1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets a better team without Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 16, 2024.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Remember, the Rockets are down 3 players out of their top 7 players; Tari, Cam and Sengun, so any victories should be looked at, as positive

Stephen_A and harold bingo like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

They aren't better, but they ARE different.

DD

3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I HOPE THIS IS NOT TRUE.....But I'm starting to think the SOFs wish were losing, rather than winning w/o Sengun.

Stephen_A likes this.
  4. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

Nope.

REEKO_HTOWN and tycoonchip like this.
  5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets started the season very well with Cam in the G-League. They brought him up and turned less than good. Cam's season ended the same time as Sengun's, and they are suddenly good again. IDIOT

6. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Nah Roosh needs to give himself pointers on how to create a better lie about Jalen

7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I'm glad we won, I'm just stating that anyone who thinks we are playing better without Sengun is delusional because of who we played.

albuster, cmoak1982 and rcketsfan1 like this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We need to go back to completely ignoring Roosh .... he's an idiot.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The only people who want Alpi traded are the Sengun Only Fans and the Sengun Only Haters.

Looking at how idiotic the Sengun Only Haters are, I can't even blame the Sengun Only Fans for wanting their guy to be on a team that has a more appreciative fan base.

But real Rockets fans want the Rockets to keep their franchise player, Alperen Sengun.

BamBam, cml750, arno_ed and 7 others like this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sengun on the Knicks would be like Linsanity part two.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not necessarily.

Sengun doesn't have anything at all to do with Jalen shooting .274 on open / uncontested 3 point shots this season.

The difference for Jalen over the last ~8 games is he's making those same shots at a high rate.
    He's only had 2 really poor shooting nights in the last 10 games 1 for 6 against Sacramento and 1 for 10 against the Wemby's.

When Jalen's shot is falling he's as good as any, it's that it so often doesn't that's the problem. In the 10 games prior to the above 10 - he had 8 games of .250 or worse from distance.

Here's the game logs, see for yourself - Jalen Green 2023-24 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

BamBam likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This information is false. Jalen shoots 37.4% on 3PT shots that are 4-6 feet open - these are your standard open shots. He takes more of these per game than any other type of 3 (3.5 attempts).

On 3PT shots that are 6+ feet open he's making 31%. Those includes those shots he takes too far from the 3pt line with no one on him and also end of clock heaves, so these don't necessarily constitute the easiest 3PT shots in his profile. He has to cut down on these tremendously - this is not poor shooting, these are just poor choices. He takes 2.5 of these per game.

From the corners he's shooting almost 40% and we really neglected to take advantage of him here when FVV/Sengun were spamming their PnR - that would have made a lot more sense for us and improved Green's efficiency too. On tight and very tightly guarded 3pt shots, he's atrocious in the mid 20's. On stepback jumpers 36% and stepback 3pters 33% > he needs to stop taking these till next season.

Also, the choice of a C has a LOT to do with Jalen's shooting. When there is space and pace in the offense, he's a huge threat to attack the basket. That makes defenders give him more space on his 3pt shots, which obviously would improve his 3PT efficiency. When your paint is so crowded that the opponent is inviting you into it, that's obviously going to let them closeout and bother your 3PT shot more often.

Please link us to what you interpreted to mean Jalen shoots 27.4% on open 3pters.

Philip K. Nick and GOATuve like this.
  13. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

This is absurd. Obviously the offense is different but the team will still go through Alpi. Adjustments can be made all around. Part of building a young team

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Probably not better long term, but without Sengun both their offense and defensive schemes are different. Most of the year, opposing teams have been focusing their game plan around Sengun, so without him, the Rockets are harder to game plan against in the short term. Teams will eventually adjust and normalize it.

cml750, daywalker02 and abyss like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

16. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Sengun vs Wemby H2H (3 games this season).
    Sengun avg 28pts/13rebs/4.7 assists
    Wemby avg 15pts/13.7rebs/2.3 assists

Sengun is clearly right up there with Wemby.

17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Uh, NO! Basketball is a TEAM SPORT, not an individual sport. Just because Alpi's numbers were better than Wemby's, doesn't make them on the same level.

Im not blowing Wemby up, because Im not nor will I ever be PRO - SPUR but the dude is a modern day Ralph Sampson in the right era.Ralph was way ahead of his time.

Wemby can guard ANYBODY, he is a defensive nightmare, plus he does things offensively that are insane. I hate it but I'm in awe and he's only 20 yrs old. Both players have been playing professionally since their mid teens but Alpi has benefited because he has always played the center position. Wemby has been positionless, playing the 3,4 and 5. Im curious to see what's the Spur's plan moving forward with him.

But I just don't thinknyou can compare the two, I don't think a NBA GM would either.

18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I know one guy he can't guard :)

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Since he can't guard him, would you trade Sengun for Wemby?

20. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm just teasing you. Sengun was on a mission that game and Wemby is a 20 year old rookie who weighs 160 lbs. Yeah, I would trade Sengun for Wemby in a heartbeat and so would every GM in the league. They aren't in the same stratosphere in trade value.

Plowman likes this.