1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Phoenix Suns falling apart?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nolocke, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Don't know if anyone else watched part of the Suns vs. Nets game but some things really caught my eye. Its obvious that Stoudemire is frustrated not only with the direction the team is going but with Shaq clogging the lane and the new head coach. Nash sometimes also looks to be running faster then the rest of the team and sometimes doesn't look like he knows what to do next. This team looks like its in much worse shape then the Rockets, especially since all their players are healthy and playing together. They have no chemistry anymore it seems.

Tonight Stoudemire got ejected after his second technical and he almost looked lost after the altercation with a few Nets players that resulted in one of the Techs. After the game Nash looked like he was going to kill someone.
    After several different interviews it is very clear who is sick of this new direction the Suns are going down. Heres one of those articles at espn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=smith_stephen&page=Stoudemire-081128

I really think its something Morey should look into because I think the Rockets could steal someone away from the Suns if they think they are getting gold in return. That team looks worse and worse each time I see them play and they need defense more then we need offense. This is just a suggestion and if anyone has any other input either negative or positive I'd love to hear it.

2. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Yeah we should get Nash out of there before he gets hurt. Maybe we can send Rafer to keep order in the locker room with his toughness. ;)

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The player discontent is sort of old news. Nash, Amare, Hill and Bell have all publicly grumbled in one way or another. It's been discussed here recently. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=158406

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They need to play Barbosa more.........

That guy is awesome, I do not know what Porters infatuation with Raja Bell is.........

Leandro is a 20 point per game guy easily if he just gets a mere 30 mins of PT.......

5. Jaee

Jaee Member

Ha! Him and Matt Barnes can be locker buddies :p

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

McGrady, Alston, Head for Nash, Bell, Diaw.

Get it done.

7. 1individual

1individual Member

Nooo way. Nash is on the decline. No more of a PG he used to be. Bell and Diaw will shoot worse than McGrady. Think about Phoenix...

McGrady,
    Alston,
    Shaq,
    Amare..

:eek:

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Not quite an eek... But I still would rather have Tmac and Alston over Nash Bell and Diaw

9. ClutchCityReturns

Not that I was actually serious about my post, but you should probably look at the players I mentioned before expressing such a negative view of it.

Raja Bell
    44.2% FG
    48.1% 3pt

Boris Diaw
    56.9% FG
    33.3% 3pt (irrelevant...just over 1/2 an attempt per game)

On top of that...

Steve Nash
    51.2% FG
    43.6% 3pt

Combined, they're shooting 50.2% from the field (219 of 436). They also average a combined 33.7 points. Compare that to a combined 32.3 points on 38.6% shooting for the Rockets players in question, and I fail to see any evidence to back up your point about shooting. In regards to Nash being in decline, he is (though it's not helped by the new system), but I'd still rather have him than McGrady (who is also past his prime).

#9 ClutchCityReturns, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Holy crap, I didn't realize they were all shooting that well. Nice numbers.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

shawn marion, the guy is severly underrated

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, Diaw would be wasted in the trade because where would he play. We have some pretty good fowards in Shane, Artest, Scola, and landry?

But why stop there anyway... How about Shaq and Grant Hill for Chuck and Yao.

Shaq
    60% fg%

Grant Hill
    46% fg%

They combine for 23 points a game while Yao and Chuck shoot 51% and 35% respectively and combine for 19.4 points a game. Yea, i'm mocking you but i'm not trying to be disrespectful. I'm just trying to point out how little the numbers really are to a players' true worth. I understand you were trying to make a point about their shooting but i wouldn't agree with that trade and i would like to encourage posters to do more than throw out shooting percentage to support their trade ideas. Its more entertaining (atleast to me) to see people discuss what players do or could do on the court rather than just rattle off percentages.

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

misplaced punctuation marks

14. ClutchCityReturns

You'll notice that I didn't "rattle off percentages" until someone specifically questioned those percentages. If you think that I'm the type of fan to base player effectiveness solely on statistics, then you are mistaken.

As for Diaw, you should know that he can pretty much play anywhere, depending on match ups, from the 2 to the 5. His versatility, especially as a passer from the high post, would be perfect for Adelman's proposed offense.

15. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

I'm glad someone else agree's with me on this.

16. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Oh yeah.. like McGrady isn't on the decline. :rolleyes:

I would be dancing in the streets if we got Nash/Diaw for McGrady/Head/Alston. In fact, I would throw a toga party.

17. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

I would take this, although I would miss Tmac and I think he's a decent guy the Rockets would be stupid not to take that deal. You would get rid of an injury prone star in Tmac, a subpar PG who should be a back up in Rafer, and the last man on the bench in Head. Pretty much we would be getting rid of 2 of our garbage players just to wash our hands of tmac and make the deal. I wouldn't even think twice about making that happen though.

18. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

I think almost everyone that's a Rockets fan would be dancing in the streets if that happened. I think I would use Diaw as trade bait though, maybe see how he works with our team and then either keep or trade. Nash and Bell are keepers though, and both are clutch. Clutch City would have officially returned to Houston.

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I see your reasoning. I just think he's at his best while playing the 3 or 4 (positions where we are pretty strong), the positions where his suns style defense is least likely to be exposed. If he plays at the 2 the spacing is poor and if he plays at the 5 we're watching layup drills all night.

I like him though, he has great post skills, he's one of the few player i like to watch on their team. One of the guys that aren't affected so much by playing in a specific system or with specific players. I liked Marion and Johnson too but their gone.

20. lalala902102001

The Suns are done. Stick a fork in them.

Their window closed two years ago when Nash started to decline.