1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are people who don't buy HDTVs cheap skates?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Sep 13, 2006.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know several people who have:
    fancy Cantoni furniture
    xbox360
    fancy cars

who still DONT have HDTVs.

they enjoy the same thing we do, sports, movies, video games, yet they still convince themselves that its not worth getting a high def set.

considering the xbox360 is designed for 5.1 sound systems and HDTV widescreens, its a total waste of money playing it on a regular tv with tv speakers.

considering $1000 coffee tables that do nothing but sit on the floor. a $2000 flat panel is more fashionable.

maybe i'm extreme, but these people are holding us back as human beings.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

My parents haven't bought one because they don't watch much tv past the news. But then they don't have an expensive coffee table or a lot of expendable cash with one child in college and one freshly out. An HDTV and an XBox 360 are #1 on my list of stuff to buy when I find a job.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Yea, alot of people don't watch enough tv to warrant a purchase of an HDTV.

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Are you from Dallas?

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Just because a person doesn't care about high definition doesn't mean they don't want good game play. I could enjoy geometry wars just as much on a regular TV as I do on my HDTV. The HDTV does make games like Oblivion and GR:AW more enjoyable to me, but the game play is the same on a regular TV.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Are people who don't have Cable Cheap Skates?
    :rolleyes:

It is about Priorities . . . HDTV and Cable are just not the tops
    for some folx

If it came down to a XBox 360 or HDTV
    I'd get the 360

What is so Great about HDTV anyway?

Rocket River

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

1000 bucks coffee tables? for people like that I am sure 2000 HDTV is nothing at all, why not go for the 50" plasma?

8. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I built myself a 7 thousand dollar computer but I still have a SDTV. My computer equipment is really my only vice. I don't have a good hi-fi or any other electronic.
    Plus, I have a 36" Sony Wega XBR that I bought a 2 thousand dollar armoire for (only one that could fit it's 28" depth) and I don't know what I'd do with it if I bought a new TV.

9. Fatty FatBastard

I have several friends that own HDTV's. I can't see the freaking difference for the life of me. As technology stands, I'm not interested. When it gets better, I may be.

10. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

As long as 98% of programming isn't available in HD, I'm going to wait. (I made up the 98% figure, just an estimate) Drives me crazy watching football games, basketball games, or anything else for that matter, on HDTVs and looking at either ridiculously stretched out pictures or 6 inches of blank space on both sides of the TV. It's great when you actually get to see the game you want in HD, and the HD cameras/feeds don't suck, but that seems to be more the exception than the rule. Call me a cheapskate if you want. I've been called worse.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yes tinman you are extreme, as usual. ;) There is no "maybe" to it.

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

HDTV content is still in its infantcy.

1. Very few channel broadcast content at all.
    2. The ones that do only have a few primetime shows in Hi-def.
    3. AND probably 1/2 of the HDTV shows are recorded using standard def camera's so the quality looks like crap anyway.
    4. Considering 1-3 above, you have to pay Time Warner an extra $15/month OR you gotta set up an old style antenna on your roof.

HDTV still has some growing up to do. If you don't truely appreciate HDTV, it isn't worth it.

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm sorry that i'm holding you back since i'm not buying that Lincoln Navigator JUST BECAUSE i can afford it.

ok, i can't really afford one, but you get the point.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I know what you mean, tinman...

Just the othe day, I was driving my Ferrari F430 Spider around, and I saw some cheapass that was driving the regular F430 coupe! Can you believe that?? Pony up for the Spider, you uncultured Phillistine!! I bet these douchebags don't even eat Grey Poupon.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We bought one because our old Sony XBR finally pooped out after many years of service. It was an excellent TV. We already had a better one in our bedroom, so why "toss out," the XBR if it was still working fine? This became rather frustrating, after awhile, waiting for it to poop out so I could replace it. Finally, I took matters into my own hands. Beginning ancient pagan rituals, mostly running around naked in my backyard at 3am, flapping my arms, and singing The End, by the Doors, the thing crapped out.

Now I'm looking at a 42" 1080p HDTV display, instead. Give it a try!

16. tinman

Supporting Member

i'm specifically targeting people who DO WATCH alot of TV and have enough income to upgrade.
    they drive Beemers and have fancy furniture and eat at overpriced restaurants.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i bet they don't even have gold plated toilets either. i mean, who really still uses porcelein these days.

18. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Myself, Once I get the 800 dollars I want saved for a small LCD HDTV, I will be purchasing one. About 27-30 inches, probably no bigger than that. Something where I can play my PS3, BluRay/DVDs, and when I get my own place, not be so small that I can't use it for my living room. I'm sure 27 inches is plenty.

Anyway, I may skimp out right now on the BRAND that I'd be getting (Olevia/Insignia), but eventually I would plan on replacing that once 1080p becomes more of a common thing.

But yeah, by mid/late November, I plan on having a nice new HDTV to play my brand new PS3 on. :)

19. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

And who can do with out a Royal Penis Cleaner.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

but the whole point of x360 is its HDTV gaming! dont they upgrade video game systems every year so you can enjoy BETTER GRAPHICS??

This is the same reason you buy better computer monitors and not have GIGANTIC FONTS.

think about it, Xbox360 or PS3 -$300-$600,
    you shouldn't be playing it on a $300 TV!!!!!!

you can get a refurb Sony XBR 34in CRT HDTV for $700 at the Sony Outlet. I know its not skinny, but its at least HD.