tch and moan all you want, but Morey is not listening. The Rockets are going to make a run at the championship shooting less than 24% of their shots from beyond three feet to the three point line. An all time NBA record. Live with it.

I am a stats guy. I can assure you that every serious stats based site is marveling at how efficient the Rockets are running their offense. And asking why more teams are not doing likewise. Take a gander at this excellent analysis:

[​IMG]

#81 jtr, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

If I ignore a question I have either missed it or view the answer to be obvious to even the most casual of observers.

3. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

I don't understand how this can be a problem.

Having too many scorers is a Luxury not a problem.

If we didn't have too many scorers on this team we wouldn't be winning too many games with Harden out and like in the last game with both Harden and Lin out. That's 42 points per game of production out of a game and we still blew the Hawks out.

Not an issue unless players start to complain and make it an issue.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The Rockets currently do not have to many scorers. But it was a valid question by the OP. If the Rockets managed to obtain Love without giving up anyone in the starting lineup (assuming that Lin is in the starting lineup) it would be a huge problem. See my post above for an analysis.

5. Remii

Remii Member

Key points you're missing... San Antonio and Miami both have legitimate post games and don't take as many 3's (plus they have a better 3 point shooting percentage). And Wade isn't a good outside shooter, he doesn't take a lot of outside shots so that skews Miami's #'s... Stats are nothing if you don't evaluate all sides of the equation. And as of now the Rockets lack the aspects that Miami and San Antonio have... That's why I stated if the Rockets intend on winning a championship and if Howard doesn't get his post game together _ they better work on that mid range game (in addition to defense of course). Regardless on how much they do or don't use it, they better be able to do it because come playoffs they will need it...

1 person likes this.
  6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And the Rockets took the third most shots at the rim last season. I have not looked at this season in detail yet, but I expect with the addition of Howard and the penetration of Parsons and Lin that the Rockets currently lead the league in shots at the rim by a large margin. Post up game? Not irrelevant, but much less important than total shots in the restricted area. The best shot in basketball. By a wide margin.

But your posts are interesting to me. They keep me thinking. Good job.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

great thread....yes, we need less people that can score so dwight can be happy. i am positive this is what dwight wants

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And I just repped you Remii. Two reps in the last 3 days. I must be growing senile. LOL. You are doing great.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

AHHHRRG! You missed every salient point. And that is all I am going to say because it gets much less nice from here on out.

10. Remii

Remii Member

You're living off regular season stats. Playoff basketball is a different animal... The game slows down and teams have to be able to consistently execute in the half court. During the regular season _ post game can be irrelevant but come playoffs ---> see San Antonio, Miami, Indiana, Memphis... Last year's final 4 and they all have post games... OKC made it the year before without a real post game but they had 3 excellent perimeter players.

And thanks :) good to be able to have a debate without people getting upset and calling names.

11. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Premature. The Rockets are 11-5. They are playing great basketball given what they had to endure. Patience!

12. yunac010

yunac010 Member

No. We do have too many supposed playmakers though.