1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Spurs winning this way one of the best things that could happen for basketball?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by crossover, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Mr. Space City

the rockets tried that and failed.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Morey don't give no ****s about the Spurs.
    He's going hard for that big three.

Morey GOAT.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am of the very conviction that the Spurs must be dismantled in any major way so that the Rockets new Big 2 or Big 3 can rise.

They are just toying with teams in the West now.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I seriously wonder if we should just say **** it, our defense will suck no matter what we do and go RGV Viper mode and jack up 60 threes a game.

5. treeman

treeman Member

I am and always have been a Rockets fan first. But the Spurs... They have a VERY high quality organization, have for a while. They have a top-notch coach, hands down. They don;t really have superstars at this point, but their team operates like a well-oiled machine - it just keeps working year after year. They don;t go after big names every year; they don't need to. They make the best use of what they have. THIS is what a well-coached and well-managed team looks like. There aren't many of them, and none that I can think of that is at their level. They've been doing this for over a decade.

I would absolutely love to see other teams emulate their model. Is it gonna happen? No. There's too much money to be made chasing ghosts and pretending to want to win.

1 person likes this.
  6. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Yes, the Spurs are THAT Good.... when they are gaining respects from ClutchFans.

7. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

I want to see how good Parsons can be under Popovich. The rookie Parsons that is.

8. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

I admit to being surprised by the Spurs' cruising to big wins @ Miami. I think the Heat have run out of gas as a team and it starts with Dwayne Wade. All that said, San Antonio looks poised to win with the style that Mike D'Antoni pioneered in Phoenix. You can win without stars by moving the ball, using screens, hitting the open man and trying to achieve the best available shot that the ball can find with the talent you have. Duncan, Parker and Ginobili are no longer 'stars' in the true sense of the word. They cannot carry teams the way they used to. The Spurs are winning this because Leonard, Green, Diaw, Splitter and Mills and others are able to spread the floor, take advantage of match-ups and score. It's 8 on 1.5 right now and the Spurs are winning big. It bodes well for team basketball, ball movement, and it might mean that big stars make less than they hoped. Maybe in this new NBA a Chandler Parsons is worth a $12 million a year contract and Melo only worth about $15 million? Phil Jackson seems to be suggesting that he doesn't need Carmelo to build a championship team because the Spurs have figure that game out.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'm sad to say that I agree with you. If this model could actually influence change, the 2003-04 Pistons team would have already done so

10. redglare92

redglare92 Member

Watching them put on a clinic in the fundamentals has been incredible to watch. You can really see it when the camera pans wide over the court and you can see the ball zipping back and forth on a possession. I'm sure a lot of coaches in the league and elsewhere are watching in admiration. They have all the pieces in place - great if not greatest post player in Tim Duncan, one of the best PGs in Tony Parker, HoF coach, a seriously deep bench, and a future with guys like Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard to boot. Their offensive strategy and passing is running the Heat ragged in these past two games and they play solid team defense on the other end consistently. It's tough as a Rockets fan to admit they are playing this game at such a high level since they're conference and division rivals; they are definitely bringing something else to the sport overall by demonstrating great team dynamics and cohesiveness.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Popovich started out being defensive teams when he had Robinson, then young Duncan.

Now it is a European style free flowing system where Offense is the key and Defense its partner.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

*Popovich's teams

13. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Team basketball is in direct conflict with the business model of the NBA, which is why it wont be replicated.

Spurs vs. Pistons was the least watched Finals in history, the league hates hates hates that. They love the Spurs in this finals though because its the clash of styles. But can you imagine a Spurs-Pacers finals? Nobody would care in America.

1 person likes this.
  14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Absolutely it is good for basketball for all the reasons mentioned above. Plus it is so damn enjoyable to watch.

15. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

I dont care how much spurs win will affect the league, I only wish it could influence Morey and McHale a little bit.

16. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I do think that the way the Spurs play basketball needs to played by more teams. If they win the title, other teams will follow suit. The NBA is a copycat league and it's about time the league copies a team that plays basketball the best.

I'm so tired of watching teams relying on one or two players almost exclusively down the stretch of games and series. And as long as players like Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Westbrook, Harden and other similar players win and are successful, that type of gameplay will still exist. The Spurs have shown the NBA that you don't need the top player in the league to win; both in the regular season and the playoffs. The only arguable top 15 player they have is Parker and most people tend to forget him after the more exciting layers.

17. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

David Blatt is being interviewed by the Cavs, who won the Euroleague with Maccabi Tel Aviv, by basically getting the most out of a rather mediocre team.

If he got hired it would be great for the league, another coach who gets players to play with heart rather than ego.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Did the Bulls rely heavily on teamwork or heavily on Jordan and Pippen?

Threepeats are still greater than 5 years 1 championship or every other year

but I get that you like teamball. Just watch European Basketball.

19. Rockness

Rockness Member

It's indeed great for the NBA, it makes it better that it's in beating the Heat. The Spurs were better last year too so I'm glad there's no slip up this time and people talking about a 3-peat and which one is better yadayada...

Does Rick Adelman deserve some credit here? :)

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2014 seems alright to me, especially when considering they were incredibly close to winning in 2013 and some other years.
    I'd rather be a top 3 team for 15 years than having one threepeat and then going to mediocricy again.