1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the timberwolves racist...should be in DD

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by eddiewinslow, Oct 29, 2012.

1. FanOnGessner

FanOnGessner Member

2. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

What an awesome title. HAHA PALE IN COMPARISON

3. StraightG

StraightG Member

Please show me exactly what racist comment Terrell made. Simply questioning whether an institution has racist practices is not racism. Terrell may have been misguided, but not racist.

racism = the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

A racist feels that there are attributes inherent to particular races and such attributes make said race either superior or inferior. A racist antagonizes, harasses, and oppresses races that he or she feels is inferior.

Again, show me where Mr. Terrell was being racist. Racism is not alive because people critique it. It is alive because there are bigots who attempt to oppress other races.

4. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Shut the F up....do not defend that guy in any way, he questioned the fact the team had so many non blacks and compared them to a pre-segregation 1950s basketball team, there is no other way to spin it.

5. James Harden

James Harden Member

fake article

but hilarious!

6. StraightG

StraightG Member

First off. I don't know who you think you're talking to. I want to respond in-kind, but I'm not going to stoop to your childish, immature theatrics. I didn't disrespect you, so I don't know why you're getting so emotional with me. I'll defend who I want to when I want to. But, I'm not defending him. I asked if anyone could look at that definition of racism and tell me how Mr. Terrell was racist. Him comparing the current Timberwolves to a whatever the heck a "pre-segregation 1950s basketball team" (what does that even mean) does not mean he is racist. You do not understand what racism means. Maybe you shouldn't speak on it homey.

7. rockyrhode

rockyrhode Member

Dude you are one of the most ignorant minded people ever. The level of stupidity you've conjured up in one thread just baffles me. If you make ignorant post ATLEAST back them up with solid facts instead of posting and running.

8. StraightG

StraightG Member

it's just sad, ain't it?

9. rockyrhode

rockyrhode Member

Definitely. He's a troll tryna get a reaction lol. Its a few on here

10. hairyme

hairyme Member

Man, you guys are nuts--this was a great article. Is anyone capable of having a civilized and measured discussion on race/ethnicity??

FACTS
    - The NBA has long been majority black.
    - Minnesota has one of the whitest fanbases in the NBA.
    - The Minnesota Timberwolves are majority white to the point of evoking images of Globetrotters vs. Generals.

Now, I agree that the black men quoted in the article insinuating that racism is at play is less than tactful--as evidenced by the knee-jerk offense taken here by the "race card"--but it's still worth considering... among more realistic factors!

FACTORS
    - Coincidence
    This recent iteration of the Twolves is certainly white, but has it been like this historically? It could just be how things shook out.
    - Business
    Fans, at some level, need to be able to identify with the athletes they're rooting for; that's not a racist trait, but rather, a human one. It's essentially the same sentiment behind Stern spending the last decade trying to "clean up" the league: a white middle-class fan relates to a player dressed in a suit a lot more easily than one wearing baggy clothing and chains. That holds true minus the "white" factor--I think most middle-class people are a little turned off by the whole "thug" look. Anyway, as a result, the NBA has increased in popularity again from its previous slump.
    - Attractive Free Agent Destination?
    This is one point the article didn't really touch on, but given that most NBA players are black and most likely come from city and/or urban backgrounds, it makes sense that they wouldn't be drawn to a city that demographically doesn't resemble what they're used to.
    - Rick the Ruler is Racist
    The fuhrer has his ways!

I think what would make an interesting study is to see if the white/black ratio of NBA rosters (over a period of time) correlate to their fanbases' demographics...

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

so uh...what about Utah/Indiana?

12. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

haha yeah, the timberwolves are the new jazz
    [​IMG]

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

even their black players are light skinned. I remember when they had spreewell and KG

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Terrell is not questioning whether the TWolves are racist. He is stating it as fact. He is basing this simply on the number of white vs black players on the team, not the merits of those players.

He clearly feels that white players are inferior basketball players who require special consideration to play in the NBA, and is using his position to harrass the TWolves.

1 person likes this.
  15. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

The fact that they hired a Hitler-look-alike to coach the team makes the whole situation even more suspicious. :cool:

16. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Going off of your definition the guy in the article would be racist. He believes that since the majority of NBA players are black the fact that Minny doesn't have a black majority means they don't have as you put it a group of players who possess characteristics or abilities fitting a basketball team. It would be the same as saying a hospital that employs a majority of black surgeons is racist because the overall majority is not black and since it is not black, that means they must not be the most qualified.

It works both ways.

17. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Just wait until the Jemele Hill article about how Minnesota is setting black people back 50 years. I hate that woman with a passion.

18. ThaShark316_28

Heard this same thing in 2004-06 when the Astros didn't have brothers.

19. rockyrhode

rockyrhode Member

I actually like Jemele Hill. She's one of the most knowledgeable women in sports

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

There's nothing wrong with the timberwolves. Talk about overanalyzing. Nothing is at all is racist about the Timberwolves organization. I don't know why stuff like this even gets any spotlight. This is just nonsense.

This is about as stupid as Warren Moon questioning why Cam Newton is always judged on everything just because he's black.

#60 ItsMyFault, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012