1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are there too many scorers on the team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nono, Nov 28, 2013.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I gave it five stars because it asked an interesting and perceptive question that I had been rolling over in my mind for a few weeks. Not something that I often see. And it took me 20 minutes to come up with an answer. Quite different from the usual thoughtless pablum threads on this forum.

2. Remii

Remii Member

They're scoring around the same amount of points as they did last year and the defense hasn't been much different either. And without Harden playing _ Asik has closed out the past couple of games with Howard on the bench in the 4th.

And did you not watch the Rockets last year...??? They got A LOT of open 3's...

So far Howard was just a lateral move.

3. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Yup. Our Record doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

4. Remii

Remii Member

Who have we beat... The Clippers..??? :rolleyes:

5. Play07

Play07 Member

remii I wouldn't read to much into that d12fan statements, it's clear he just started watching games since d12 came here, & that's cool. But he does need to be educated on how the rockets were breaking 3 point records last year & were known as one of the best highest scoring teams in the league, that just didn't play much Defense.

I will give Howard credit on offense for opening up more passing in the paint to cutting players like jones & parsons. compared to what ASIK did last year

6. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Interesting chart:
    [​IMG]
    Our shots are predictable and easily defended by top defensive teams (Pacers Spurs); Defend the perimeter, pack the paint and encourage us to shoot the mid-range 2's because not only we are one of the worst in the league, we don't even have a mid-range game.

Simple not true. Rockets are down in 3P attempts, 3P's made, and slightly down in 3P% from last season. I don't believe there is a standard which qualifies shots as "open," "semi-contested," or "contested."

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

No. You need to find a different voice on CF because analysis certainly is not your strong suite. Just take your lead from Morey, who pursued Howard for years. Howard changes everything, which will become even more obvious as the season wears on. The wings over committing to the 2.9 and Jones inability to box out will hopefully be fixed. The opponents defensive reaction when Howard gets the ball in the low post stands in stark contrast to Asik last season.

8. torocan

torocan Member

It's only too many scorers is people aren't willing to take a step back when they're not shooting well. If they are, it's always best to have scoring depth as it forces the guarding of all 5 positions.

On the other hand, if you have individuals more concerned with individual stats then yes, having too many people scoring (not the same as too many scorers) can be a potential problem.

So far Dwight has been talking like someone who just wants to win.

It may just be spin, on the other hand let's not forget that Winning cures a lot of ills. That time he complained about not enough shots in LA, the team was losing.

It's very different to demand more shots because you feel the team isn't being maximized (losing), versus demanding more shots when the team is clicking and winning a lot of games.

Personally I think it's the latter. If we're losing due to poor shooting and not getting the ball to Howard or Harden, they have a legitimate gripe. If we're winning, then we can see if someone cares more about winning than stats.

9. Play07

Play07 Member

chemistry from the core returning & having 48mins of depth at center spot with Howard & ASIK this year.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

By design by master Morey. The Rockets are ahead of last seasons NBA all time record for fewest % of mid ranged shots taken. The worst shot in basketball. And we as Rockets fans should celebrate it.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

^jeez my laptop didnt hold the whole image and I spend a bit of time looking for HOU LOL

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Howard needs his 3-5 post ups a game. The defensive collapse to the paint when Howard has the ball is a wondrous thing to see. As the Rockets three point shooting returns to the mean they will become an impossible out for most teams. 60 wins.

13. Remii

Remii Member

By no means am I calling Howard garbage _ I just don't undervalue Asik... And Howard is a better passer than Asik, but it's not like the Rockets needed him for that. If he had a legitimate post game and could play away from the basket _ I would feel a lot differently.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Different reaction _ same amount of points...

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The Rockets are currently scoring 3 full points more a game than last season. Despite the eight game disastrous TT experiment. In another 10 games they possibly could be at 111+ PPG, a five point increase from last season. And that is with Harden and Parsons shooting well below their 3PFG% from last season, leading them to (successfully) drive to the basket more.

16. verysimplejason

Tell that to MJ especially during his latter years.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Yeah. And last time I checked no one had successfully cloned MJ.

18. Remii

Remii Member

Kobe...??? Maybe not a clone but he takes a lot of mid range shots... I disagree that the mid range shot is the worst shot in basketball. The more distance between you in the basket the more difficult the shot. A lot of teams just don't defend out to the 3 point line so guys get more open looks from distance.

19. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Too bad that history is not on Morey's side.

When was the last time a team without a mid-range game actually won a championship??

Better yet, could you list HOFers who didn't have a mid-range game?

20. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

It helps to have scorers. It's keeps all 5 defenders honest and they can't sag towards Black Amish or D12. Also when the two stars are getting a breather we can still go on a run.