1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets now the favorites?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 28, 2014.

1. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I am not sure. I like the energy Smith brought. Can he do that consistently? There were a few times when i felt like the ball was passed in to a black hole when it was passed to him. That could be a lack of practice. I hope it is. I dont want a head case that thinks he has to have his. Also agrede with others no the additional playmaker. Harden can't do it all and I am concerned we will see him riding a hovearound at the end of the season as much as we are riding him right now.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

DMo is still the weak link in the rotation. A dozen games of looking like an actual NBA player has not sold me. I still think we need one more big with size who actually plays as big as he is. We also need another perimeter guy who can get his own shot.

Get those two things or develop them from what we have and I will call us one of the favorites.

3. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

From recent memory, I still feel like the 2009 team was deeper. The line-up was:

Brooks - Lowry
    McGrady - Wafer - Barry
    Artest - Battier
    Scola - Landry
    Yao - Mutumbo - Hayes

Most of that second unit started for other teams and were very talented. The fact that Yao had a quality back up center in Mutumbo shifts the favor in the 2009 team. Alast, the huge asterisk is if the team was healthy. If we were, I think we would have won the title that year. Lakers couldn't stop Yao, we were better than the Nuggets (WFC opponent) and Yao would have dominated Dwight (Finals opponent). Add a healthy TMac, and that team was primed for a title.

This current team is really close. If we can get a real back up center for Dwight, then we will be more deep than the 2009 team. Add Dragic and we will be set for late May/early June.

4. rocketseagles07

What evidence do you have that shows they're overrated when healthy? Only issue they have is depth and you only go 8 deep in the playoffs anyways. They have the best big two in the game and they're a matchup problem for us. I think we can beat anyone but them until I see if our improvements really make a difference against a fully healthy okc team

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We never got those 2 together for any extended period. If Yao and Mac had been healthy then yes, that team is right there with this one talent wise, maybe even better. In the 08-09 season T-Mac had already reached corpse status.

6. Zbed

Zbed Member

We could start talking title if that happened.

7. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

This team will win the title. There's no other way around. We've gone through our injury bug and will be ready for the playoffs.

8. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

As long as Dwight keeps struggling against elite frontcourts like the Clippers, Thunder, and Grizzlies, then no, we are not the favorites.

We desperately need another playmaker to be considered the favorites. If that playmaker (Dragic) requires giving up D-Mo, then we'll need some frontcourt depth too.

9. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

You go on a week long rant on how Smith is horrible and will ruin our team, now you want to say we are the favorites? Make your mind up.

1 person likes this.
  10. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

i can share your enthusiasm dakota, last night I even dreamed that this rocket squad just won the NBA title over the Knicks (my subconscious bringing me back to the 94 nba finals) and I was planning to take the day off for the victory parade. With that being said, lets wait and see, we still dont know how this is all gonna turn out.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, that could increase our chances of winning a title this year.
    I admit it won't be easy to get all we need, but DM won't stop trying.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is back to being the old DD.:grin:

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I love the additions.

But the Rockets still look lost at times with Harden out of the game. The one element this team still needs is another player to be able to drive & dish, and create their own shot.

Either more minutes for CANAAN or trade for DRAGIC...or both.

If the Rockets can trade for DRAGIC without losing KEY rotational guys (DMO) then I think this team will SERIOUSLY be ready to go to war in the playoffs.

14. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Smith brings a lot more to the table. He is a great defender (both man to man and help defender), a very good rebounder and a great passer. His efficiency should go up some being the 3d option, but even if it doesn't he helps our team in lots of ways. And he helps harden conserve some energy by creating some for himself and others.

Every team is in trouble when a key player is having a down night. We are not Perfect but the smith signing helped out a lot.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So now. . it is all on McHale
    he has all the proper tools. . .

Rocket River

16. Junebball

Junebball Member

This is funny .. you get either overly cautious or irrational homers on Clutchfans. I agree with OP, this team is built to win this year even without Dragic.

A lot of people have brought up tough match ups against OKC and the Clippers. People are going with last year team in mind with Parsons as our "best defender". Just to remind you Beverly missed the game earlier this year against the Clippers. We have a legit PF to defend Blake Griffin in the post in Josh Smith. Flip in the offensive end, neither Barnes nor any other wing defender can guard this year Harden one on one.

Same thing with OKC .. will throw Ariza on Durant and Beverly on Westbrook.
    Howard knee issue is a legit concern though

17. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I haven't been a fan since 72 but for over 20 years and I agree. On paper this is by far the most talented team I have seen. Im not a big fan of the coach but he seems to be making all the right moves so as of now I stand corrected.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I was ok with taking the risk at the low price point, but worry that his chucker mentality will screw up the chemistry, still do, but I am hopeful McHale will bench him when that happens.

I do think we have the deepest team in the NBA and are a favorite now.

DD

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes, if the players play bad, it's McHale's fault and he should be fired.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DaDa - It is almost time for another video . .. . . ?

Rocket River