1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Jaguars Really This Dumb???

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Sen89, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Seriously, are they really going to stick with Blaine Gabbert for ANOTHER year???

So far, Blaine Gabbert is 5-19 as the starting QB and they've passed up on Geno Smith and Matt Barkley MULTIPLE times.

Any idea what they are cooking up in that front office?

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good for them. I don't think there are any franchise QBs in this draft. Maybe Geno Smith is the closest but I understand not wanting to take that risk. Why compound a QB mistake with another possible mistake?

Let Henne & Gabbert battle it out. Barkley or whoever is not the difference between them being good and not.

That's what I like about this draft, teams aren't reaching for these QBs. Gabbert & Locker & Ponder had no business going in the top 12.

3. plates300

plates300 Member

Agreed. There is no Luck or RG III in this draft. Getting another rookie QB and throwing him out there is a lateral move at best (I consider all the QBs of this draft projects). They did the best thing possible - get O-line help and build at the skill positions. This way, if Gabbert doesn't pan out, they have all the skill positions covered.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

They are tanking.

5. Sen89

Sen89 Member

All I know is that if I am looking at the perspective of a Jaguars fan's point of view, I would be so upset that the Jags front office hasn't done anything about its QB situation.

It is completely safe to say that neither Gabbert nor Henne are Peyton or Brady so make a move. Also, with a new logo, jerseys and coaching staff, you would think they would be ready for sweeping changes...

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
    JaMarcus anyone?
    [​IMG]

6. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

The jags have really impressed me this draft. Their new regime is doing well and they're building for the future. I expect them to have a horrible season, get a top 3 pick, and draft Manziel or Bridgewater next year.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The Jags have had a very good draft so far. Added players who can step in and contribute now and down the line for the future. Why would you draft an average quarterback when you can get a great one in the future?

8. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

They did pick up Matt Scott and Jordan Rodgers as UDFA. Pretty good value, no? :p

10. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Eh, as a Texans fan I enjoy laughing at them.

11. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Tanking to enter the Johnny Football sweepstakes

[​IMG]

12. TISNF

TISNF Member

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Dallas is tanking better.

The Cowboys took a 5th round talent at a non premium position in the first round.

14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Here is the thing. The Jagurars basically have holes at EVERY position other than WR this year especially after they let all their "best" players go in free agency.

In other words, even if the Jaguars got a hall-of-fame QB they would still only win 2-4 games or something. But guess what, none of the QB's in this draft or in free agency looked like a potential franchise QB. So, they didn't draft one. Not to mention the pressure that guy would have had coming this year would have been enormous so it would looked like he failed after what Luck, RGIII, and Wilson did last year.

The Jags are a 2-3 year rebuild project at least. Think Texans when Kubiak was HIRED.

Essentially, on offense the Jags are now have some half decent pass blocking tackles, some guys with speed on at WR/RB/TE and will get the ball out of Gabbert's hands as quickly as possible. If MJD is healthy after his Lisfranc fracture, that may make this offense servicable.

The key for this offensive is that is was 29th/32 NFL team in 1st down percentage on any down and yardage of 3 yards or less last year. THAT has to change, and that is not a passing issue. That is a blocking/rushing issue.

The biggest problem with the Jaguars draft was not finding a replacement QB. It was not getting more depth and talent at DE/LEO/Blitzing LB. The Jags will be playing a Seattle-like stile front-7 with lots of leaving CB's on islands which is sort of how Texans have played under Phillips.

Thing is they tried it last year and were horrible at it because the scheme was too simple; the players didn't have the athleticism, strength, or stamina to hit win 1-on-1 battles up front for a full game especially since the offense could not stay on the field; and then they started to try to cheat instead of play their responsibilities resulting in big plays.

15. Angle02

Angle02 Member

LOL... He wasn't a 5th round talent. Most teams had him ranked between 20-40 and averaged out at a high 2nd round grade. The Ravens and the Lions were thinking hard about taking him with the next picks.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Would love to hear where you heard this information...

17. Angle02

Angle02 Member

Just different things I've collected from online radio to various tweets. It's all speculation but it's still absurd to call him a 5th round talent when he clearly wasn't. Prisco had him going to the Colts in the first round btw. Others dropped him in the 50's range because of a slow 40 time. Centers and Guards dont have to have a fast 40 in succeed today. His other drills were just as good if not better than most of the OL in the draft. But I understand that bashing the Cowboys is "the thing to do here".

The Jags did have a good draft and there was no reason to take Geno, Barkley, or Nassib. Much better QB's in next years draft as someone already mentioned.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I take it you're a Cowboys fan...

I don't hate the Cowboys, not a fan either. Fairly unbiased opinion here, and I agree that he wasn't a 5th round talent, but he certainly wasn't a first round talent either.

Fact of the matter is...the Cowboys reached for a 2nd-3rd round prospect at a non-premium position. It would have been much more sensible for them to take somebody like Johnathan Cyprien from FIU or somebody like Kawann Short or Tank Carradine to help enhance their D Line for their new 4-3 defense.

It wasn't a terrible pick, but it certainly wasn't a good pick, so I wouldn't take it as bashing the Cowboys for the sake of bashing the Cowboys. It just wasn't a good value-based selection.

19. Angle02

Angle02 Member

I am a Cowboys fan but I'm a fan of football in general. NFL and College thanks to fantasy football lol. I agree that he wasn't a first round talent but so did the Cowboys. They said that they had him as a high 2nd round grade and there wasn't anyone left on the board at 31 that had a first round grade (only about 20 players ranked 1st round grade; weak top of the draft but stacked in the mid rounds). He played center his senior year after playing guard his entire career. Just a tidbit, he was the first freshman to start on the OL at Wisconsin. OL was our weakest position last year and we addressed it early. I wish they would have taken another and a DL early but we stuck to our draft board and took BPA which showed true in the later rounds. I'm honestly glad they did that because we left so much talent there in the past drafts by drafting on need. Kiffin felt our DL was in good shape, maybe sign one or two after June 1st cuts, and wanted a safety and linebacker.
    I would have liked to have drafted Short and could have possibly been a 2nd round target but I think they liked the TE Escobar better. (Rumored the Dolphins had him targeted later in the 2nd). As far as Carradine I remember reading some teams took him off their board in the first few rounds because of his ACL injury. I would have really liked to have drafted Cyprien at 31 and was really hoping he fell on day 2. Wishful thinking obviously.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

"Are the Jaguars really this dumb?"

No, they're dumber...

[​IMG]

Just give it a few weeks...