1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets now the favorites?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not until we trade DMo for Dragic.

1 person likes this.
  2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I have been a Rockets fan since 1982. I also believe this is the most talented Rockets team ever, even surpassing the championship teams led by Hakeem. Those teams had terrific chemistry, but outside of Hakeem, they were not that talented. Case in point, we won only 46 games in 2005, being a 6th seeded playoff team.

This is very exciting guys.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

:eek::eek::eek: nicely done

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Please don't turn into a Zombie or White Walker babbling about the things others said.

5. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

No, not close. The Cavs, Raptors, and Bulls are bigger favorites to win the championship than us, because we are in the WC. Right now the online betting market has us at around 15 to 1, but I think there's some value if you can bet the Rockets at 20 to 1.

Sadly, if we were in the Eastern Conference we would probably be the favorites, but we will have to beat teams such as Memphis, LAC, GS, and San Antonio to even get to the finals. Simply getting to the finals is extremely difficult in the WC. The good news is that when the Rockets won in 94-95 we were probably something like 100 to 1 underdogs to win it all when we actually got into the playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I dont think there is a favorite this year... there are like 6 teams i could see winning it all

7. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

You think? We were the two seed in '04 with 58 wins and the MVP. In '95 only a 46 win 6 seed but players were coming back from injury and we had added Clyde. Maybe not favorites but 100 to 1?

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Come on. One game? I am excited, but I will reserve judgment. I would like for Dwight, Josh and James to develop their pick & roll chemistry. Also, I want to see what kind of rotation McHale comes up with. Finally, the Rockets *have* to find another play maker to spell Harden. Canaan was emerging before his injury. He could be what the team needs if McHale will trust him on D.

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Too soon.

1 person likes this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It's definitely WAY too soon, but man I'm getting a really good feeling.

Even with the problems the Rockets have: Backup Center (I actually think Dorsey is doing a good job defensively and TJ and DMO can also fill in), inefficient offense without Harden on the floor. I think the most glaring problem that has been holding the Rockets back has been wiped out with the addition of Josh Smith.

I think Josh Smith's (potential) ability to play defense and score on Ibaka, Griffin, Aldridge, ZBO is EXTREMELY HUGE! Suddenly the biggest mismatch for the Rockets isn't a mismatch. Every time Rockets play those top teams it's the PF that crushes any chance of the Rockets succeeding.

I can't say Rockets are the favorites yet until the Rockets play OKC, Clippers and Portland (with Aldridge), but I'm not as afraid of those teams anymore.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

There is no amount of depth that poor health cannot not lay low. Right now my main concern is Dwight; he just doesn't look himself yet.

Don't even begin prognosticating until the all-star break, if not the two weeks leading up to the playoffs. It's way too early right now.

12. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Let's not jinx it. Corey Brewer and Josh Smith are huge additions, but I'm not ready to declare us as front runners.

Golden State, San Antonio, Portland and Oklahoma City are all very very good teams and in the same conference. The Rox might have to beat three of those four teams just to make it to the finals, so it's going to be tough even if they are the so-called front runners.

13. rockets belle

rockets belle Member

I don't want us to be the favorite. The reason why I started rooting for the team was because I was fascinated by Yao Ming (born in the 90's) and because they always lost the few times I catch a game lol - I felt bad for them I guess but I've always rooted for the underdogs :) I just hope there will be no more injuries.

14. Jharden13

Jharden13 Member

Favourites not yet

We were favourites in round one last year but looked terrible. Harden for one was very bad. .playoffs are different game.

15. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Every team in the top 8 come playoff time is gonna be a favorite, minus dallas.

16. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

This is true. The media didn't give the Rockets any love when then won it all in '94, and the same thing when they won it again the following year. It is like deja vu.

I've followed the Rockets since they moved here from San Diego.

17. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

I agree.

18. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I would agree with this, unfortunately.

19. PeppermintCandy

I'm waiting to be convinced Smith is the final major piece. Definitely talented but is not always in control. Can he be made to fit the system?

Still, this team has to be considered a favorite to get to at least the conference finals. And here I was thinking they had taken a step backwards this offseason.

20. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Not sure about favourites, but I'm pretty happy with the current squad and would like to see what they can do after some games gelling together.
    Mind you, I was quite happy with last years team- but looking at what we have now with brewer, smith, Ariza and jet I'm much happier than what we had with parsons, Lin, casspi and Asik.
    But even if we are favourites, I'm happy to keep things in check and take it a game at a time. It's the Wild West!