1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Marvel movies dead?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RKREBORN, Oct 6, 2023.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Just rewatched the 2012 Avengers movie, man what a ride. Great memories from when I first saw it. I feel as if after Endgame, none of the movies were any good. Sad that we may never return to those glory days.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I miss those days of having a crappy movie released every week.

Uprising and Invisible Fan like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

paging @Xerobull our marvel scientist for any news and comments.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

No, but they’re certainly on the ropes. The quality of the next few is very important.

DreamShook, Ziggy, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

They basically cherry picked from the comics, and I think what happened is they ran out of quality source material. They have a ton of mediocre content to work from, but they do know how to make a movie, they know how to cast, but all the good stuff was likely picked clean. So what they've run into is they have nothing left to steal and now they gotta take some of the lesser content, get creative with it, and write. But it will be unproven material. So that's something they have to prove they can do well.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

good thing stan lee left when marvel was still kinda aite

Invisible Fan and clos4life like this.
  7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

They just grew too fast and too far.

Phase 1 - they put out 6 movies in 4 years. (1.5 movies/year)
    Phase 2 - 6 in 2 years (3 movies/year)
    Phase 3 - 11 in 3 years (3.67 movies/ year)
    Phase 4 - 7 in 2 years (3.5 movies/year)
    Phase 5 - 7 planned for 2 years (3.5 movies/year)

Also in phase 4 they started folding TV shows into the MCU and started producing several addition mini series on top of movies.

There's simply not enough writing, behind the camera, special effects and acting talent to support all those TV shows and movies now. The result is a heavily watered down, mediocre product. That in turn adds to the superhero fatigue that was already settling in.

To answer the OP, maybe not dead but significantly watered down and truly special/memorable movies will be few and far between.

8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Currently, there is no overarching goal that ties all of the movies together. I think the stones/Thanos goal helped drive each individual movie and led to a fantastic conclusion.

Since Endgame, the next goal really hasn't been established...nor do we have a cast of next generation superheroes step up to carry the studio. I know it was a cash grab, but we all could've done without the tv shows and mini-series. Just focus on your multi-billion dollar profit per movie goal and let's get the next big thing rolling. But it can't be the same template as before.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There is, it's just that nobody cares anymore because as @xcrunner51 said it's been watered down. It's Kang and the multiverse unraveling (all explained in Loki). It will all culminate in Secret Wars where the MCU will be soft-rebooted and they will bring in the Fox properties, most notably the X-Men.

They seem to be addressing the watering down, pulling back on release schedule, focusing on quality over quantity. It's why Bob Iger was brought back to Disney.

CCity Zero, Invisible Fan and Yung-T like this.
  10. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Pretty much, I am hopeful Loki will be good though

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping for a surprise at some point. Say you are watching the Marvels for completeness and Captain Marvel shows up to fight whatever villain is suppose to be in the movie over some mystrerious phenomenon, but Galactus is attracted to the phenomenon as well and just devours her and the villain along with the rest of the planet as a cameo. I hate knowing the plot/villain before the movie, but it is almost impossible except for the Marvels who I have no idea who the villain is.

Okay, this may be me just wanting Galactus, and knowing a lot of people hate Captain Marvel.

Xerobull likes this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The streaming saturation absolutely hurt the product in a huge way.

The MCU movie felt like a major event we got 2 or 3 times a year, now there's constant Marvel. Even if you don't need to watch them (and I haven't for a while now), you still feel like you are missing out on important details, which is annoying. The lack cohesion was the other killer.

Chadwick Boseman unexpectedly passing away and tanking the value of their hottest property sure didn't help either.

DreamShook, MadMax, Jontro and 3 others like this.
  13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

What was the last memorable marvel movie that gave you guys chills and special feelings? I’m sure there has been some since the ones on my listing: the Spider-Man movies with Tom Holland, Especially the first two I did not feel that tingling feeling on the last one although it was still good the first two movies with Tom Holland were absolutely the best Spider-Man- great villains and setup

… This is only my opinion but those were the two at the very top of what they offered when Marvel was really cooking , first iron man is up there as well as well as winter soldier ….Regardless of how you feel about marvel they had a really good run

14. Buck Turgidson

How about not dead but hibernating?

Maybe maybe no?

#14 Buck Turgidson, Oct 6, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'll still watch, but their recent approach to making these movies aren't really to my liking. If anything, they should just pander solely to kids and make every movie PG13 or below if they're going lobotomize everything that's enjoyable and stick to a planned, commericalized, and patronizing script.

They're taking more risks away from source material which is pretty much "making it up" as they come along. I guess there's too much offensive or "toxic" material fro, the 70s-90s because some of the source comics used nowadays is from post-takeover Marvel or something.

**** I didn't grow up with or bother to read later when I had the chance...

Bit of a mean reversion with regards to quality (not Fox or Sony quality...yet) as dumbass artistes and auteurs try to "shake things up" when all the original core geeks wanted was a faithful retelling that made the original 2D comics Pop on the screen.

It wasn't a bad 5-7 year Golden run...

Jontro likes this.
  16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The brand is damaged not just by saturation, but saturation with a lot of junk.

Overconfidence led them to believe anything they tossed out would be loved. Oh well.

The next movie is The Marvels. If their movies aren't already dead, they'll closer to dead very soon.

robbie380 and Invisible Fan like this.
  17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

That’s exactly why a casual like myself doesn’t watch these. Throwing in stuff I don’t know or care about just makes me skip it alltogether. I want to invest in a movie, not 50. I enjoyed the Loki show til the end, then it totally lost me, and I won’t be going back

18. Buck Turgidson

Expecting me to have read a bunch of books (Star Wars) or seen a bunch of kiddie cartoons (Star Wars and Marvel) just to understand what's going on in the grownup stuff...

...ain't nobody got time for that

Invisible Fan and Jontro like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Just put on Werewolf By Night and she absolutely loves it.

Marvel should be creative and do more 1-off features like this. You always have the option to do a 2nd followup thing with the same character(s) sometime later. Pretty much just like a comic book.

A_3PO likes this.
  20. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Yes. The new MCU is Mattel Cinematic Universe.

After Barbie's success, here comes Hot Wheels, MOTU (He-Man), and American Girl