1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Are the Astros going to the world series?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Air Langhi, Sep 30, 2020.

?

Are we getting to ws?

1. Yes

60 vote(s)
    60.6%
  2. NO

39 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The Athletics will not run out fiers against us.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If the series goes 5 games (in 5 days), you'd think he would have to pitch sometime, either starting or relieving.

RayRay10, Nook and Astrodome like this.
  3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

We gotta start mashing. We have the horses. Do they have the desire?

arkoe, everyday eddie and RayRay10 like this.
  4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Your posts belong in those trashcans

5. HTown2017Champs

They'll save him to start Game 5, thus, excusing his absence in 1-4, and just hope there is no Game 5. If there is, he'll fake an injury, or positive COVID test, or something. No other possibility. I'm not buying that "it's just a coincidence" that his turn in the rotation was missed all three times we faced them.

6. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Liked for consistency

everyday eddie, RayRay10 and TWS1986 like this.
  7. Major

Major Member

Can't do that anymore this year because there are no off days. Next round will be 5 games in 5 days, meaning you need all your starters.

8. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I hadn't broken it out in a little while with the all caps haha. ;)

Rock Block and RayRay10 like this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just think a few days ago people were wondering if this team was going to get swept..

I loved the last two days and would love to see all the handwringing of the rest of MLB and the sports media. I'm still expecting to hear people claiming the Stros are cheating on the road in the bubble..

All of that said realistically I don't think we have enough talent left on this team to get to the WS. The Twins are a very good team but clearly a team that just wasn't mentally tough enough. I'm not sure we can count on other teams to implode like that.

raining threes, RayRay10 and TWS1986 like this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Curious to see what their current odds are. Rays should be the overwhelming favorite to come out of the AL... and I'd expect heavy money on the Yankees after what they've shown the last two days, but not sure if that would be enough to overtake Houston's odds.

Any team can beat any team 3 out of 5 games... and 4 out of 7 games.

Its amazing how baseball media glorifies teams, and ***** on teams, due to small sample playoff performances. The Astros definitely deserve credit for showcasing some elite pitching over 2 games... and the Twins bats were MIA for 2 games... but it was just two games. Over the course of a season, all teams (even the greatest teams ever) have poor stretches.

In the end, you can either treat the playoffs like a completely different sport... where one game performances and historical playoff performances mean everything... or you accept the variance/randomness for what it is.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's certainly possible. Look at what the Nats did last year. If I'm putting money on what AL team gets to the WS as much as I love the Stros I'm not going to bet on them.

That might change if they look as dominating next series as they did this series but for how well the Stros played the Twins played as poorly.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

14. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure wish we could bring in Beltran to consult before the ALDS on tendencies, tipping, and batting adjustments. Tuve and Yuli (and Carlos) could use some sage guidance to hopefully snap out of their funks.

everyday eddie and RayRay10 like this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Personally, I hope Correa continues his current "funk" throughout the playoffs. :)

.500/.750/.500/1.250

16. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely showed flashes in Arlington. Hitting the ball hard the other way is another great indicator that he's seeing the ball well. He seems like someone who would thrive off of playing the proverbial heel in the sense that any attention is good attention. Altuve seems to play off of the adoration and so this year has probably been a mental and emotional grind (especially since he didn't partake in the banging scheme per reports). Carlos, hopefully, gets a big boost playing in Dodger Stadium as part of his personal "FU" tour.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Tandem pitching of Greinke, Urquidy, and McCullers as the starters with Valdez and Javier ready to throw 3-4 innings in 2 of those games could be extremely effective. But there’s almost no chance they get through this long playoff gauntlet unless the offense gets going full steam. Altuve and Gurriel have been awful this year. I’d like to see this be the playoff lineup:

CF Springer
    LF Brantley
    3B Bregman
    RF Tucker
    SS Correa
    1B Gurriel
    2B Altuve
    DH Diaz
    C Maldonado

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If the 2006 Cardinals can win it all after winning only 83 games in the regular season I'd say "why the hell not?"

raining threes likes this.
  19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Id switch Bregman and Brantley, but yes, dusty needs to switch things up.

20. Buck Turgidson

If they win 7 more games...yes.

If not, no.

raining threes likes this.