1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are handles really Jabari's Problem?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LikeMike, Jul 12, 2022.

1. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I am sorry for the new thread - but I don't get it and maybe I am just not understanding the meaning of handles:

To me handles are, how tight you handle the basketball. Bad handles mean, you are very lose and turnover prone with the basketball.

That doesn't seem to be the problem with Jabari. He doesn't turn the ball over, when he puts the ball on the floor. He is comfortable bringing the ball up the court after a defensive rebound, or putting the ball on the floor when he is posting up or driving by his man in a straight line to the basket.

What he is not is crafty. He can't use his dribble to create seperation or fake a defender out. A big part of this problem are also his feet and upper body. He doesn't use the quickness he shows on defense - and another part is his mentality: he seems to prefer to take a contested midrange shot over a drive to the paint.

Let's take James Harden as a comparison. For a long time his handles weren't very good - he was very lose with the ball, often losing it for a fraction of a second while he was driving. But he is extremely crafty. He can get by almost anyone. Or let's talk about Chet. He definetly can dribble, but he is also lose with the ball - in his last game he had several turnovers because of his poor handles (while still being able to do creative dribble moves).

So I don't think his handles are the problem - it's his drbbling move-set and his offensive mentality. And I think he can and will work on both. Or am I wrong of how I am understanding handles? If so, can you show me examples of his bad handles?

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think in a more open NBA system, he will show better "handles" once he gets comfortable.

The stuff is there to make rim runs etc off of closeouts.

I remember about 6-9 months ago we were complaining about Jalen's handle and that proved to be a non-worry.

3. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Here is a college scouting video of Smith. While I don‘t agree with everything being said, he shows his „handles“ in this video. We see him several times driving to the basket, at 2:15 we see him grabbing the rebound, taking the ball up the court, dribbling by a defender that tries to steal the ball behind his back and finishes with a layup in traffic. We also see him do a dribble step back shot or a dribble in the paint for a jump shot.

Again, I don‘t think his handles are his problem (also not his strength) - it is more, that he doesn‘t trust them as much and has trouble to create seperation.

4. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

I think it's a hinderance to him...and I'm a little worried that our lack of a true PG will hamper his development

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  5. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Not having confidence in his dribbling ability is I think the biggest part of his problem and I think it will improve drastically over the next few years because John Lucas and the rest of our coaching staff will work with him on it and it’s something Jabari himself sees as a weakness for himself. The athleticism he shows on defense is because he’s much more comfortable and therefore confident and assured in what he’s doing. Once he adds more strength and gets more confident in his dribbling ability he’ll begin to look much better.

Easy and Amel like this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

His handles are definitely not a plus.

A couple of times in college and now in the summer league he’s just flat out mishandled the ball with no real defensive pressure.

Im not really worried though because with the skillset he has and his height he only needs to get marginally better there to be a perennial all star.

If he becomes exponentially better handling the ball you’re talking superstar.

MrButtocks and red5rocket like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

his dribbles suxs, but his problem is that he needs to tank up like dwert howand.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don’t know. I’m starting to think he’s more of a modern big than a forward. I think by year 4 or 5 he’ll be a PF/C with muscle and better handles than most at his position.

Just one of those things people won’t see till the league keeps changing like Batum at PF or JJJ at C.

9. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

His "dribbling move-set" is part of what's called his "handles" -- all his dribbling skills put together = handles. So, control, creativity, timing... having the tool kit and reaction time to adjust in a microsecond to a defender's movements, create space...

#9 burlesk, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    jiggyfly and dmoneybangbang like this.
  10. maj21

maj21 Member

We don’t even need him to have great handles. I know y’all hate Wood, but if Jabari had his level of handles and finishing around the rim, he can be a star. I think he can absolutely reach that level

kdchilds and ApacheWarrior like this.
  11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He just needs more confidence in his handling, it’ll be fine.

Amel likes this.
  12. ikedog34

ikedog34 Member

I think he needs the muscle. When he dribbles he tries to keep the defender on his hip because he knows his handles aren't there. He's right, he just needs the beef to keep them on that side while he goes.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It's kinda a mechanical dribble in the sense it's always a high dribble.
    Little to no bend at the waist.

I've always felt he would work on dribbling at different levels of height
    at the pro level.......so I never allowed that knock on him to be a concern.

Thin in the upper body bumps him off his path. That also can be
    lessened as he gains more bulk, being that he just turned 19.
    Durant acts out and draws the foul. Jabari needs acting lessons.
    Vs Banchero, Jabari was bear hugged the entire game....needed
    to yell out like he was being mugged. Say, "Stop Holding Me!"

Harden couldn't be bumped off his path easily because of his
    girth and shoulders. Not all players are built the same, but
    all players need to find what works for them. I still say
    Derrick Coleman with a better 3-pt shot.....as he cleans
    up his *dribbling, adds more bulk and becomes a greater
    presence near the rim.

*Different levels of height in his dribble, hesitation or pausing for effect as well.
    Between the legs moves with counter moves.

burlesk likes this.
  14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Let’s keep wood and LockSmith out of the same sentence. I’m still a lil scarred

burlesk and glynch like this.
  15. maj21

maj21 Member

It’s not that serious lol

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It's a plethora of things that affect his dribble drive game. Footwork, Strength, ability to read the defender, confidence, and obviously dribbling package.

If you watch great PF's in the past like KG, Bosh, Duncan etc. in the high post, they don't take more than 2-3 dribbles to get to their spots. But their moves are decisive and polishes. Jabari a lot of the times don't go anywhere with his dribbles and just awkwardly pulls up.

17. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I remember the football movie "The Program" where the guy kept fumbling the ball and they had him carry it everywhere. Silas is going to have Jabari dribbling everywhere. The Galleria...dribbling. TurkeyLeg Hit...dribbling...Landry's...dribbling...During massages...umm nevermind :)

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

That’s exactly why we want him to have a handle, so he can be a star

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. maj21

maj21 Member

That’s my point! I’m saying he just needs average handles. He doesn’t need a KD handle or anything, just be average and he’s good to go

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I feel you just point out his most immediate need: to work on his footsteps, especially near the basket. Two or three moves and you go. It's not hard to learn, and he should master them in time.