1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets now the favorites?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aren't you the guy who was pissing on the Smith acquisition for days? I guess this is you saying you were wrong again.

2. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I also don't think there is a favorite. In the west alone you have okc, sa, lac, gsw, dal and hou. Memphis looks strong right now. All of these teams are strong contenders. It's a toss up really. It comes down to match ups, health, coaching, experience...

But this year we are at the top of the discussion!

3. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

This!

4. Jharden13

Jharden13 Member

One thing is for sure Josh can't be taking 21 shots like he did the other day on a regular basis if we are to go deep.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is crazy. When did being two deep matter?

Adding josh smith doesn't make us the favorite for anyone anything but a brick laying contest. Sure he might work out, but it is a wait and see thing.

Still have no second creator to relieve harden.

I do like our chances. If the threes are falling I think we can beat anyone, but we aren't the favorites

#65 justtxyank, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  6. bmd

bmd Member

It's a little early to say that. They've only played one game, and it wasn't overly-impressive. If they start dominating teams, then you are on to something.

But let them play some games first before you crown them.

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

The West is wild. Literally.

Anyone can win it. Can't remember a time it was this stacked. Great of the sport.

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Being eight deep matters, because that's your playoff rotation. Right now ours looks like this:

Beverly, Harden, Ariza, Smith, Howard, Terry, Brewer and DMo. No other team has a significant better 8.

Smith is another creator with his penetration and passing. DMo is a creator with his post moves. Sure, adding another perimeter playmaker like Dragic helps us a lot - and I pushes Terry out of the playoff rotation. Right now id try to get a guy like Dragic with all our pieces outside of these eight (maybe include Terry, since he would be the odd man out).

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

We've avoided Les's homer overhype win-it-all jinx so far... :eek:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>General Thought - Have to be top 10 in both offense and defense to win it.
    Only
    Warriors 5th and 1st
    Blazers 8th and 3rd
    Bulls 6th and 9th</p>&mdash; David Locke (@Lockedonsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/Lockedonsports/status/549098353070321664">December 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>In December 3 teams have been top 10 in both offense and defense
    Warriors 7th/5th
    Thunder 8th/6th
    Wizards 9th/4th</p>&mdash; David Locke (@Lockedonsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/Lockedonsports/status/549099445644574720">December 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Honestly, I hope Rockets could be better. So I hope Dragic could join them by Feb. On the other hand, it is also true that due to injuries and new additions, Rockets need more time to gel and improve on the offensive end.

11. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Favorite: "preferred before all others of the same kind"

Its just too close to call in the West right now. Very nice to be in the discussion, but we are not clear cut favorites....we could become the favorites in the next couple of months, or not. Let's enjoy this and see what develops.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Give me Dragic and a good defensive backup center and maybe.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Smith will have to do more than have one game where he takes 21 shots and hits the, at around 40 percent before anyone should start thinking he's somehow a different player than the inefficient chucked that has shot teams out of games for years now.

This team can still bog down offensively and on nights when Trevor shoots poorly it can get really dicey against a good team.

Harden is going to be burned out by the playoffs at his current rate. It's nice to say we are two deep, but in reality we are only one deep in perimeter ball handlers that can run the offense and create offense for himself and others and that's harden.

14. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

if dwight howard can recover to play like he did against portland last year, we are definately one of the best in the leaugue. if he plays soft like against memphis, we look good on paper. he sucked. wasn't even trying to guard gasol at times. and wasn't even able to stop drivers from layups. he was a liability. he sucked.

i'm afraid his knee may be bad.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He has a history of struggling vs Memphis. They're his kryptonite.

16. rocketseagles07

Still don't think we can beat OKC. They're a terrible matchup for us and Dwight is regressing. We also still need another playmaker. Harden can't do everything! I think we'll be in the mix but definitely not the favorites

17. rocketseagles07

He's struggled against anyone who can match his strength not named Robin Lopez. Perkins, Adams, Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, etc

18. Jharden13

Jharden13 Member

Rockets are one of the few who can match okc big two..okc are overrated to me and them finishing 8th is only going to hurt them come playoff time.

19. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i agree we need another wing play maker, hopefully a point guard, to win a championship. As is, with dwight playing well, i see us in the second round for sure.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

DD, I love you as a poster, but I think we are a "Goran" away from being the favorite. Rockets are deep though.