1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets even interested in Scoot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, May 22, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why do you assume criticism is "hate"?

He's just another underperforming young player who has an idea that they are a star despite not performing at that level.

2. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

Why would the Magic do that? They were selecting first, could take anyone

mikenm268, Arnel and mario_v like this.
  3. riko

riko Member

Max struss
    Austin Reaves
    Josh hart
    Bruce die hard brown

these are the guys stone should be targeting. Hart loves the Knicks and is tight with Brunson so it’ll be hard to get him. Brown probably will stay in Denver with a team that will be a contender for the next few years.

struss is a solid two way player who can help the kids and play in Udokas system. Miami will struggle to pay him and Vincent so I suspect they will keep Gabe Vincent. He is a realistic option. Reaves is going to cost stone because he is restricted and the lakers will match most realistically doable offer’s unless you go outlandishly high

#23 riko, May 23, 2023
    Last edited: May 23, 2023
    Y2JT likes this.
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I’m gonna assume that yeah they are.

Rashmon likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It was more that the stocks of Jabari and Chet somehow fell close to the draft due to various reasons.

And the Magic wanted someone who could handle the ball but not get injured easily.

The Jabari thing is still somewhat a confounding mystery, dude had elemental flaws but was seen as No 1.

NBA scouting is average at best, never really trust them if you know prospects yourself.

Arnel and MadMax like this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

At the end of the day, most teams near the top of the draft are going to pick for upside, and when you get exceptions to that rule it's usually either a team that feels they're ready to be a contender (Sacramento taking Keegan Murray) or it's a team that just has a bad front office that doesn't trust its player development staff, possibly for good reason (which is why you may see Charlotte pick Brandon Miller).

Jabari fell because Banchero and Holmgren have more superstar potential. It's that simple.

Arnel likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I still doubt it, other than generational talents like LBJ, Zion, Wemby.

Teams I feel are more down to earth than fans and go for All Star caliber starters as well.

Superstar terms are not tangible, it's a fantasy word, not something you just get at Number 1 even automatically.

The NBA is a hierarchy, only the Top players are superstars otherwise you would desecrate the meaning of a superstar.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I still doubt it, other than generational talents like LBJ, Zion, Wemby.

Teams I feel are more down to earth than fans and go for All Star caliber starters as well.

Superstar terms are not tangible, it's a fantasy word, not something you just get at Number 1 even automatically.

I also observed that people are more patient with international stars than their own homegrown.

Everyone can't be a Top 5 player otherwise the term superstar is being desecrated.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't get it. Why would there by any indication? Even if there's some leak into the media you don't know if it's made up by the journalist, a smokescreen or the truth. We won't know anything. I get that people like to play the game of picking which public info is the truth but if you're looking for an actual indication of the truth we're not going to get it or recognize it.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It wasn't a smokescreen - the articles published after the fact made it seem more like a legitimate change of plan in the last few days (also, the reporting by the Draft Industrial Complex got too out in front of the reality)

Orlando wasn't trading the pick, they were drafting first - there was no smokescreen necessary.

RocketsTerps and Arnel like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe the whole Harden thing was a smokescreen to hide their interest in Henderson. ;)

12. cml750

cml750 Member

@fchowd0311

BamBam and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Enraged. Triggered.

Nook, don grahamleone and cml750 like this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I do believe that Stone wants Scoot Henderson on the Houston Rockets. He knows it's a very tall order to climb to the 2nd spot. Charlotte might make a deal. I don't think Portland will make one with the Rockets. A three way deal will be hard too.

JusBleezy likes this.
  15. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think most teams prefer size and versatility over a gleague 6’2 point guard who has suspect shooting in a league where most guard are getting taller and taller

Arnel and Stephen_A like this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

That doesn’t even make any sense. You’re trading a guy that has proven he can score and put up 20 ppg and constantly growing in his second year in this league for a guy that has yet to play one game in the NBA. So essentially you are betting on potential and hope.

BelgianRocketsFan and saleem like this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Scoot has a very good mid range jumper. DeRozan became a successful player without developing one until late in his career. Amen can't shoot a lick with his poor shot mechanics. Scoot's 3 point shot is not broken and he doesn't have to only rely on dunks and layups.

Stephen_A likes this.
  18. mightybosstone

Same. If it's Green + No. 4 for No. 2, I immediately hang up the phone. I think Scoot is a better prospect long-term, but not that much better. It's a moot point, though; I seriously doubt JG is going anywhere this offseason.

Plowman likes this.
  19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Scoot projects to be just fine as a shooter. I'd even say I expect him to eventually be above average in that regard. He's also got a very long wingspan and is strong as hell, so I think he'll be fine defensively. Probably not extremely switchable and high-impact on that end like Amen could be, but not a liability either.

He's definitely a much safer pick than Amen and he could be a serious contributor even during his rookie season. Two years in G-League is great preparation for the big leagues.

I like Amen as well, and I'd take him if Scoot is off the board and we can't trade up, but he will definitely take more time to adjust.

Giving Scoot serious minutes as a rookie to run the team and develop would be a lot easier of a pill to swallow. I wouldn't even bother signing a point guard if they move up to get him, that's how high my confidence level is in Henderson.

Bo6 and JusBleezy like this.
  20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

That’s key. Players need more than just explosive ability. Fox and Morant can’t really shoot anything beyond 19 ft but they have that mid range game and l0 ft floaters. Scoot may never shoot 3s but if he can have a consistent pull up mid range jumper and get to the paint he could have a good career.

BaselineFade and saleem like this.