1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Chris Paul, Dwight Howard in race to L.A.?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Dec 5, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]...

In a lot of ways, the Hornets and Orlando Magic are in a race to make a deal with the Los Angeles Lakers for Paul and Howard. They’re running so many scenarios across the big boards in their offices, but make no mistake: Los Angeles is the port that can entice Paul and Howard to sign extensions, with the one player – young center Andrew Bynum(notes) – as a centerpiece that can justify the trade.

The Lakers and Hornets talked several days ago, league sources told Yahoo! Sports, but it was one of those circuitous conversations that left the sides unclear what it would take to get a deal done, and the talk ended with no formal offers. The Lakers and Hornets expect to speak again this week, sources said. The prospect of Pau Gasol(notes) as the primary player going to the Hornets won’t be acceptable, sources said. The Lakers will ultimately be willing to let New Orleans pick its player in the deal – Bynum or Gasol – but New Orleans is determined to get quality, and quantity, in a deal.

Bynum has privately been heard to say this offseason that he wants his own team, and the chances of him getting that – in New Orleans or Orlando – have never been higher. Years ago, Kobe Bryant(notes) wanted Bynum moved for Jason Kidd(notes), but Bryant’s been insistent all summer that he still believes in this core, isn’t interested in wholesale change.

Bryant isn’t anti-Dwight Howard, but he could see like everyone else: The Lakers need speed, athleticism and younger legs on the perimeter. Nevertheless, through trades they’ve made and not made, through the hiring of their new coach, the Lakers have made it clear they don’t go to Bryant for his blessing.

For now, it is Paul on the market. Howard’s on deck. The New Jersey Nets will have a package of Brook Lopez(notes) and picks available for the Magic, enticing Howard with Deron Williams(notes) and a new Brooklyn arena to call his own. What’s more, the Chicago Bulls are still a sleeper for Howard, several league executives believe. “Chicago may tell Orlando to take any two players – or three – besides [Derrick] Rose,” one GM said. Howard isn’t keen on the cold weather, but the Bulls would have the best point guard-center combination since Magic and Kareem.

The Bulls have Omar Asik developing fast as a potential replacement for Joakim Noah(notes) should the Bulls include Noah in a package. Noah would have to be a part of it, but would a combination of Noah and Luol Deng(notes) or Carlos Boozer(notes) – bringing back Howard and one of those bad Orlando contracts – be enough? The Magic need a force to replace Howard, an anchor.

In the end, the Magic and Hornets will be searching for teams that can satisfy Paul’s and Howard’s desire for a championship contender, and that list is painfully short when you consider those with the players and assets to fulfill the return on the trade. It won’t be New York, but 3,000 miles away, in Los Angeles, where the Lakers are forever searching for a twentysomething star to be the next in line, where the race to trade Chris Paul and Dwight Howard for a package centered around Andrew Bynum has all but officially started.[/rquoter]

2. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Andrew Bynum is nice and all but why would they be in a race to trade with a team that can't sign neither Paul or Howard outright in the free agency summer next year? Thats the card Melo had with DEN if he left he would sign with NYK anyways in summer of '11

3. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

If Dwight "isn’t keen on the cold weather", then why the hell would he go to New York for the Knicks or the Nets?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

DD

5. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

MWHeisler Mark Heisler
    BYNUM + LAMAR = CP3: Insiders say CP3 is likelier to move. Trade protects Lakes against Drew injury, can still offer Pau for Dwight whenever

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

If both sign with LA, I don't think Im ever watching the NBA again.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

Same. I'll be pissed if CP3 goes to the Knicks, and I'll be really mad if Dwight goes to the Lakers, but both of them? I'll just give up.

8. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Yeah, If that happens, I think we will see the death of the sport. There will be three ridiculous trios in 3 teams.

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

I don't so much mind having only a few contenders- by nature of the sport I've accepted that that will happen- what really gets me mad is that for the most part two franchises have dominated the league since it's inception. Ideally, the Lakers should reach a lull where they're bad, then mediocre before their next dynasty- but their lulls seem to be only a month or two long whereas other teams haven't been good in decades.

10. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

He is my question for the Magics and, to a lesser extent, the Hornets.

By all accounts, D-Howard is a nice guy. He is down-to-earth and genuinely cares the city and fans. By comparisons, Bynum is not a nice guy. His actions on and off the court show that he is immature. Now if D-Howard doesn't want to be on your team, then what in the world makes you think Bynum is going to want to stick around?

I understand that you don't want to lose Howard for nothing and that Bynum is under contract, but why get a long-term rental when the chances of Bynum staying don't seem very good. Essentially, the only reasons Bynum would stay beyond his current contract is you can offer him the most money. But with Bynum's proven immaturity, what makes the Magic think they can keep him happy long enough to reap the rewards? Why not just break it all up and get as many picks and young prospects as you can?

Same questions goes out to the Hornets, except CP3 has shown he is a bit more of an a-hole than D-Howard and resembles Bynum's attitude more closely.

11. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Bull****!

We couldn't get one of those guys to come to Houston even if we traded away our entire team, but the Lakers can trade Odom, Bynum, and Gasol for Howard and Paul?

12. supdudes

supdudes Member

Well geewwwwwwd for them

Maybe it bring them nearer to our level ;)

13. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Screw all those Super Stars. I hope they all get injured and become like Yao Ming/Tmac and teams are stuck with them for 4-5 years. :cool:

14. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7320941/chris-paul-new-orleans-hornets-traded-season-sources-say

15. Raven

Raven Member

And this is why I argued the new CBA should have a franchise tag. Also, I think owners are going to be very happy about the six year out clause, because I think attendance plummets once even the dumbest fans realize over 20 NBA franchises are nothing more than glorified farm teams.

1 person likes this.
  16. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard
    Sources say Lakers have plans to go after Dwight Howard AND CP3. Everyone not named Kobe is available.

17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Chris Paul

Kobe Bryant

Luke Walton

DJ Mbenga

Dwight Howard

hmm. I really don't know how Kobe can adapt to playing off the ball.

18. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

atleast this would help ensure "The Chosen One" doesn't ever get a ring.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Article is full of fail... first, Howard and Paul would not be the best pg combo since Magic and Kareem... Penny and Shaq would be as good, if not better..

Second, I am sure the Bulls would offer any two players not named Rose, but Orlando can do better than that...

This super team stuff is getting boring....

20. Nook

Nook Member

Orlando would not do Howard for Pau... makes no sense for them.