1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Macbooks worth it?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Mar 12, 2016.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I definitely recommend samsung as well, but he should go with the 850, 840 actually had issues with TLC, and if you're still using 840 should look up firmware updates, you can apply them on mac/pc directly from samsung. Essentially without the updates you'll lose performance over time (I can't recall how much you lose, but it has been significant enough that there's a ton of info/articles on the net).

Also 850 is cheap enough now... You can get 250/500gb for $75/150 (and sometimes less than that).

Other than samsung, I agree sandisk/even some new pny drives, but it's a lot easier with samsung since not as many models with different naming conventions to figure out.

1 person likes this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hehe, yeah it was crazy deal... There's a lot of places to buy used, just make sure it's authorized apple seller, on macs I recommend buying the extra warranty because when I've done repairs (I fix stuff on my own, I even fix their phones too), parts like mobo/logic board etc can run more vs normal pc. Also don't get me wrong I don't hate apples (or their users :)), I just think it's better to get more power from non sleek laptop vs looking good at coffee shop... However apple's do have their uses and I think with what you described in your use scenario it will be a great choice.

Anyway back on topic, I think I'd start with looking at apple's refurbished: http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
    And then check comparable prices on the net, the thing that's nice on this is a refurbished from apple is it is going to look new to you, and Apple isn't going to do a ****ty job or con you. The nice thing is you can also attach apple care here and still come out ahead vs brand new. But any authorized reseller should be good, just make sure you can attach their warranty to it. I mean it's nice, for example if the board fails you aren't out $600+ and they'll replace it for free, I mean the chances are probably slim... But man knowing I can't get parts cheap through even 3rd party makes me consider it on them (and I normally never buy warranty on anything, I pretty much fix/upgrade any tech/car just about anything).

Also, if you or one of you're family members has an edu email address for school or you know someone working for them I think you can get additional discounts. I know on the edu thing you just have to sign up through them and it's like additional 10% off.

One other thing is I think Apple might do a refresh soonish so you might be able to get a 2015 model (current model) even cheaper soon. Iirc without looking up I want to say refreshes happen around March on some of the pros. But you can probably Google that. I mean even a bit older is fine too, really what you're looking for is most bang for your buck performance wise, don't buy into new model automatically means better, I mean for example you could find 2013 pro that might be spec'd better than 2015 non-pro macbook etc.

Another site to check for deal postings is slickdeals.net I know there's similar sites out there, but I've had good luck finding some nice deals.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

To the OP:

short answer: no

long answer: no

Mac is a marketing gimmick which has seen a lot of success. There are very few things they do better than the other 95% of (mostly windows) PCs that get sold. There are many things they do worse. Do not buy for your purposes.

4. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Macs are SO much better than PCs IMO. Lasts longer and rarely has any problems.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I like it for the light weight, great battery life and durability.

Ambivalent about the OS. In fact, I would prefer Windows but I've installed it on my MacBook and the battery life sinks to 2 hours from the 14 or so that OSX gives me.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

:rolleyes:

Really? What is your battery life on macbook?
    Most tests don't identify it as longest lasting. Of the top 10 results there would normally be 1-2 mac models in there, and not in top spot.
    Ie
    http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/all-day-strong-longest-lasting-notebooks

Your answer was the classic mac marketing response....

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The older ones seem to wear out pretty easy. I've been through too many of these things. The outer sleeve of the wire seems to come off pretty easily after a while.

I'm usually pretty careful with my chargers too, and I don't move them around much either unless I have to. So I'm just not sure what it is. I've heard similar complaints from other Macbook owners as well. I know they've made a new charger since that that seems to have a sturdier outer sleeve for the wiring.

Yeah if that's the case then I definitely agree, especially with the pricing being what it is.

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

If you actually believe this then you don't know what you're talking about.

I would ignore most of the stuff in this thread and just go to an apple store and play around with the macs there for a while. I know quite a lot of people that don't use any advanced media programs. They just use their macs for everyday computer needs and they love them and would not go back to Windows. It's personal preference.

The Macbook Airs are actually solid if you do the RAM upgrade and CPU. Yes, you can find a cheaper PC with the same specs but you won't get off on that everyday you are using the computer. Get what you like. A computer is a big part of your life and worth it if you are going to pay a little more for a mac.

You can also very easily install Windows 8/10 into a separate partition on the hard drive and it works great.

I'm not saying to get a mac. I'm just saying to go and get a feel for it and decide what you like. There are some things they do a better job at than a PC and somethings they don't. I think posing very very specific questions on an internet board like this can be helpful but any general questions are just going to incite a flame war.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Not bad advice, but this can be dangerous. It's very possible to go in wanting a Mac Mini and walk out with a $2k 27" 5K iMac, I've seen it happen. I don't go there anymore unless it's for some type of store pickup from an online purchase. My self control and bank account just can't handle the pressure.

I'd suggest watching every single online review that you can, multiple times. Go to Best Buy to actually put your hands on the products. Then purchase online from B&H Photo for the discount, no tax, and free shipping.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Did no one else see where he said he's just going to use it to browse CF, YouTube, and open PDFs? Do all of you really think he needs a $1500 Mac to do that?

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You can get a macbook air for under 1K.

12. HR Dept

I think OP just wants a Mac. He could get a $200 Chromebook to fit uses that he listed... But if you have the means, nothing wrong with wanting a Benz instead of a Kia.

Though I will admit that a Mac is def overkill.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Buy a $200 POS and donate the rest to someone in need, like me. (My raise this year literally made me LOL when my manager told me.)

My birthday is in early April... just sayin.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

OP, I have read the entire thread along with your responses and I am still convinced that I have the right answer to meet your needs which I mentioned in the first page.

You haven't convinced me otherwise.

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

I think im leaning towards this. I might end up not buying one. I gotta help out my dad. Must resist myself.

16. cebu

cebu Member

it's not worth it if it's just for browsing.

17. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I own two MacBooks. One I've had for ten years and the other about four. I had to replace the logic board on the first one but otherwise have had no problems. They're great investments. I don't think anyone thinks of Apple products as status symbols any longer. They are expensive and arguably overpriced but if you can afford one you'll probably save yourself future frustrations.

In regards to the charging cables--the new ones actually seem flimsier. I tore one by wrapping it daily for storage. They last longer if you store the cable unwrapped.

18. HR Dept

Also, just to note, and for someone who's researching... If anyone says they've had a MacBook for longer than a year or so to date then they're talking about the MacBook Pro or Air. The MacBook wasn't released until last spring.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

You can actually load osx (latest version) on a pc now if you're also interested in it (along with Linux/windows etc.).. Of course apple frowns upon it but whatever: http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-run-os-x-on-pc-3632329/

This is what I mentioned earlier, but no link. There's also a ton of other dedicated resources for this kind of stuff. Apple really made it a lot easier once they became regular PCs (before it was more of a challenge due to different architecture in some respects, but now with Intel over the last 8-9 years this has made it possible even for non computer crowd).

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

On a side note, if your current computer is just slow from virus and isn't ancient, you could always load osx/Linux there...