1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets even interested in Scoot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, May 22, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

If you ask 10 random guys whose professional careers are based around evaluating young basketball players, I'll bet you at least 9 of them would say KPJ has nowhere near the talent of Scoot Henderson. That's why he was picked 30th and Scoot will be picked in the top 3. And I'll take their opinions over yours DD. You don't exactly have a great track record with these things :p

Kobe wasn't that good until at least year 3 either! Have a little patience.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have an excellent track record of evaluating talent, I miss a couple but people only remember those....and a narrative forms which is based on a web of lies......

And Scoot Porter was drafted 30th because of his problems in college he was and is a lottery level talent.....Henderson will be a good player in 3 years....we are trying to win now......he isn't good enough to come in and beat out even Christopher at this point.

That is true, but we aren't waiting for 3 years, we are starting to contend now, ask Tillman - his agenda is the one that is driving the bus, not yours or mine.

DD

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Give them what they want! If they want Jalen Green they can have him. If they want sengun, so be it. Scoot is a franchise changer. If anyone is bonkers enough to let him go then we need to capatalize!

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

We are trying to win with what? 2nd year Jabari? A sg who still makes questionable shots and has mediocre at best ball handling and limited on defense with his Trex wingspan? Our pg who has a temprement issue and has yet to prove he can be reliable?
    Scoot is 6'2 with a 6'9 wingspan. He has amazing ball handling and gets the hole at ease. He also has insane court vision. His floor at the very least is Rajon Rondo but is currently. Eing compared to Ja Morant and Derrick Rose. He's not being compared to the bradley beals and zach lavines like Green is. If Scoot's passing is as advertised he will literally have the ability to make the game easier for anyone on the floor with him.

Corpusfan, OremLK and saleem like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. TimDuncanDonaut

This is sad.

Henderson only working out for two teams. And Rockets seemingly happy with a certain player on the current roster, and just take whomever is left over at 4th, is lazy GMing.

Maybe Tilman will have a different opinion from Stone and Patrick, because right now the FO's lassiez faire approach is not very hopeful at all.

Deckard likes this.
  7. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Rockets is not crazy about a 6’2 point guard, but a ultra athletic point guard who will need to start on the bench his first year while having Harden to start for us this year. They do not want Scoot, they want Harden and Amen waiting in the wings…Amen has talent

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Rockets MGMT think they're signing Harden.

Of course they think lots of things will happen and they're wrong most of the time so far.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I remain confounded why people think that the Rockets can just easily trade up for Scoot as if Portland or Charlotte aren't going to take him themselves, which is far and away the likeliest scenario.

I'm not a Stone or Tilman fan but it's not lazy GM'ing to not win the lottery. Ridiculous criticism to assume that because a very unlikely trade doesn't actually materialize, the Rockets messed up the draft.

10. mightybosstone

This. We don't even know whether Charlotte or Portland have any desire to trade out of the pick, much less back 1-2 spots with Houston. And even if they did, we have no clue what it would it cost or whether it would make sense. On top of that, the front office could view Amen or others as not that far off of Scoot or Miller as prospects. Plus, who's to say they haven't contacted Portland and Charlotte?

To call it "lazy" when we have no clue any of the factors above is just being a "lazy" fan, IMO.

Corpusfan likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I like this new quiet approach. We sounded desperate before with Cade and Banchero and that led us nowhere.

12. TimDuncanDonaut

Never said it's easy to trade up. One of the reasons we're having problems to trade up is because Stone didn't position ourselves well enough (last three years) to have pieces that other teams want.

The easiest thing to do (was to do nothing or do it too late). Gordon, Wood, ... etc

13. SamFisher

It's not lazy GM ing to not win the lottery but if they miss on Harden we're looking at the 3rd straight season without a true NBA caliber PG/lead guard/offensive orchestrator or even a credible backup.

That's inexcusable if it happens.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

You don't think they'll go out and get somebody via trade or free agency if they miss on Harden?

15. i3artow i3aller

16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Amen more like Penny Hardaway, Amen shooting needs work, with new shooting coach.

17. SamFisher

They went into last season with Daishen Nix and stayed that way.

The previous season they had John Wall under contract and made him stay home.

The track record is what it is.

18. Ancient Moabite

I admire your desire to obtain Henderson at all costs, but don't forget even MVP Rose didn't make a Finals trip, so him and Morant/Beal/Lavine all have a total of zero Finals on their resume

Only hope is that the Booker comparison comes to fruition and Henderson becomes CP3, because I would imagine they would want to add Scoot to their young group, which if Charlotte decides to take Miller then going from 4 to 3 should be much easier to trade up while not giving up much too damaging

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

I mean, they were intentionally tanking for a high draft pick, and they've been very clear that they're not doing that anymore. They've signaled a clear change in direction. So do you just not believe what they've said and think they're going to continue to tank, or they'll simply fail to get anybody, or... what?

Corpusfan likes this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

Harden, FVv, there's candidates out there, but we likely have to eat an overpay. Those free agents will also ask for longer deals.

The tricky thing is also balancing that overpay against stricter luxury tax rules while still making room if desire to extend Green and Sengun (which will be soon).

Is Stone (who loves his value contracts), charming enough to get Harden to take a home discount. Is he ballsy enough to say no to Green's agent by not offering a maximum / near max rookie extend eligible amount.

#200 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2023