1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets better without Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KingCheetah, Mar 31, 2013.

1. TheJet

TheJet Member

You answered your own question. There were plenty of Michael Jordan haters in his day but there was zero question about his talent level. We're seeing Jordan level adoration from some fans that's not proportional with realistic talent level. And the unfair (from their view) treatment of that player has to be killing those fans. I have trouble faulting them for their passion and admiration but I've found it's impossible to argue with them.

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

About as logical as your irrelevant and obnoxious cringe-inducing memes and images.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't know? Maybe because those two players are HOF players?

It's like If I was a JR Smith Only fan. Lin and Smith are on about the same level (In terms of accoplishments and consistancy)

4. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't just that... there is a paranoia that EVERYONE is conspiring to sabotage Jeremy Lin... to the extreme that it is completely impossible.

There have been a number of posters that have stated that the Rockets coaches and players and the front office want to sabotage Lin. It makes no sense, they would not have fought so hard to sign him if that were the case.

There also seems to be this irrational hatred of James Harden because he is a better player than Lin, that Harden some how has kept Lin from turning into Linsanity.

Then there is the issues with McHale. No matter what, a sizable amount of posters believe that McHale sabotages Lin. If he sits out in the 4th quarter then McHale hates him... and now some of the same posters said that Lin is disrespected by playing garbage time in the 4th quarter.

Lost in ALL of this garbage is that Lin has had a solid season and has improved as the season has gone on.... agg/rox and some other posters didnt think he could do it, but Lin is becoming a SOLID 3 point shooter and is more comfortable on the team.

5. Fighton

Fighton Member

agree, but why does that matter? why does it bother people so much? why argue with them if 1) what they think has no effect on the actual play of the team, and 2) they don't make any sense so why waste your time?

i'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the argument that some hates lin ONLY because of some (probably a minority) of his fanatics. that doesn't make an ounce of sense to me whatsoever. that's like saying i would deprive myself of in-n-out burgers because they have some crazy followings, even though it's a good burger?? how does that make any sense at all?

6. Nook

Nook Member

I don't hate Lin, in fact I have defended his performance as the season has progressed and believe he is a lot closer to being a really good player than people think.

Having said that, I will tell you that it gets very tiring to go to the GARM or online and see BS over and over and over again. So people get sick of it, and start to hate everything around the player. I don't look at it like that, Lin did not ask for the 24/7 coverage, he is just a guy trying to play basketball.

I compare the whole situation to the Tim Tebow love affair (Lin is the better player), but both have a sizable amount of fans that are irrational.

Not all fans of Lin are insane.... there are some very good ones on here, but you have to cut through so much garbage. Some of the anti Lin stuff is just flatout trolling in response to EVERYTHING being about Lin.

7. TheJet

TheJet Member

It's funny that you bring up In and Out. A few of us in my office have been out west a few times and rave about that place. I absolutely adore it and eat there WAY too much when I'm out there. That being said, one of our guys here tried it for the first time at the new Dallas location. He wasn't impressed. He prefers Whataburger. Part of his rationale was, "You guys don't ever shut up about that **** and I was so tired of hearing it I probably was already jaded before I tried it". Also, "It never would have lived up to that level of hype". It's all about expectations. Linsanity set the bar entirely too high IMO.

8. TheJet

TheJet Member

You explained that better than I did. I absolutely agree.

9. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

If the question is:
    Are the Rockets better without Harden?

Why people keep comparing Lin and Harden?

Should just change the thread to:
    Is Lin better than Harden?

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Lin is really just overhyped, which raised expectations to implausible standards.

Other than that he is a good player getting better.

11. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

heheh they are relevent....very relevant...it' just that some people arent aware how...yet they can become aware any moment now...can they not?

12. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well said. I think Lin is having a really solid season, and has the potential to be an above average point guard.

His fans tend to be obnoxious. What's funny is that the obnoxiousness is taking away from that in the public perception.

13. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Wondering if you may want to utilize the "ignore list" function to filter those obnoxious Lin fans or trolls and flip over those postings and hopefully that may give you a little bit peace of mind, just saying. :)

14. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

This has anything to do with skill set. I am a huge Lin fan despite realizing he is not an all star. So what? His background, his story transcends just being a fan based on pure other wordly talent like Lebron. He is what Tebow is for his fans, except Lin has actually proven to be a more than competent NBA PG. Anyway, as we all just saw the responses to my posts, it pisses people off to no end, and likely the Rockets coaches who are constantly asked about Lin.

15. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

3:1 odds that this idiot talking about being an artist, posting stolen memes, and suggesting bringing James off the bench is Royce White. Even the pseudo-intellectualism is there (talking in ridiculous overarching platitudes that don't apply).

16. Fighton

Fighton Member

i hear ya, and i'm not talking specifically about you. but i do see many posts by people that want lin off the team simply because of his fanatics. THAT i don't understand.

anyway, yeah it gets tiring seeing it. as tiring as seeing one-liner posts intended solely to bait lin fanatics. anyway, do like i do and just put people on ignore and you won't see them again. and really, there's only a handful of posters when it comes down to it. they just post a lot.

17. Fighton

Fighton Member

hahaha eatin' an in-n-out as we speak and.. yeah exactly how i felt about shake shack in nyc but back to bball...

you're absolutely right about expectations being way out of whack because of linsanity, and main reason why mchale kept down-playing it throughout this season. but still no reason to hate on the dude.. he's just playing ball.

18. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Very few people hate Lin. Its a natural reaction to the glut of stupid nonsense posts that clog up the GARM by the "bad" LOF's. As i said before being a LOF is no big deal, as long as the posts reflect a reasoned rational crituque. And most Lin fans fall into this category "good LOF". But since there are SO MANY lin fans it feels like the "bad" LOF's is the majority instead of the minority, which i suspect is not the case.

19. muas2010

muas2010 Member

A reason, but not THE reason is what I'm trying to say. If you truly look at it, Asik probably has a bigger impact in terms of the win column than anyone on this team. You can't compare Harden with Kobe and Melo...at least not yet as those guys have accomplished what Harden has this year every year of their career. Even MJ only started to win rings when Pippen, Rodman, and other key players started showing up. It's a team sport so you can switch Harden or Lin or Asik out and have a comparable player and you'll still be good. I know it's tough for people to see MJ, Kobe, or Lebron and don't understand that it's more than that player for winning. Pippen and Rodman were huge for Michael....Shaq and Paul were huge for Kobe....and damn don't forget about Wade and Bosch for Lebron.

20. QuaDouble

QuaDouble Member

I blame much of that on Melo. The straw man caricature of Harden I see thrown around often resembles the real situation of Lin with Carmelo Anthony last year. The fact that Harden is a much more generous teammate despite being just as good doesn't seem to register.