1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets lacking "intangibles" players?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 14, 2013.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

We're having trouble, but the reason does not seem to be talent. So overall I'm not worried. But there does seem to be something missing with this team. And perhaps it's because we lack players with intangibles?

I'm talking about guys like Battier, Scola, Hayes, Thorpe, Elie. Veterans you feel are just professionals who bring it every night. I feel our team is still a little young and inexperienced. And we really can use some veterans to provide some guidance. A player similar to a prime Battier IMO would be ideal.

2. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I know what you mean, this team looks like they lack some fire in their eyes...

no real leader?

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

We have me.intangibles cp25 still don't we?

Once he gets his back right he'll be back, even today he had a clutch block which almost won us the game.

4. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

I thought that was Bev/Parson...guys who bring more than the stat sheet suggests.

You mean role players?

5. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

Want fight? Trade for MWP

6. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I think Bev, Lin, and Parsons already bring the intangibles, of diving for balls, deflections, steals, energy, etc.. IMHO, it's Sampson's defensive scheme that is not working and adapting with the times and a lack of chemistry leading to poor shooting and turnovers due to the ever-changing lineups. Everyone's got work to do and they're being paid handsomely to do it.

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I mean, if you're asking if they're young and stupid, the answer is yes. I'm not sure that's the biggest problem, but it's definitely one of them.

Obviously the team would be better if the rotation contributors were savvy veterans, but that's assuming said veterans could at least approximate the production of the guys they were replacing.

Right now we just have to be patient.

8. KWilson71

KWilson71 Member

Yes they are missing a veteran,but imo Parsons and Bev are those gel guys.

9. hahachui

hahachui Member

Bev is doing all the small things

I hope Garcia can do this for rockets too.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

The fact that posters are bringing up Beverley and Parsons is exactly my point. One is a 3rd year player and the other is almost a rookie. No matter their talent, they don't bring any presence on the court. When people talk about Battier, they talk about how he tells everyone else where to go on defense. When people talk about Scola, they say how much of a professional he is and how everyone look up to him.

We lack that. Garcia probably is the only player who fits that bill, and he doesn't do so very well.

11. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Are u confusing intangibles with leadership and locker room guys? Very confused

12. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Depending on the type of leadership, these often go hand in hand

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Patrick Beverly doesn't bring "presence" on the court? Say what?

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Since leadership and locker room contribution doesn't show up on the box score, wouldn't they be the very definition of intangibles?

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

That's because the nets signed every savvy vet in the league.

16. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

The team lacks intangibles/leadership alright...at the head coach position. McHale is becoming like Kubiak to me, I feel this team will be limited with him in the long run. I have faith that the Rox won't let him hang around too long like the Texans have. Rox even let Rudy T go after underachievement for his teams in late 90s early 2000s. Its obvious that players are already getting run in the ground that's why all the nagging injuries at this point. I'm glad McHale finally let Jones into the rotation but Brewer needs to be out there to help the perimeter defense because that's a big reason why the Rox been losing. McHale is constantly getting out coached and its a glaring problem at this point. The team's totally different from when they hired him and pointing in a different direction than rebuilding. They need a better coach to get help get them over the hump.

17. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

As Morey said... Battier would have been awesome to have on board now.....

Hell, Scola would have been awesome to have on board now... :grin:

18. yummyhawtsauce

Pretty sure Tjones and Bev have that crazy look in their eyes lol. Give them time. I think Lin could be a leader. He communicated a lot to players on the floor last night.

19. iLookOK

iLookOK Member

Tim Olbrecht

20. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

The first to be traded every year.