1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Utah Utes the Real National Champions?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Jan 7, 2009.

?

Utah Utes: Champions?

1. Yes, the schedule and bowl results prove it.

69 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. No, their schedule and bowl results prove nothing.

68 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I think it is interesting.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3815656

Some gifts people give are pointless: Styling mousse to Dick Vitale. An all-you-can-eat card to Kate Moss. The BCS Championship given to Oklahoma or Florida.

It means nothing because the BCS has no credibility. Florida? Oklahoma? Who cares? Utah is the national champion.

The End. Roll credits.

Argue with this, please. I beg you. Find me anybody else that went undefeated. Thirteen-and-zero. Beat four ranked teams. Went to the Deep South and seal-clubbed Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. The same Alabama that was ranked No. 1 for five weeks. The same Alabama that went undefeated in the regular season. The same Alabama that Florida beat in order to get INTO the BCS Championship game in the first place.

Yeah, that's how it is now in the shameful, money-grubbing world of college football. If you're Florida and you beat Alabama, you get a seat in the title game. If you're Utah, you get a seat on your sofa.

Hey, remind me: What do they give out for one of those BCS things anyway? It's been so long since I cared. Something from Sears? This is the sixth year in the past 10 that the title has been in dispute under this cash-grab, fan-dis, monopoly that the BCS has created. Which is why the title game just doesn't matter anymore. It's like being named Miss Ogallala. Or Best Amish Electrician.

Just take a look at the teams that think they're worthy of being called national champs:

USC? Great year. Wonderful. Let's all go to SkyBar and celebrate. But it lost to Oregon State, a team Utah beat.

Texas? Lost to Texas Tech, which lost to Ole Miss, which lost to Alabama, which Utah crushed.

Florida and Oklahoma? They lost. Utah never did.

So that's it. Utah is the national champion. The Utes should probably have two now, actually. They went undefeated in 2004, too, and their coach still thinks they were the best team in the land. Smart fella named Urban Meyer. Coaches Florida now.

By the way, we're calling our title the "national" championship because it actually includes the whole nation*—all 119 Division I schools—unlike the BCS, which includes 66. Yeah, the BCS somehow eliminated the middleman—the NCAA. The conferences these schools play in take their dump trucks full of cash straight from the TV networks and fairness can go suck a lemon.

Do me a favor. Call Ohio State president Gordon Gee and ask him why he won't support a playoff. He's one of the most powerful presidents in the NCAA. He could get it done. If he says anything other than, "We don't want to share the loot" then you know he's lying his bow tie off.

"This is not how we normally do things in America," says Utah president Michael Young. "In America, quality usually wins, not conspiracy. And there's a reason people usually enter into a conspiracy. It's money. You make money doing it. And those that are in on the conspiracy want to stay in and keep everybody else out."

Sure, BCS blowhards will hand you schlock about how the college football season is like a playoff, how it's an elimination tournament every week. Really? Well, how come Florida and Oklahoma weren't eliminated with their losses? Utah ran the table, beat everybody set in front of them, including Ala-damn-bama in no less than the Sugar Bowl, and gets the bagel.

Oh, by the way? It was Utah's eighth straight bowl win, the nation's longest streak. Among the losers during that run? Let's see USC, Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, and now the legendary Houndstooth Hats.

"What else do we have to prove?" asks Utah's magical quarterback, Brian Johnson. Good question. He and the Utes essentially whipped Alabama at home. Handed Nick Saban a garlic necklace to wear the entire off-season. Stepped on his team's neck 21-0 in the first three possessions and never looked back. Let's see. Who was it that was losing to Alabama until nearly six minutes into the fourth quarter? Oh, yeah. Florida.

What, you want the Utes to win a spelling bee? Make a prize-winning souffle? Knock up Angelina Jolie? What?

It just slays me. It really does.

Call Myles Brand, president of the asleep-at-the-wheel NCAA, and ask him if he and his greedy presidents are going to stand in defiance of president-elect Barack Obama, who wants a playoff and wants it yesterday.

Ask Brand what he's going to do if Obama starts asking the Justice Department to look into anti-trust hearings against the BCS. Or the Department of Education to consider withholding federal funds from these schools that have entered into this secret club called the BCS. You don't think playing in the title game means millions in general-fund donations for a school? That's as unfair as anything Title IX fought against.

Until all these people do the right thing, I'll be celebrating with the true national champions—the undefeated, untied Utah Utes. (Our new slogan: Utahk about a team!)

Lemonades for everybody!

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm in. And anything that further exposes this BCS nonsense.

Undefeated and beating four ranked teams, including a long-time #1 in Alabama, does it for me. And I'm usually no Reilly fan.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'll say yes.....and they should have lost to TCU.....damn 2 missed chip shot fg's. :(

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think it's hilarious to see the same fans that crucify Texas for a close win against a top 10 opponent praise Utah, who has wins by a touchdown or less against Michigan, Air Force and New Mexico.

If Utah wanted to be taken seriously as a national title contender while being in the MWC, they shouldn't have backed out of their game with Texas. It's that simple. So, no.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Utah is the national champion.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Didn't they back out of a game with UT? If so, then no.

DD

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They're in the discussion, but because of their schedule, it's not cut and dry just because they're undefeated. Weber St? Utah St? Beat New Mexico 13-10? A&M beat New Mexico worse than that.

8. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Utah should be.

9. Angle02

Angle02 Member

They are not the National Champions.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I say no because the words Utah and Champions do not belong together in the same sentences less there is a negative operator in it.

11. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

they wouldve gotten stomped in the SEC, Big 12, even the PAC 10 and Big 10 with USC or OSU would have had them as a 3-4 loss team

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Seriously. I can't believe there are people on this site who think people from the state of Utah deserve any kind of championship.

You guys do realize that most of those fans are also j*zz fans, right?

CHECK YOURSELF

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yep. Anything (including a Utah team as champion) that heaps derision upon and hastens the demise of the BCS while getting us closer to a playoff has my support.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think the poll is unfair. Either they are or they aren't are the only choices. The correct answer is and should be "I don't know".

Because you can't crown champions unless there is a playoff.

What is clear is that Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, USC are no more deserving than Utah.

15. surrender

surrender Member

Their strength of schedule is 14th, ahead of USC. Yes.

16. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

There is no "National Champion," the whole system is BS. Fans should boycott these bowl games until something changes...

17. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Yes. Perfect season beat for top 20 teams and slapped a very good Bama team.

I'm so freaking tired of all the UT should national champ crap. Anyone who votes for UT #1 is an idiot.

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, what idiots. UT should automatically be disqualified from national championship contention for beating a top 10 Ohio State team by 3, but you support a Utah team that beat a 3-9 Michigan team (who, ironically, lost to Ohio State, 42-7) by 2. Additionally, they beat a 4-8 New Mexico team by 3 (Texas A&M beat them by a bigger margin, for comparison).

It's funny how margin of victory only matters when it's UT or a big-name team.

Assuming Oklahoma takes care of business tomorrow night, UT will have the same record as OU against a virtually identical schedule, but with a double-digit win head-to-head on a neutral field. Yeah, you'd have to be a complete idiot to even think about UT at #1 with that. :rolleyes:

19. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Before the Alabama game, I would have leaned toward no. But after seeing that beating, I'm leaning strongly towards yes.

We can land robots on faraway alien planets. We can use lasers to guide missiles accurate to hit a target within inches. We can remove horrific cancers from people and extend their lives enormously.

With all of this glorious technology, why the **** can't we get an NCAA football playoff system setup?

20. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

It's funny Tech beat UT in the final seconds and it was a lucky win...

UT beats Ohio State in the final seconds and zero mention of UT being lucky . .

:confused: :D