1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are changes even necessary?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by spysta, Apr 10, 2010.

1. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

Wayyyy too much to give up for Bosh... if we manage to get Bosh it will be for much less...

I think we should go after Camby or Jermaine O'neal then we'd be set.

2. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

We need one more guy who can bring some starpower..

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Somebody asked Morey about Camby on 610 radio. He said those level of players won't make a difference and that only all-stars do.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

a massive overrating of our players as usual. Bosh is better than both Brooks and Scola,(This is a fact, i'm not even going to argue it) and you wouldn't trade them straight up for him.

Either way the OP has it all wrong. It's not about JUST making the playoffs, it's about doing something once we get there too. Looking at how the elite teams are, they are stacked...which is why you try and bring in a Bosh or Amare or whoever to contend directly against the Lakers.

If you get Bosh you are on the Lakers level. You have a go to guy on the perimeter. You have a finesse PF that is probably better than what they have, then you have a Center also better than theirs (assuming Yao can play his way back to the level he was at.)

ASSUMING we trade Brooks for Bosh. We'd match up to them very well.

5. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I think that, if all we do is make a nice pick in the draft, we could do big things next year. However, at this level, we have to keep striving to get better, because we will be competing with the very best. We don't get too many shots; we have to make max efforts at improving every year.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Whoever just said that Bosh is not a significant upgrade from Scola or AB doesn't who WTF they're talking about.

And Jermaine O'Neil....Really?

you'd rather have O'neil than Bosh?

facepalm/

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Like others mentioned, the problem is being content with grabbing a playoff spot and being competitive. They want to win a ring. I think we have a great team, but too many of our players only play one side of the ball well. Looking at the top teams they have multiple players out of the top 7 or so who can be solid on either end. We dont. We have Yao and lowry. Everyone else plays one side mainly. Trevor maybe, but he's too inefficient and inconsistent on offense. Hill could be in the mix, but he's too raw to know yet how big of a role he'll play in a championship run.

Amar'e isn't a solid defender, but he's got the tools to be solid on defense with this team, since we play great team d with yao. Bosh is a better defender, and he too will look even better on D as par tof this team. That seems to be what Morey is looking for. Improve the defense at the 4 spot and that's going to leave you with solid D in the frontcourt, which is most important as we realized this year.

8. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I agree, just keep the players that you have and add back up 5 for yao and we should be doing well next year.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think the point is to not give up a lot to get bosh, and instead give up less to get JO or Camby...which makes sense, it doesnt necessarily mean we prefer them over Bosh.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that seems logical, but going back to what i said about having too many on side players, i think morey sees this and realizes we have a solid team to compete throughout games, but in the final minutes you need the 5 out there to be the best. We can sub in lowry in a game when we need to push the ball and get fouls, we can sub in jeffries when we need height and a mobile big, etc. Those changes can work within 48 mins of a game...but when you shorten the game, let's say it's tied with 2 mins left. That's basically a new game, 0-0 , 2 mins long. You can't make several subsitutions in that span...literally you can, but it's not going to amount to anything, there won't be any rythm and you'll be exchanging one talent for another during a time every single posession is crucial. that's why we do poorly in crunch time. but imagine if you could have a big who can score, can also defend, and is also literally big...solves that problem..

11. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

I'm with Morey in that I agree we cannot stand pat, we don't have the roster for it. I think everyone would agree that with Yao, we're a high level team but not an elite team. All elite level teams have one thing in common: a dominant scorer. Yao and Martin are quiet scorers. Brooks is a streaky scorer, meaning he has to feel it and be in rhythm. We need someone who has the ability to turn it on at will and overcome the opposition through sheer force and talent alone.

We at least need a Joe Johnson caliber to be able to compete for a championship. I think Morey knows that and understands that this free agency will be the last opening to compliment Yao with a championship team for the next 3-4 years. Morey's mindset this summer is get another all-star at any sensible cost and if they can't, then he believes he has failed.

12. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

add jermaine oneal without losing anyone on the team, or trade for bosh and lose possibly 2 of our top 6 players, yeah ok i dont know what im talking about

getting bosh hasnt even put the raptors in the playoffs in the east, how does it put in a conversation with lakers in the west being that we would have to give up some key contributors

bosh+east+playoffs=fail

13. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I think we're poised to make a deep playoff run. No major are needed, assuming Scola and Lowry are resigned.

Yao could derail the train if he does leave for another team, but I think somehow he remains a Rocket.

Definitely would not hurt to obtain a reliable, legit 7 foot backup. Camby has said he would like to finish his career in Houston, but I have a feeling Portland is going to hang on to him. Pryzbilla has an ETO, maybe he is obtainable. He knows he wouldn't get much playing time behind Camby and Oden.

14. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

This was my point as well... O'neal or Camby would be a backup to Yao... not a starter. I did not mean that I want O'neal over Bosh, in fact I think we should try to get Bosh and O'neal/Camby....

15. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

We just need another legit PF/C combo who can score.

Bosh, of course would be nice.

David West is shorter than ideal, but he and Scola would be unstoppable.

I think Morey will try to get a guy we haven't considered much.

I don't think we'll be able to get a top-tier guy, but more of someone who addresses a height and scoring need.

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Good idea.

Jermaine still has a lot left in the tank. Give him a new situation with a motivating coach, and I think he'd benefit.

17. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

To those saying add Jermaine or Camby instead of an all-star, are you saying that just either one of those guys will make us an elite level team? That we'll be able to stand toe-to-toe with the Lakers or Cavaliers through the sole addition of Camby/Jermaine and Yao? I think not.

The question is what will make us an elite team and that's why anything other than another all-star isn't good enough. Old veterans who are well past their prime are not going to do it.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Defense is not the problem. Not having a 7-6 center on offense and defense is. He contributes more to this team than anyone else, given that he stays healthy.

On offense, he can draw attention, double teams, and pretty much get his shot off whenever he wants...

On defense, he can intimidate in the paint, and block those who attempt to drive on him...

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Jermaine O'Neil won't be signing here for The MLE.

He could easily get paid 8-10 million per next year. How do you expect to sign him? We still have to sign Scola and Lowry therefore the only way we get a useful Big man is either through the draft or a sign and trade/straight trade.

A Combo of Yao and Bosh is the only way we matchup and dominate a Bynum/Gasol Laker front court.

Scola and Yao won't get past the Lakers for the next 2 years.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, let's give up 2 of our best players, and starters for one.

Gut the team, like we did for Tmac, how did that work out again?

Hey, maybe we can keep signing mediocre players at the MLE...and be around .500 every year, what a hoot.

Bosh...PFFT.....what has he led, exactly? He is a stats warrior, an upgrade over Scola but not a HUGE upgrade, and then to toss in Brooks.

Man, that is just flat out ignorant.

DD

#40 DaDakota, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
    1 person likes this.