1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any Teams Behind the Rockets in the Standings with More Talent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pgabriel, Dec 17, 2009.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Matt Jackson and Adam Wexler were having this dicussion earlier this morning. I don't know what prompted it, both guy say they picked the Rockets to be a playoff team, however Matt didn't agree with Adam that the Rockets are outperforming more talented teams.

I've been excited with their performance like most people, but I tend to agree that they are probably where they should be given their talent and other teams.

Oklahoma City has Durant but they are extremely young still including Durant
    Matt was debating about the LA Clippers.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Portland
    Golden State

DD

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think the team is overachieving but only slightly. The whole "no talent" argument is one I never agreed with. This team lacks a superstar or even an All Star but it has better than average players at multiple positions and a fantastic bench that outplays the starters on many nights.

Brooks
    Scola
    Landry

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

fixed

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i don't get where we have "no talent."

AB is more than just a pretty good offensive talent. landry is a beast on the offensive end. scola is extremely crafty. those 3 guys would start on a TON of teams.

the other guys are more defensive hustle guys, but they are at least average scorers.

the kings i believe had less "talent" than us, although tyreke evans is a budding superstar.

6. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

What did you fix?

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

define talent.

Are we only taking offensive talent in to consideration?

8. rodmanhust

rodmanhust Member

how about Hornets? they have two all stars

9. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I agree, I've been saying this for a while. The fact is that people just poorly evaluate our talent level since we don't have any big names, and a lot of our guys were late picks that no one was paying attention to. But while these guys work hard, they're also pretty talented. Props to Morey for finding them all.

10. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Objectively speaking, our talent level is not that high. Scola is the only obviously above average player at his position. Brooks, Ariza, Battier, Lowry, and Landry are all the types of players that we have realized are good, but could easily be wasted on other teams. From that perspective, here's my list. All the following teams are behind us.

More talent than us:
    Miami New Orleans Toronto Washington
    Golden State Philadelphia Chicago

Comparable talent:
    Detroit Oklahoma City Milwaukee
    Sacramento Memphis Indiana Charlotte LA Clippers

Less talent:
    New York New Jersey Minnesota

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Its not so much the teams behind us aren't as talented as it is how close we hang with clearly superior teams. Portland, Utah, New Orleans, those rosters are significantly deeper than ours.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree.

And to put another way, just because a team might have the one or two best players on the floor does not mean they have the most talent. The Rockets seldom have the best or two best players on the floor but everyone in the rotation is a high quality player that can go off on any night. The Rockets have a ton of talent and more desirable pieces than at any time in the last 10 years IMO.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

It is as much buying into and playing in a system that maximizes the talents of the players on the team. Kudos to Morey and Adelman for implementing and the players for putting team first.

14. redao

redao Member

Rockets have the least talent in the league.

1 person likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think if you give every player a grade
    1 thru 10

Alot of teams will have maybe one or two 10~8 players
    and a bunch of 2~4 type players

I think in our starting line up and bench
    we have a bunch of 5~8 players

Brooks, Landry, Scola - solid 8s
    Battier, Chuck, Lowry, Ariza, CBud - Solid 6~7 players

I think when it averages out . . . Rocket maybe above average because
    collectively they are. . .while no individual is a 9 or 10

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  16. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Well put. I think that's exactly the issue.

People conflate the concepts "No marquee player" with "No talent," not looking at the breadth of the roster.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Rockets lack skilled 1-on-1 scorers. There's Brooks, Landry, maybe Scola (though he's really more limited on the post than a lot of people realize).

I would say there are a number of teams ahead of the Rockets on that basis that are behind them in the standings.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

And the misconception is that 'skilled 1 on 1 scorers' = 'talent'

IF that is what talent is, then sure, the Golden State Warriors are one of the more talented players in the league....

But good basketball players do so much more than scoring!

I think the Rockets have better 'overall talent' than most teams in the league - we just lack a superstar who can 'bring it' at both ends and step it up in the crunch. Or - I should say - we lack someone who has consistently done that so far in their career.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Just for fun - comparing us to the 'supremely talented' Blazers squad (imo)

Roy vs Ming
    Aldridge vs McGrady
    Miller vs Brooks
    Oden vs Landry
    Outlaw vs Scola
    Fernandez vs Ariza
    Webster vs Battier
    Blake vs Lowry
    Batum vs Budinger
    Przybilla vs Hayes
    Bayless vs Taylor
    Howard vs Andersen
    Cunningham vs Dorsey
    Pendergraph vs Cook
    Mills.

You could make a fair argument that the player in bold is the 'more talented' - I left the bottom 3 spots undecided since they're all a bit of a wash really (I mean, we hate Dorsey and Cook - but trading them for Cunningham and Pendergraph wouldn't be on any sane persons agenda!)

For what it's worth - I do think the Blazers have deep talent - but at worst this list should show that we have depth of talent!

20. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

You always have to watch out for any texas team, utah, and more recently the blazers.