1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Spurs a lock to win the SW Division now?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by wakkoman05, Jun 23, 2009.

1. BlakeBroussard

The Spurs a lock to win the SW division? No way-perhaps they move into the designation of "favorite" to win the division, but that is about as certain as its gonna get for anyone looking at the situation correctly.

There are no "locks" in a division with the scrappy Chris Paul lead Hornets, the still loaded with talent, always dangerous Mavericks, and, of course, our team the Rockets-a defensive juggernaut and championship contender regardless of whatever gains or losses go down this offseason. I'd hesitate to even designate the Spurs as favorites considering how tough the SW is, but at this point in the offseason they do seem to have, at least on paper, improved their standing from last season (which was only a "disappointment" by recent Spurs standards).

Bringing in Richard Jefferson and his 19+ ppg for an aging Bowen and some change looks to be, at this time, a bold and smart move by a Spurs team who appear to need a boost in order to bring their talented but aging team into real contention again. Indeed, it will probably turn out to be a good move by them all around, but there's no knowing for sure if the move will really take them where they want to go until the season gets going. It may be unlikely, but perhaps Jefferson will be a terrible fit and never produce in the Spurs system-the likelyhood of him going there and being a bust is small but it certainly isn't a foregone conclusion that he'll be the player they expect they're getting.

Perhaps it's not the best example, but to bring home the point look at two big name players that came to Houston just recently: Bonzi Wells and Ron Artest. Certainly Jefferson is more akin to Artest (in production level I mean) than Wells (a guy that never played to his abilities anywhere he went), but unless you're bringing in a guy at Kobe or Lebron's level you never really know what you might end up with. Whether its the guy or the new system he's in; you could end up with a Ron Artest or a Bonzi Wells... and let's hope Jefferson turns out to be more like a Bonzi Wells as long as he's with our hated rivals the Spurs.

Sure, he'll probably end up falling somewhere between bust and the player the Spurs really hope he can be, but even if he rejuvenates that team and drops close to 20ppg for the next couple of years (the best case scenario) don't count on the Spurs ever being "locks" to win the stacked SW division.

1 person likes this.
  2. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

They disposed of all their defensive role players. Teams that are "locks" must be well rounded and the Spurs covered their aging the last two years with scrap plays from the supporting cast. As important as it is to get a go to offensive threat like Jefferson, they will miss the completeness of their defensive schemes.

They seem far more beatable to me. I fear RJ, but it's nothing worse than Kidd to the Mavs. How much better can he make them?

Also, his contract almost definitely indicates they have given up on the 2010 "jackpot". This may prove to be a wiser move than saving up for an underwhelming shopping spree.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

They could put together nearly an All-Star team lineup if they sign Rasheed.

Parker
    Ginobili
    Jefferson
    Wallace
    Duncan

4. munco

munco Member

We were a lock according to fans on this BBS, but not too many people outside of here believed T-Mac and Yao would stay healthy all year long. The Lakers and Spurs have been the teams that "experts" seem to pick year in and year out to come out of the West. While not necessarily a lock, I think the majority of people are predicting the Spurs to win the SW now. When RJ is your fourth option you have a great team.

5. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

If they indeed sign Rasheed then even the Lakers should be worried. I dont know about the bench but that starting five is scary. A minimum of 60 wins plus a lock for the Western Finals. ( assuming everybody stays healthy )

6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I'm not saying they would use that lineup very often even if they do sign Rasheed but if they did, would we have an advantage at any position based on our starting 5 from last season? The only position where I'd say it could even possibly be a draw is Wallace and Scola even though they are totally different types of PF. I know Wallace's stats were down a little bit last season but he is undoubtedly a highly talented player when motivated and has won a championship. He's also longer and a better defender than Scola. It would be tough for Scola to defend him either in the low post or when he spreads the floor.

Of course, we don't know if the Rockets will make a splash as well at this point but the Spurs have already made a big move while we're still hoping that the Rockets do something. I also have to believe the Spurs will make another significant move, whether it's bringing in Wallace or another quality big.

7. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Assuming that is their line up, some other players might decide to play with the Spurs thus strengthening their bench. ( Ex. AI, Birdman ) Scary. Hope the Rockets can make their own moves that would entice players to come over cheap with the chance of winning a ring.

8. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Not the title I'm looking for.

I could care less if the Spurs win the division title. That doesn't mean they are better than us.

(Ex: This year)

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

The crazy thing is Bowen and Oberto would probably be cut by the Bucks because they are only partially guaranteed. Care to bet on which team they would sign up?

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Manu Genobli is not the same player. That's why they made this deal.

Tim Duncun is not the same player.

I think Richard Jefferson will help them immensely. But not sure it makes them a top 3 team. It definitely keeps them in contention though.

11. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

It really depends if they can build their bench. They might have to cut or trade Bonner or Mason as stated in the ESPN report to get under the salary cap. Having no bench and injury prone players will only get you so far.

12. Jeasy713

Jeasy713 Member

I'm sorry but this must be said!

aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!! got d@mnitsomanabeech!!!

13. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Easy, The off season just got started. Anything can still happen for the Rockets. In Morey we trust!

14. bamtonio

bamtonio Member

oh, maybe we'll be able to put 6 players on the court!

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I may get blasted for this, but I think that team looks a lot better in a video game than in reality.

Defensively, that team isn't great, and we're not even discussing the bench. (Although I suppose if Manu flops enough then you could have a pretty effective D scheme with Duncan and any other three guys. :p :p)

They'll win 50+ and make the playoffs, but I could see it going either way in a series with Houston, Portland, Denver, or especially LA. They're not going to run away with anything.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Lets see, Udoka needs to be resigned, so do Drew Gooden and Finley before they even consider signing Bowen and Thomas (maybe Oberto) back for the vet. min. According to that article they are already over the luxury threshold. Meaning they would look like the Nugs at the beginning of this season, financially speaking.

No way in hell they have the money to sign Sheed!!!

17. Oz Rocket

Oz Rocket Member

The Spurs looked very old last year and i'm not sure that signing RJ is the answer, sure gives them another scorer.. But he needs the ball in his hands. I would think that their bench would still be an issue. And one move does not an off-season make.. rockets have plenty of negotiating chips and money by the sounds of it. Something which other teams do not have.

18. BlakeBroussard

Amen. My thoughts exactly...

19. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

True, without Gooden, Finley and the traded pieces, The Spurs are over the cap by 4.5 million. If they wish to stay below, they would have to let go of others. Unless, The Spurs do not mind paying the tax in the effort to dethrone the Lakers.

20. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

man they are going to dominate the league.

I think this Jefferson deal is something along the lines of Pau Gasol deal. except this is EVEN MORE OF A ONE SIDED DEAL. no picks, no young talent, no nothing, except a bunch of retiring 40 year olds.