1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Spurs winning this way one of the best things that could happen for basketball?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by crossover, Jun 12, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Problem is Spurs are an enigma. How can every copy their management, playing style, competence 1:1? I do not see it.

It has never done in this form before.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

*everyone

It has never been done in this form before.

3. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Too bad Morey doesn't know anything about basketball.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The way the Spurs play now is not the same way they played when Duncan was still capable of completely carrying a team or when their "big 3" were all still in their prime and running things like Miami has done recently.

Go back and look at the Spurs stats back in the early 2000's and compare them to now.

The way they play ball now is exceptional, but let's not act like it's the brand of ball they have played for nearly two decades. When they had the horses to carry them essentially on their own they did it. It's a credit to the staff and organization that they have been able to adapt to declining returns from their star guys, but what they are doing is hardly the only way to get it done.

5. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Before the Spurs drafted David Robinson, they were one of the worst teams in the NBA for a long time. It's sort of ironic that everyone sees them as one of the all time greatest franchises now. It's proof that any team can turn around their image with a great coach and a couple franchise players in the mold of David Robinson and Tim Duncan.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thank you, Ole Ola.

7. ChandlerBANG

ChandlerBANG Member

Weren't we 4-0 against them this past season? Spurs obviously suck.

8. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

The reason why Pops system has worked so well is because his three core players buy into the system where there is less emphasis on individual performance and more on team performance. If the three top players on the team can play that way then the others have no choice but to fall in line or be replaced.

It does help that they have one of the best PF's to ever play the game (who's game is based on knowledge and fundamentals so his performance does not decline based on athleticism). No other team will ever come close to replicating the team oriented system unless the core players compliment each other and everyone puts the team success first (not just say they do). Lastly the Spurs have been able to perfect this strategy since 2001 (when Parker the last of the three to be drafted)..

It'll be a different era once all of the Spurs players retire, if I recall correctly Popavich said he would retire once Duncan retires. The era of Super teams?

9. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

Very few teams have played team ball on the level of the Spurs. The ones that come to mind are the 69 Knicks, the 77 Trailblazers, and the 85 Celtics. Of the three, the unselfishness on the Spurs, combined with an emphasis on defense, reminds me most of the 69 Knicks. And for me that's very high praise, since I grew up on Long Island and was 10 years old in the age of Frazier, Barnett, Bradley, Debuschere and Reed.

Will it translate to other teams in the NBA? It never has before.

10. TuanDinhVu

TuanDinhVu Member

What the Spurs are doing right now is impressive. I am so happy for them and their success. They are playing good, fundamental basketball and the results are obvious.

11. calcium

calcium Member

It also helps that they can recognise talent.

Look at Boria Diaw.

He was cut from the Bobcats, and that was when they where carp.

From wikipedia
    """
    On March 21, 2012, Diaw was waived by the Bobcats.
    He then signed with the San Antonio Spurs.
    """

Any team could have picked him up but didnt.

He's now like a superstar in their system.

12. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Wish the rockets play the spurs way...:(

13. Jt29

Jt29 Member

The bigger stage that counts more, homer. Rockets can go 82-0 in regular season, but in the playoffs goes 0-4, it wouldnt matter.

14. calcium

calcium Member

Apologies for the typos. Super tired and didnt proof read.

Boria=Boris
    where=were

15. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Morey was dumped by the celtics for a reason....

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

lol, no he wasnt

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Their depth is unparalleled because their stars take roleplayer money, actually convincing guys to take way less than they're worth is the art of their franchise.

18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Yes. I am loving it. The spurs really play the most beautiful basketball I have ever seen, and they prove that a good system can beat the more talented teams.

I really hope other teams learn from this and try to use the same style. i hate the hero ball that most teams use. I have always preached passing and making the extra passes.

When I trained a team I always made them play without the dribble to improve the passing.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

you can forget it with Dork Elvis at the helm.

20. RightToCensor

RightToCensor Member

The thing about the Spurs is that they don't have that one great player you can give all the recognition to like: Lebron, Kobe, Dirk, Duncan (05,03,99), Shaq, Jordan, Hakeem, etc..

That's why ESPN and other sporting networks don't talk about the Spurs all that much because they are a team with a bunch of unmarketable D-Leaguers what play in a system offense and system defense who look like superstars on the biggest stage but look invisible during the rest of the season.